Extended idleing or Freeze - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Extended idleing OK I will

I'm a new owner of a F250 SD 6.7 power stroke
I travel all over with 5th wheel and at work my truck is my office. I was in North west MN
All winter last year with temps droping to 40 below zero I stayed warm in GMC truck. So I learned about this new diesel and thought it would be great for me and so did the dealer Also they sold me a $1700 DVD player. Then I read owners manual. I was upset to find out that idling causes damage especially in cold weather. I ran engine last winter on avg. 6 hours per day. Now I just bought this truck a week ago. Now if your not able to idle longer than 10 min
And you can't watch a DVD in truck when not running (dead battery) why would anyone even buy one besides me or buy the truck if you sit at idle. Two trade-ins and 37000 dollars later I feel like a idiot after just reading the owners manual. No idle info in testing of engine nor none by the Ford Dealer. I told them what I needed truck for and what I did. The SEIC is my only option for helping with extended idle. Now 2 days later I found ouy by the lead designer and builder that it's ok to idle for days. And if extreme temps you can still let idle all day just drive down the road to blow out condensate at end of day. Idle on NO Problem!!!

Last edited by Lad533; 07-21-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Not a problem to idle except condensate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Letting the truck idle won't hurt it, but it will consume more urea and cause regen to be more frequent. Now, the high idle will help with this and having dual deep cycle batts will allow you to watch the dvd player for long periods of time. If nothing else, just hold the pedal down for a few minutes every few hours.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Are they doing the cab heater or supplemental heat option on these trucks?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Emergency Services

I believe it's California only models that have the 10 min idle thing
Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
Letting the truck idle won't hurt it, but it will consume more urea and cause regen to be more frequent. Now, the high idle will help with this and having dual deep cycle batts will allow you to watch the dvd player for long periods of time. If nothing else, just hold the pedal down for a few minutes every few hours.
Thanks for the info, Lad533
Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to cgpuddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad533 View Post
I'm a new owner of a F250 SD 6.7 power stroke
I travel all over with 5th wheel and at work my truck is my office. I was in North west MN
All winter last year with temps droping to 40 below zero I stayed warm in GMC truck. So I learned about this new diesel and thought it would be great for me and so did the dealer Also they sold me a $1700 DVD player. Then I read owners manual. I was upset to find out that idling causes damage especially in cold weather. I ran engine last winter on avg. 6 hours per day. Now I just bought this truck a week ago. Now if your not able to idle longer than 10 min
And you can't watch a DVD in truck when not running (dead battery) why would anyone even buy one besides me or buy the truck if you sit at idle. Two trade-ins and 37000 dollars later I feel like a idiot after just reading the owners manual. No idle info in testing of engine nor none by the Ford Dealer. I told them what I needed truck for and what I did. The SEIC is my only option for helping with extended idle.

If you hate the truck so much sell it to one of the guys on here drooling over them
Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile Idle issue resolved

I have been told by a Engineer with Ford that this new engine when tested ran for days with no problems except with extreme temps. It would condensate. But he said not to worry and that I could idle all day long and just run it down the highway to blow out any moisture. Also their is no need for SEIC unless you have a load on the motor.
Information coming straight from the man who was Program manager for the design and build of this new 6.7 L Power Stroke. I feel good knowing that I could let this motor run for days in normal temperatures with no problems. He said congratulations on your new truck.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Uhh....

SEIC is VERY good for trucks with no load on them...

It's two wires to hook up. It helps prevent wet stacking of carbon (which isn't going to be AS MUCH of an issue with a hot side EGR valve), keeps the coolant temp up, (since I see the P473 does not come with a grille cover...and you want heat, don't you?), and helps keep that moisture he is talking about from building up at all.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mr. Diesel himself (Gryglak) told me not to hook up the SEIC without a load on the motor. No load just idling!
That's for the 2011 6.7
Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lad533 View Post
I have been told by a Engineer with Ford that this new engine when tested ran for days with no problems except with extreme temps. It would condensate.
Whats an "extreme" temp? If I am idling its probably going to be in the U.P. of Michigan so I can power the lights in my trailer to work on my sled. It could be a few hours in temps around 0 F or lower. Am I safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.