Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2015 "jackhammering" issue

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
Have had my 2015 for 15,000 miles now, ever since about 5,000 on the truck when the "cleaning exhaust filter" message comes on if I'm in 5th or 6th gear going 45-65 mph I get a violent shaking, it is so bad that I have to slow down or it feels like the trucks going to shake apart. New to diesels so I just thought this was a side effect of cleaning the exhaust well after much research I found of that it is an issue with the exhaust values and the pcm. Ford announced a TSB about a month ago on this issue, it calls for a pcm update and changing out the exhaust values on the left side of the motor, took my truck into for regular maintenance and also for them to investigate this problem, they called me back around 3 and said that the maintenance is done and now there just waiting on the diesel technician to come check it out. Anybody else having this issue or having the work done to correct it? Hopefully all goes well never got a call back so we will see.

#2 ·
Ive been following this issue for quite a while. I have a good friend that has solved the issue and its a valve/guide clearance issue for the back cylinder. He had a customer truck that was out of warranty and the reamed the guide .001" on the exhaust valve and that took care of it. At least that particular truck anyway.

#13 ·
There is my boy in the know, willing to stick his chest out and hey,Corey, where is Fomotech? My 6.4 loving( for the life of me,cannot explain that part of it all)?

FOMOTECH was on 6.7 the exhaust valve stiction the exact time I was. He has much recognition coming. I'm on my way out and have become indifferent other than my greatest wishes being that the new and upcoming, please wear gloves and stay away from soot.

Seems silly till life dawns and rips your body into the reality of how you used it and exposed it to such.

Stay Protected, Suport OSHA, Keep the Huxell Go Fund Me alive.

#8 ·
If it isn't too bad, my recommendation is ride it out. Seems that most who have experienced it start to experience it around the 4-5k range on the odometer. IT works itself out over time from what many have reported.

Or you could have the TSB done which means a tear down of your motor. If it is violent, I'd take it in.. if it is minor, I'd try to just put up with it over a tear down and let it fix itself on its own. I'm on the firm belief that nothing goes back together the same from when everything was put together brand new.

My $0.02, YOMV

#9 ·
Also to add, if it is more of a violent shake, a quick fix is to downshift from 6 to 5 or 5 to 4 when your regen message pops up. This happens when you are cruising at low rpm. Downshifting will get the rpms up and stops it from happening.

#10 ·
I've got 19k miles on my 15 and so far it hasn't had any issues. I see there is a now a TSB but I haven't had anyone complain about this yet, does anyone know what the PCM reprogram actually addresses?

#11 ·
I had the TSB done about 2,000 miles ago, have not had any problems with regens since, the went ahead and replaced the head on the drivers side and did all the recalibrations on the TSB, apparently it now uses both the driver and the passenger sides during the Regen now. So far so good we will see when I get another 3,000 on it

#12 ·
My 2015 used to also have very violent shaking not only during the region process. Downshifting did nothing. It was found out to have a plugged def filter and a failed SRT valve. Once those items were replaced the severe shaking has gone. The truck still experiencing mild shaking during the regen process but goes away when you downshift to 5th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.