Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Certified Pre-Owned with several issues, advice?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  sensfan32 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Recently bought a CPO, 2014 F-350 Crew Cab Short Box Platinum with 58k Miles on it, appears lightly used. 12k Bumper to Bumper Warranty

After having the truck for 2 weeks and having some hot days I've noticed some issues. I've looked into them on the forum here and have found some solutions but one of the main ones is what is worth mentioning to the dealer? In other words what would be considered a fixable issue vs that's just the way it is.

-One actual issue I need addressed is the Air Conditioning. It blows 'cool' then room temp then back again, I've read this could be the clutch? And I quoted cool because it isn't cold, I don't have a digital thermostat to actually measure the temp. Also when I put it on max AC I barely notice a difference, in fact I think it made it slightly warmer.

-Second is the air conditioned seats, I read that one user said the back was freezing and the bottom barely got cold however for mine the back doesn't get cold at all. I've thought about it being the filter but also read something about the foam?

-Third is the door rattle. I mean this is almost embarrassing how much the door rattles. I read the surgical tube fix, however do you think I could mention this to the dealer and they would do anything or am I on my own on this one?

-Fourth is whenever I hit a bump (I do a lot of city driving ) and especially on the highway the truck feels like it's going to hop into the other lane, sometimes almost like a fishtailing sensation. It has brand new Yokohama Geolander A/T on it with 65 PSI front and 80 PSI rear. I'm not expecting an F-350 to ride like a cadillac but is this normal and again is it worth mentioning to the dealer? Not sure if the sway bar or anything else would be affecting this. It has the offroad package from the factory with Rancho shocks.

I'm new to owning a super duty, previously I had an 04 Expedition. I have some knowledge about the truck and it's systems etc but again still new to this. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. I wanted the Certified Pre Owned so if I encountered any issues I could just drop it off and not be bothered by it as I know working on these things gets expensive fast.

Thanks again in advance,
Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, Welcome to the ORG Matt!

If you have a CPO I would bring your issues to the dealer. He should take care of those for you.

As far as your 4th issue, it sounds like you have the dreaded "death wobble". youtube, google it. It can be a very serious condition (not trying to alarm you here) and needs to be addressed for sure. Some guys have been lucky enough to get rid of it by replacing/installing a dual steering stabilizer.

Keep us posted!

#3 ·
Well I got the truck back form the dealer and the following work was done:

The door rattle ended up being the door latch that was not completely closing/latching which I thought I would have noticed but either way.

Air conditioning they claim to be fine but it feels colder than before...who knows.

There was a pinched fog light wire from a piece of the frame that sticks down which was bent (the piece that prevents rideovers) so rather than fixing it they ripped the wire out from the pinched area which I could have done myself. Not too happy about that.

And the air conditioned seat backs they replaced the passenger side blower however both blowers operate but they still blow room temperature air and do not get cold at all while the bottoms actually get cold. I have to call the dealer back.

They wanted me to pay a 100 dollar deductible when I bought the truck less than 30 days ago, no way all of these issues happened within the short time frame of me owning the truck. They waived the 100 but they only 'fixed' one of the 4 problems. Are all dealers this frustrating to work with?

#4 ·
Not ALL of them but a majority of them yes.

I would push the issues until you get some kind of resolution. After all it supposed to be a CPO. It's nowhere being a CPO in my opinion....
don't let them get away with that...

#6 ·
Reference your forth issue, it's normal for the back end to bounce around when going over potholes or good sized bumps in the road. With the mileage on your truck, your about due for a new set of shocks. I replaced my shocks at 60K miles and that helped. The factory "Rancho" branded shocks on my truck were shot. Many go with Fox or Bilstein, I went with Bilstein. Like I said new shocks will help, but don't expect it to ride like and F-150. You might also want to reduce the rear tire pressure to 65-70psi if your not frequently hauling a lot of weight or pulling a heavy trailer.

#7 ·
Outbacker, I lowered my tire pressure in the rear to 65 PSI, wow what a difference, thanks. I wasn't expecting a cadillac but it did seem a little excessive with how stiff it was.

The dealer called me back regarding something else and asked if I was happy with the servicing of the vehicle, which I told them I was not.

The backs of the cooled seats still do not cool while the bottoms do, he couldn't give me a straight answer if they are supposed to cool or not. Do they (the dealer) not have a manual or guide where this info is available?

When I addressed the pinched wire that they just yanked out from where it was pinched they said the shop said they relocated it, I guess that's one way to put it but still sloppy work. I said if this vehicle went through the million point inspection then all of these issues should have been caught. I'm going to check my manual and see if it says anything about the backs cooling and if not I'll call ford directly.

Thanks for the advise everyone,
Matt

#8 ·
I'd keep the pressure on them. Heck, find out who the owner is and write a letter. Mention the "million point inspection", check on that pinched wire, and the cooling of the seats. Check your AC by putting a thermometer in the vent (or have a shop take a look at it) and let the owner know the results too.....
That'll get their attention....

#9 ·
Brought it back to the dealer yesterday, found some other small issues with the truck too.

-Roof Clearance lights had moisture in every one of them
-Side mirror marker lights were out (night running lights)
-Gauge cluster loose and rattling

as well as previous issues

-Get the cooled seats fixed (Seat backs not cooling) second time for this
-Fix the bent Air Dam Bracket and insulation around pinched wire

I asked them if they even look at the trucks before selling them, they said we fix what needs to be fixed. Unbelievable, so basically if it starts and runs it's good. Very glad I got CPO with a warranty...all small issues but after spending that kind of money it shouldn't have any issues!

Lets hope they get it right this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.