Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Problems with 6.7s and Ford has no resolution

189K views 86 replies 49 participants last post by  TaxmanHog 
#1 ·
So my brand new F250 Powerstroke started bucking and hesitating at 2200 miles. I took it to the dealer and they were baffled. Ford finally flew in an engineer and the guy tells them to put a new MAF on it. Service guy laughed but had to do it since the engineer told him to do to. Sure as sh*t it did not fix the problem. Keep in mind this is after Ford told them just to upload the correct software. Supposedly mine cam with a F450 tune. So I talk to the service manager today and he told me Ford said for me to go pick up the truck as is!!!!! My buddy is having the exact same problem and Ford told them to put a different weight oil in it!!!! I have been on the phone with Ford service for over a month now and needless to say its time I get an attorney

#4 · (Edited)
Not sure if you're aware of these... Just thought I'd post, if not:

TSB 11-12-14
Highlights from TSB:

Issue: Some F-Super Duty F-250-450 pickuptruckvehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine may experience an engine shudder with or without turbo flutter noise around 900-1400 RPM with steady throttle. The issue may be more noticeable at high elevation, high ambient temperature and/or when driving up a slight incline. The concern is not present during regeneration or while using cruisecontrol. Some vehicles that exhibit the concern may set diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0299.

Service Procedure: 1) Check all continuous memory diagnostic trouble codes (CMDTCs). Are any DTCs present other than the P0299?
Yes - This article does not apply, refer to Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnostic (PC/ED) Manual and continue with normal diagnostics.
No - Proceed to Step 2.
2) Using the IDS, take a recording of the event. Enter data logger and select the following pids:
MAP_A (psi), MAF_A (g/s), EBP (psi)
RPM, APP1 (%), VGTDC (%)
EGRTP_CMD (%)
DPF_REGEN_STAT
3) Road test vehicle and duplicate the concern.
4) Make a recording of the event.
5) Review the recording taken and compare it to figure one located and the end of the article. Does the recording show MAF_A fluctuation with APP1 steady like the figure provided?
Yes - Replace the turbocharger. Refer to WSM section 303-04D.
No - This article does not apply, refer to PC/ED for normal diagnostics.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB 12-5-12

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine and built on or before 5/15/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0181. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional calibration updates.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Please run Oasis using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to search for open Field Service Actions (FSA) and claim reprogramming updates against open FSA's when applicable. The latest level includes all previous enhancements released in prior calibration levels.

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

The Calibration Update Contains Improvement Actions And Enhancements To Address The Following:

False DTC P0181 (fuel temperature sensor A circuit range/performance)
Previously Released - Calibration Content

Included in IDS software release 74.03 and higher contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following:

Calibration Content - Pick Up Truck (non-chassis cab) Vehicles Built On Or Before 3/7/2012

Runs rough/misfire during diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 7/25/2011

False DTC P0884 (PCM/TCM power input signal intermittent)
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 5/31/2010

DTC P0134 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected (bank 1, sensor 1)
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 4/11/2010

DTC P0401 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow insufficient detected)
DTC P0402 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow excessive detected)
DTC P009A (intake air temperature/ambient air temperature correlation) if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached
Harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up
Improved shift feel for tip-in events at low speed or when coming to a stop
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 11/5/2010

Delayed manual upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear when in Select Shift mode while going down a grade
Harsh/delayed 1-2 upshift and downshift
DEF warning messages won't reset after refilling DEF tank with Key On Engine Running
Modified vehicles for rail applications, that will not re-engage PTO operation or speedometer inoperative after riding on the tracks with the front wheels off the ground
VSOUT signal inoperable from customer access circuits under dash
DTC P2463 or P246C (DPF restriction) and DTC P2459 (DPF regeneration frequency) - adds increased ability to perform manual regeneration at higher load values when performing system diagnostics
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 08/23/2010

False DTC P132B (turbocharger/supercharger boost control A performance)
False DTC P0299 (turbocharger/supercharger A under-boost condition)
False DTC P050E (cold start engine exhaust temperature too low)
False DTC P06EA (NOX sensor processor performance (bank 1, sensor 1)
DTC P249C (SCR time to closed loop) - improved diagnostics and reporting
DTC P249F (excessive time to enter closed loop DPF regeneration control) - improved diagnostics and reporting
DTC(s) and freeze frame data being erased in the PCM when running KOEO, KOER, Datalogger, Active Commands or any other guided diagnostics with IDS
False P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio)
False P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio)
False P0733 (gear 3 incorrect ratio)
False P0734 (gear 4 incorrect ratio)
False P0735 (gear 5 incorrect ratio)
False P0729 (gear 6 incorrect ratio)
Low speed/load engine surge
Abrupt engine shutdown feel
HP fuel pump knocking noise at idle
Delayed DEF level indication after refill event
Harsh/bumpy transmission upshifts/downshifts
Delayed/harsh transmission engagement feel between R-D and D-R shifts
Transmission gear hunting during speed control operation when climbing grades or climbing hills, particularly while towing
Erratic transmission operation after descending grades while in 1st gear
Flashes/delays of current gear indication when using SelectShift mode
Added Brake Over Accelerator (BOA) feature - reduces engine power during off-idle driving when both the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously
Added SelectShift memory feature so the SelectShift gear display comes back on whenever going back into drive if the vehicle was turned off while SelectShift mode was still activated
Added engine protection feature from overspeed when descending long grades while towing and in manual gear ranges (forces transmission upshifts at 4000 RPM)
Increased torque - during hill assist operation - (see Owner Guide for additional system operation)
PTO operational enhancements - (applicable to vehicles equipped with optional PTO)
- Automatic secondary electronic idle controller (SEIC) turns on at engine start if the switch is in the on position

- Engine coolant temperature to operate PTO lowered to -7 °C (+20 °F)

- Improved RPM control with SEIC controllers

#16 ·
Really? Because it fixed my issue. I had the same exact symptoms and simply asked for a new turbo. The tech ordered it and replaced it without even doing a road test to try duplicating the issue. I live at 4500 ft. And had severe turbo flutter or surge. I'd ask for a turbo replacement.

#6 ·
Mine does the same thing, and has since new. Dealership doesn't beleive me because they haven't been able to duplicate it, but i am about to jump it off a cliff and collect the insurance and run! This is rediculous, after spending this kind of money. Mine has almost 10k now.

#7 ·
thats bs. ford knows about it and your dealership need to call them to get the info. ask them to give you a data logger. it plugs into your obd port and when your truck does it you hit a button on a controller. it will record 30 sec before and after and will hold 5 logs.

#8 ·
Same Problem - bucking/hesitating - Ford Can't Fix

I thought I was going crazy. I've checked everything. Ford flew in a tech from Denver to SLC to test. I'm told that Ford knows there is an issue but they don't have a resolution. They just gave me my truck back and said they'd call me if they figured something out.

I was told to electronically disable the higher gears so it would run at higher RPM and not have an issue until they could figure something out.

Happens everyday and is frustrating.

I'd love to know if anyone gets resolution from Ford on this and how they did it. I'm eager to know.

#10 ·
Are you in California?? We have a lemon law that I've seen exercised by a few folks without issue.
They weren't new Ford 6.7's, but if it goes to the shop an excessive number of time within so many months under warranty, then they have to replace it!

#12 ·
MISTAKE

I need some advice.I just purchased a 2011 f-350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke off a ford dealer in Victoria Island BC. with 120 miles on it.I srarted checking this forum,and now I think I made a mistake.All the issues and problems i am reading about is starting to freak me.With my trade f-150 LIMITED my new 2011 Powerstroke cost me 26,000.I drove the truck off the lot to my home 6 hours away and could smell oil in the cab on 3-4 different times.When I drove the trade in back and talked to the shop manager,he told me it was probably paper stickers burning off.I looked at him and said are you f g kidding me.Then he says put a piece of cardboard under the engine to see if any oil is dripping underneath.Holy S T.I asked to speak to his supervisor and after waiting for an hour,they informed me that he left for the day.So the truck is sitting 6 hours away with 400 miles on it and I am wondering if I should get rid of it.Anybody have a piece of cardboard i can borrow

#13 ·
Don't based your purchase on what u read, most of the forums always have a lot of negative and problems, we don't read a lot on good things only all the bad. If u go to the other forums u will also find out that every make has their issues. Just drive and enjoy, don't worry until it breaks!

#14 ·
If your truck has undercoat, it will burn off around the exhaust for a few days during use. It smells like burning oil. It took a few long drives and several regens to burn it off the exhaust. I would bet that is the oil smell you smell.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

#15 ·
i had this happening to my 2012 f350 lariat also.... it started doing it at around 2200 miles... it was in the dealer a total of 5 times, the first time they couldn't get the truck to duplicate it... they had it for a week, gave it back to me, and the next day it was waaay worse, bucking, hesitating, and even stalling!! took it back to a different dealer, who replaced a couple relays, as per the tech hotline suggested, gave it back to me, and 2 hours later, the truck was doing the same thing again... took it back to the dealer, yet again, they got on the phone with the tech line, they then replaced the fuse box, and all the relays in it... gave it back, it lasted 3 weeks this time, and then, did it all again.. every time the problem re-accured, it was worse.... took it back to the dealer, yet again, for the 5th time, got a lemon law lawyer, and ford ultimately bought it back, with a total of 71xx miles on it, never even had a chance to change the oil!!! ford knows they have problems here, which is why they flew a tech out to look at your truck.... i suggest you get a lawyer, because they aren't gonna buy it back without some persuasion.... and they have no cure fore the problem...the 5th and final time it was in the shop, i was told by the service writer that tech line told them to replace the entire engine compartment wiring harness... seems to me like they are just throwing parts at it hoping for the best.... i never took the truck back, my lawyer submitted the paperwork to ford for a buy back, and here in california, the law is= three times to the dealer, for the same problem, within the warrantee period, it's a lemon... i was on my 5th time.... so they had no choice.... and i was over it, and had to buy a truck in order to continue running my business... anyway man, get a lawyer, mine is a guy that only does lemon law stuff, he is here in cali, not sure if he works in other states, but i would contact him and find out... lemonbuyback.com jon jacobs... good luck dude!!

#22 ·
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have they done any pcm recall updates ?? usually they would take care of that problem.ford diesel tech here... sounds like a recall issue or maybe maybe a wastegate adjustment.seen these on the early models,cel on (check engine LIght) on??? after that usually fix the problem!! :):nod::ORG welcome:

#23 ·
More issues...

We have been told by FORD MOTOR CO. that there is nothing that can be done for our 2011 F-350 6.7 casastrophic engine failure (bad valves) truck has 150K miles. Have been told by Ford mechanic that he has seen 7 others with the same issues and Ford Motor has agreed to replace a hand full. What is wrong with that picture. Any one else have the similar issues? We are seeking an attorney due to this.

#24 ·
We have been told by FORD MOTOR CO. that there is nothing that can be done for our 2011 F-350 6.7 casastrophic engine failure (bad valves) truck has 150K miles. Have been told by Ford mechanic that he has seen 7 others with the same issues and Ford Motor has agreed to replace a hand full. What is wrong with that picture. Any one else have the similar issues? We are seeking an attorney due to this.

#25 ·

#26 ·
Brutal. Guess ill hang on to my 7.3 till the wheels fall off, or buy a dodge..

#27 ·
2012 6.7

My 2012 6.7 3.55 Build Date 10/12 currently has 5500 miles. It had 15 miles on it when I picked it up. Todate there have been no issues with this truck. It is one awesome machine. I can say it seems happiest accelerating through the gears. It has been a bit disappointing on the MPG though. Around town I get 13-15 with an average of 15.5 hand calculated. The highest I've seen it on a long drive has been 18.4. Pulling the toy hauler I get 12.5. My 2011 F-250 6.2 got 8 pulling the same fiver. My first diesel so really do not know why I expected higher MPG.
All this said, I absolutely love this truck. Hope it stays that way.

#28 ·
same here I have a 2011 job 1 and truck still runs as it did when it was new, no problems yet. just a radiator replacement and steering stablizer . tg.

#29 ·
"same here I have a 2011 job 1 and truck still runs as it did when it was new, no problems yet. just a radiator replacement and steering stablizer . tg. "

Wait... A radiator and steering stabilizer replacement are definite problems. In my book, no problems means no problems. You have had two thus far. What do you consider a problem?

#30 ·
"same here I have a 2011 job 1 and truck still runs as it did when it was new, no problems yet. just a radiator replacement and steering stablizer . tg. "

Wait... A radiator and steering stabilizer replacement are definite problems. In my book, no problems means no problems. You have had two thus far. What do you consider a problem?[/QUOTE

Anything not covered under warranty. Thats A problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.