PLASTIC! and of course I got robbed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLASTIC! and of course I got robbed

Ok so I live in texas and of course carry a handgun, I don't always carry it on me but will hide it in a case. Well of course my gun came up missing, I looked all around the truck trying to find it, figuring it slid under the seat. Nope, no where to be found. I didn't think my truck got broken into since my H&S mini max was still hanging on the windshield. Thats when I looked at the driver's side door.

Low and behold, the lock cylinder had been pushed in allowing someone to jimmy open the door lock. Well after reporting the break in and the stolen hand gun to the police. I took the door apart to prevent someone from breaking into my truck again. What did I find, the freaking cylinder is only held in by a small piece of plastic.....WTF?

So I didn't even bother replacing the door handle with a new lock and cylinder, I just ordered the back driver's side door handle. Since it does not have a locking cylinder and I disabled all of the brackets within the door. I also disable the mechanical lock/unlock on the inside of the door. So the only way to unlock the door is electronically. gonna suck when the battery dies, but at least for now no one can get into my truck without the remote or code.

I sent a lovely email to Ford customer service, they didn't have much to say other than I should contact my insurance company!!!! Are they certious? I am very upset with Ford, my truck cost over $64,000 and they could care less, they already got their money out of me.

Last edited by 71ranger; 01-25-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to A8050266 Send a message via MSN to A8050266 Send a message via Yahoo to A8050266
Bummer dude.
Before I get broken into (has not happened yet)
I did the same Door mod back when I got my truck.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Around my area there has been over 20+ ford superdutys stolen in the last 2 weeks in my county for this reason...Its hard to believe that these trucks cost so much and they are relatively easy to break into....
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do I hear class action law suit?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

How hard was it to change the door panel with no lock cylinder??.. What a joke about the plastic...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM

They have been breaking into these trucks the same way since 1999. Now since you removed the door lock they will just pry behind the door handle and mess up the door skin. Your best bet is an alarm and a GPS tracker.

Last edited by Need4racin; 01-26-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to A8050266 Send a message via MSN to A8050266 Send a message via Yahoo to A8050266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2011dieselpower View Post
How hard was it to change the door panel with no lock cylinder??.. What a joke about the plastic...
Very easy modification. the hard part is getting the replacement one painted to match as Ford does not sell them pre painted.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4racin View Post
They have been breaking into these trucks the same way since 1999. Now since you removed the door lock they will just pry behind the door handle and mess up the door skin. Your best bet is an alarm and a GPS tracker.
This is very true, If a thief has identified your truck as their next target.
This mod will only slow them down. it wont stop them. I will say though if a thief is use to breaking into these trucks he will be confused when theirs no door cylinder to pry out. and when/if he does pryy out the handle assembly their will be no rod to pull upwards either. making it just that much harder to break in. these few seconds could be the difference
between a loss and a NON LOSS.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Plastic behind the lock cylinder or not, They want in your truck they're getting in your truck... I'm sorry this happened and I understand your frustration but putting metal behind the cylinder is only going to slow them down.

And to whomever said class action lawsuit YOU are exactly what is wrong with this country. After that you can start suing glass companies for allowing it to break?

Good idea on the rear door handle for the front, hopefully it will deter them next time.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM

That's why I installed the aftermarket Ford alarm in my SD. Very sad that these are so easy to steal. No excuse with today's technology. Although in this case, it's bad design/material that is causing the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.