Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo/Intake Whining noise, Please help!

20K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  barobbin 
#1 ·
Hello,
2011 6.7 tuned and deleted ~80K miles
Just started my truck to go for a drive and I hear a strange whining noise. Drove a little to see if it would go away but no such luck. Noise sounds like it is coming from my turbo. I can hear it through my exhaust and it gets louder with more throttle, in gear and in park. I found a video on youtube that is the exact same noise I am hearing but the comments just said they replaced the turbo and its better now. Here is a link to the video.

Someone please tell me that this isn't a turbo and could be an easy fix. Please help ASAP!

-Brad

#2 ·
has boost been effected? you can use a stethoscope to pin point where it is. if it's found to be coming from the turbo, then it probably does need a turbo

#7 ·
yea i don't like the sound of that. definitely sounds like it's coming from the turbo. i think the oe replacement is around 3-3500$ from ford and about 5hr labor.
wouldn't be a bad time to check out the '15 conversion kit. several vendors on this site sell them
if the turbo does turn out to be done, that is

#8 ·
oh and make sure you do an oil change after pulling the turbo. coolant floods into the crankcase from the drain once it's removed. lots of coolant.

#9 ·
Yeah, I am leaning towards a 15' conversion. How can I accurately diagnose this? If I need a turbo, I'm definitely not going to put a pre 2015 back in it. And I dont know any reputable shops around my area so I guess I will do the swap myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.