6.7 Problems Forum 6.7 Problems Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Regeneration Frequency

We have only sold two or three 6.7 trucks at my dealer, and haven't seen any of them back for service yet.

What are you guys seeing for regeneration frequency on the new trucks? How much does it beat the fuel mileage up when it's in regeneration?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Ford Senior Diesel Technician
2008 F-350 4x4 Off Road 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel
There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.
post #2 of 92 Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 AM

One of my local dealers here let me take one for a couple days earlier this week and I saw the regen message pop up right around 500 or so miles, and saw it for no longer than 10 seconds. Not sure if that was the entire process or not, but it wasnt showing the message for long at all and from what the screen was telling me, it didnt kill the mileage too much.
post #3 of 92 Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Techie

I would imagine (since the 6.4 is now this way) the regeneration message only comes on briefly, and then goes out. If you do a 'system check' through the cluster, you will likely see "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" as one of the last couple messages as you cycle through it.

That was the FIRST regeneration on the truck at 500mi? I wonder how frequently it will regenerate after the initial regeneration. I know my 6.4 truck didn't regenerate for about 600mi the first time, and I typically was doing at least one regeneration per tank. Sometimes twice.

Ford Senior Diesel Technician
2008 F-350 4x4 Off Road 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel
There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.
post #4 of 92 Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My first regen was has approx 150 miles and it took my MPG down 1 -2 based on what the computer was telling me. My second regen was around 250 but I had been idling alot between the first and second so I am discounting the distance between regens as due to the long idle time, especially since I now have about 450 miles on it and I have not seen it do a third regen.
post #5 of 92 Old 06-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I get 2 regens per tank since lifting it. I only get 300 miles per tank (hand calculated and adjusted for my 37's) and that is mixed city and highway.

before lifting it, i would only get one regen and 425 miles per tank.
not sure why the regens kicked in but they kill my mpg's. i can't wait till tuner and a delete.

2011 F250 Golden Bronze/Arizona Beige Fully Loaded King Ranch FX4 with Navigation, 6.7 PSD, 4x4 E-locker, Color Matched Line-x Bed and toolbox, Icon Vehicle Dynamics/One Up Offroad Suspension Lift, BMF Novakaine 8 Chrome 20x10, Toyo M/T 37x13.50x20, Color matched Brake Calipers, Amp Research Steps, H+S Mini Beta, CAT/DPF delete, AFE intake and 1000 watts of JL Audio and Focal
post #6 of 92 Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I'm wondering if regen frequency would stay the same as the truck gets more miles on it?

Back to the blue oval: 08 F350 FX4 CCLB - DPF/EGR delete - Spartan tuner - S&B CAI - 4 in DP to 5 in SP

First truck: Early 99 F350 SC LB ZF6 4WD - SOLD

post #7 of 92 Old 07-01-2010, 02:28 PM

So far I have less than 400 miles on the truck and have seen the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message 3 times. It doesn't feel like it lasts very long and not too sure if this is due to short distance driving while in the Keys, but I plan on getting the truck on the interstate this weekend to see how the truck does.
post #8 of 92 Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
probably every 125-150 miles I am getting a regen, that is just a ballpark, I can watch it drop mileage about 1.5-2mpg

Adam Brannan

First Coast Diesel Performance

post #9 of 92 Old 07-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Has anyone had experience with regen pulling REALLY heavy and hard???? Everyone said with my 6.4 should regen less pulling hard because the EGT's were already hotter, but I found the exact opposite, pulling big and heavy my 6.4 regened every 45 min. and they lasted as long as an hour, usually bringing my milage down in the 3-4mpg range. I am just wondering how regen is going to work on the 6.7 when pulling heavy, I thought I understood that the urea injection ment less regens??????? When I say pulling hard I mean grossing over 30,000lbs or something close to that on long trips.

Fletcher
'90 F250 Supercab IDI 7.3
Banks Sidewinder Turbo
4'' straight pipe
116,000 miles

'94 F250 single cab IDI Factory Turbo 7.3
3'' banks down pipe
Banks pyrometer
3 1/2'' straight pipe
K&N Air filter
Hypermax air intake
Hydrogen Generator
Pump turned up
Timing advanced
315,000 miles!

'89 F250 4x4 supercab 7.3 IDI
4'' exhaust
pump turned way up!!!
297,000 miles
post #10 of 92 Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 AM

Well, took my new 2011 out last night and just finished a 350 mile round trip and the truck regen'd 3 times, each regen took place at 100 to 120 mile intervals, regardless of going 55mph or 70mph, and each regen lasted for approximately 10 miles, based on watching the "Instant MPG" gauge. This is consistant with my previous post of the truck regen'ing 3 times inside of 400 miles. Is it possible the 6.7's are programmed to regen at this mileage as a form of "self-maintenance" ?
My only concern with the truck regen'ing this frequently, is "oil dilution".
Does anyone think this would warrant any concern?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode