Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2012 f350 occasional death wobble

12K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  chevy4wd84 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2012 f350 with a 6" lift, 37 hankooks on it. It drove fine when I test drove it and now sometimes at like 30 mph it will get death wobble bad, but doesn't do it at any other speeds above 30 or below. I am purchasing dual steering stabilizers to see if that helps anything. And I believe the ball joint and heim joint on the trac bar on the front axle are bad because it has play in it and I don't believe it is supposed to? Any ideas on how to correct this or what to look at? Have Never dealt with a lifted truck before so it's all new to me. Any help would be much appreciated !

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Is the wobble coming from the steering wheel, tires, front-back, possible drive shaft, or brakes. Is there some play in the steering? You might need a better description to help diagnose. Do you have a work shop manual? Did you try and jack the truck up in the front one side at a time and check the play in the tires top and bottom left to right?

#4 ·
lay under the truck and have someone turn the wheel back and forth fast and look for warn parts. Typically the death wobble is cause by warn trac bar joints but can also be from lack of positive caster. I'd say those are the 2 biggest things

#5 ·
It's coming from the steering wheel, it violently shakes. But only at around 30 mph. I did brakes on it Sunday and had one side at a time jacked up and there was no play in any of the ball joints or tie rods, ordered a dual steering stabilizer and got the trac bar ball joint and bushing, going to change them out and see what that does. And no I don't have a manual, only had the truck a few days so haven't had time to buy one. Where else should I look? All the u joints front and back are tight too

#7 ·
The trac bar ball joint and bushing should fix you up. To remove the ball joint you will need a press. You can rent them from any autopart stores. To get it to fit you have to cut off the stud on the ball joint to remove it. The torque spec on the bushing side is 440 or something stupid like that. So be sure to tighten it very tight.

#9 ·
I don't think so. You need a ball joint press. It's pretty much free. Just pay for it and when you return it you get your money back. Knockout punch Tool accessory Auto part Plastic Suspension

Something like this.

#10 ·
Like Sbluke said, sounds like the track bar. should not have any play in it. Frame side is torqued to 406 ftlbs, can't remember off the top of my head what the other end is, but it's a lot less. I'm battling the same thing on mine, but it's Drag-link and Tie-rod related.

#12 ·
I too had a horrible wobble today. so much I am searching the internet. It about shook me off the road at 60 miles/hr. I was going over a washboard bridge and about have way over the vibration started. I have had a knock in the steering for a while. can really feel it when turning the wheel stopped or backing into my parking spot at work. not sure if these are related. Last time I got under the truck and had my wife turn the wheel it sounded as if the steering shock had some play in it. 2012 F250 55K miles.

#14 ·
I have the same death wobble in my 12 350 srw. Had it aligned and still had the same problem. Took it back to the shop and was told it needed shims to adjust the camber in a bit. Thank fully round two is pro bono. Its still at the shop as I'm at work for a while yet, I don't have a final outcome to share. Just another 2 pennies to think about.

#16 ·
Can anyone tell me why Ford decided to use a ball joint on the track bar? Isn't a ball joint supposed to ALLOW some movement? Isn't the track bar there to PREVENT movement of the axle? Doesn't make sense!

chevy4wd84 - how was the bushing side of the track bar? Did you replace that too and if so how hard of a job was pressing it out?

#18 ·
Can anyone tell me why Ford decided to use a ball joint on the track bar? Isn't a ball joint supposed to ALLOW some movement? Isn't the track bar there to PREVENT movement of the axle? Doesn't make sense!

chevy4wd84 - how was the bushing side of the track bar? Did you replace that too and if so how hard of a job was pressing it out?

Bushing seemed tight still. Left it alone. 55k miles on truck.

#17 ·
If the ball joint is tight there should be no lateral movement. Without the ball joint there the truck will drive like crap. I put a solid mount bar with Heims on both ends on my 6.4 and it was terrible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.