Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Here's one for ya. Out of fuel, but it still had fuel.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  gunman41mag 
#1 ·
So today I get to the house with 11% fuel left in my tank, 66 miles to e, no problem I think since at 10-11% the tank accepts 18-19 gallons at the pump, being it a 25 gallon tank I thought I had some wiggle room to get back to town and fill up. Went out to start the truck, and it died within 5 seconds of cranking. Hmm, that's weird. Tried again and it cranked for a good 5 seconds and I could tell it wasn't getting fuel.

Cracked open the water separator hoping there was not a bunch of water in there. Got maybe 4 ounces out of it, not a drop more.

Went to the station and bought 4 gallons of diesel, came home filled the tank (took me to 32% full) and primed the pump key on key off six times, and it fired right up. The lift pump made some moaning noises for a while but it seemed to go away when I got to town to fill up.

I wonder why the truck did this to me? Maybe the fuel pickup straw broke off somehow? I've had the truck down to 3% fuel, 10 miles to e once before..I generally fill up at 1/4 a tank, but I decided to let this tank drain down some more for whatever reason. The truck was parked on a very slight slope in my driveway, maybe 1-3% nose high, but I really wouldn't think that would make such a big difference, would it?

This truck supposedly has a 25 gallon tank but the most I've ever gotten into it was 20.5 gallons when I was at 3% fuel that one time. Generally it's 18 gallons every fuel up. Really getting pissed at the tiny fuel tank, and I think I'm going to put a gravity fed transfer tank in, I just can't afford the transfer flow right now.

What the heck caused this problem?

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree they suck. My truck has been just drinking fuel lately and I have no clue as to why. Same routine same style I used to get 275-300 miles to a tank now I'm lucky to get to just 200 miles a tank. Its not stuck in regen or anything and the air filter is fairly clean...

#4 ·
changes in seasonal fuel blends will change fuel efficiency. and a fuel tanks capacity is always going to be overated. there is about a 10-15% area top of the tank to allow for expansion

#5 ·
Thing is, driving habits and routine haven't changed in 8 months. I was getting close to 300 miles a tank filling up at 15% all through winter and I'm getting barely 200 miles to the tank filling up at 15% now. Here in south tx they don't really modify the fuel for the winter all that much. It's always pretty much #2 straight. I know it likes to do better on fuel when it's warmer out but this has me stumped. It can't be a drag issue either because the ac hasn't worked since last August and the fan clutch isn't sticking and the alternator isn't being taxing.

#6 ·
check the air filter and maybe service the maf sensor. use electrical contact cleaner. easy starts

#8 ·
how do you know it's not stuck in regen. A week ago had two thermocouple's replaced truck didn't run the same so took it back and the tect brought out the computer I was asking him about how to tell when it regens and he loaded the window that tells how full the filter is. new toy to play with and he said I was regening like every 390 miles. so I watched it and it would regen about every 75 mi a few days later job is over and start to head back up north it got to 40% and went into regen and stayed there after stopping for the night let idle to warm up in morning started to show 20% and after starting out 10-20 mph into regen 0% and stays there pulling trailer I get 9-10 mpg at 70 mph now running 66-68 mph 5.3 to 7.2 mpg for 1500 miles and 3.8 gal of def in under 900 miles. going to the dealers tomorrow. without window I wouldn't have known why I was getting crappy mpg

#9 ·
Edge CTS2 displays regen information as well as soot gpl. Truck doesn't use excessive DEF. Cold air is not dirty have maybe 2000 miles on it (S&B oiled) and it isn't caked or anything. I'll check on the MAF, but I did clean it when I put the S&B in.

I sure do wish I got 500 miles to the tank...it really really disappointed me to find out they went to a 26 Gallon tank in the short beds when I bought the truck.

Oh and fuel filters we're changed about a thousand miles ago. Oil change due in 800 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.