Faulty DEF Pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Faulty DEF Pump

Service engine soon light came on at 21K miles. Dealer code directed to faulty DEF Pump in tank. Ford informed me that part wasnt going to be available until late February. Dealer kept truck 2 weeks then decided to take one off newly arrived King Ranch and install. Anyone else heard of this? Seems strange that the part was unavailabe until late Feb. Hope its not a quality issue.

Thanks,

JK
2011 F-250 SRW Lariat 4X4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nope... you are the first...what did they give you to drive?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gave me a 2010 F-150 Platinum, 4X4. Pretty nice truck but the 250 rides much better!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Took truck in yesterday, they kept it! Ford told them to remove the DEF tank and check the pump/sensors. My DEF indicator has showed above 1/2 since last Sep. Have driven over 6K mi since refilling it. In Sep. I had run it down to >800 mi. warning, put 2.5 gal. in and the warning did not reset. Stopped at a remote (we were on a trip) Ford dealer had it checked and they put another 2gals in and it reset. This indication was listed on the original 400/800 fix list so I did not think anything of it. Had the re-flash done when we got home, ECL light came on about 100 mi. later. Went back to dealer and they reset it and said something about it was detecting a DEF leak and to watch for leakage. Light came on before I got home (20mi). When I went in for the shift re-flash they checked it again and said Ford was looking into it, not to worry. So right now I am driving a brand new Fusion, nice car but still a car! One advantage, did not affect the running of it when it was not pumping. Dealer just called, new pump should be in tomorrow, we'll see what happens
Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Took truck in yesterday, they kept it! Ford told them to remove the DEF tank and check the pump/sensors. My DEF indicator has showed above 1/2 since last Sep. Have driven over 6K mi since refilling it. In Sep. I had run it down to >800 mi. warning, put 2.5 gal. in and the warning did not reset. Stopped at a remote (we were on a trip) Ford dealer had it checked and they put another 2gals in and it reset. This indication was listed on the original 400/800 fix list so I did not think anything of it. Had the re-flash done when we got home, ECL light came on about 100 mi. later. Went back to dealer and they reset it and said something about it was detecting a DEF leak and to watch for leakage. Light came on before I got home (20mi). When I went in for the shift re-flash they checked it again and said Ford was looking into it, not to worry. So right now I am driving a brand new Fusion, nice car but still a car! One advantage, did not affect the running of it when it was not pumping. Dealer just called, new pump should be in tomorrow, we'll see what happens
Ive posted about this problem here and other sites. Very long story, but i got a Focus rental and was furious. I bought a 1ton truck because i do more than grocery shop with it. They kept telling me 1-2days till the new pump comes in. I heard that for 12days and finally heard enough of it. I called ford customer service directly and told them my issue, it was a hour and half phone call, because the girl was very thorough and made calls to get answers while i was on the phone with her. Anyways, after using all those cell minutes, she told me the part is on a national backorder and wouldnt be available till the 1st or 2nd week in march. That really pissed me off, so i called up my dealer and told them i need the truck back, i cant be without it for 3 more days nevermind 3 more weeks. I was just happy the "diesel tech felt comfortable releasing it" They told me i could lose power while driving though, but the Ford hotline told me its totally fine to drive and a confusion in the PCM. Anyways, i get a call from my local dealer at 5:15 the next night saying the part just got off the truck and i could bring the truck first thing the next morning. So i bring the truck down, the repair takes 3 hours. I pick up the truck, and the service tech tells me "I dont know who you know at Ford, but whoever it is took care of you, they took the part off the assembly line and overnighted it to us."
I was very happy to hear that, and the wish i got the girls name at Ford customer service because i would call her for any future issues...although i hope theres none.

So all that being said, i hope your part actually comes in when your dealer says it will
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Got my truck back today, new DEF pump, finally got the ECL off! Running great, will wait and see if the pump lasts.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 AM

This just came up the other day with a friends truck. Ford told him it is a very common problem and there is 30,000. pumps being shippeed out to dealers in North America. I can't verify the number, but even if it is half, thats a big problem.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:31 AM

But it's not like the truck dies. The truck still runs fine, just have a ECL. One advantage-no DEF is used, so you are actually saving money. I would not classify this a BIG problem, just a little glitch in a totally new technology that will be worked out. At least it's not like some of the DEF problems with GM that leave you in limp mode.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My used 2011 F350 had the DEF pump replaced 4 months ago. At the 3 month point the pump went bad and now after the truck being at the dealership for a month still no pump. I was told yesterday, 25 June, that there is no estimated time for delivery of a new pump. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I havent been on the forum in a while, but I got the dash warning light couple days ago. Dealer said the DEF pump is bad and the pumps are backordered til June 10. Does anyone know if these pumps are being replaced at no cost because im reading that this pump in my 2011 was originally defective?? I already started a case with Ford today and dont want to wait til June or pay the $800 to have it replaced. Also, i was told my truck could go into limp mode if the pump completely goes out???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.