Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Motor issues help!

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Mobile Mike 
#1 ·
So I sold my 7.3 after 636k trouble free miles and purchased a used 2014 platinum 6.7. Four weeks later it's setting DTC p0269, p02d2 and p02d4. Also mpg down slightly, excessive DPF cleaning and a little louder idle than normal. I suspected #3 injector failure. Took it to dealer today. They said it was not an injector that they all tested good and that it was not a fuel issue. They suspected a lifter issue and wanted to pull the passenger valve covers. Now I'm told all the rocker arms on the rear side of each cylinder was loose and two were even knocked off. Rocker arms on front seamed fine. He's baffled and waiting to hear back from ford tech support. Any advice appreciated. Truck has 136k miles 3300 hours.

#2 ·
There is a tsb for p02dx codes I believe. I think it was for '15+ tho. All it requires is resetting the tables for crank position sensor, high pressure fuel, and min/mass fuel adaptation. Takes no more than five minutes.
They may be reluctant to do it tho, since the tsb doesn't apply to your vehicle and the tech won't get paid. Unless hotline tells him to do it.
But I've performed this tsb on vehicles which the VIN did not apply and it resolved the issue. It's worth a shot

#4 ·
Only been acting up for a few days. But I'd say yes. Tech said everything seamed fine with no codes when I dropped it off. I had cleared the codes but the p0269 was showing up as pending. Tech said once it got warmed up #3 injector dropped out and had a 8% compression loss.

#5 ·
Update: #3 cylinder lifter had spun and cam is damaged. Yes it needs a new engine. $16,653 on top of the $1,800 to tear it down (pulled turbo, both valve covers and turbo). From my reasearch can't find were spun lifters are mentioned at all. Is this rare for the 6.7? What would have caused this? I've had the truck 5 weeks now and changed the oil and filter twice just to make sure it was good and clean not knowing what the previous owner had done. I am talking to the ford dealer where I purchased and they are helping with the cost. Not sure to what extent yet. I just have to get the truck to them. Any other options and advice appreciated.

#6 ·
Never heard of that. The lifters have retainers that keep them from rotating. Strange. I would love to see pics

#10 ·
Anyone on here have a ford reman 6.7? Anything I need to look out for? I have two prices from two different dealers. $16,663 plus tax from one and $15,000 out the door (from the dealer I purchased from say they are giving me a deal since I purchased the truck from them). I have found new 6.7 part# DC3Z-6007-E for $13,349.99 and the remanufactured unit part# DC3Z-6007-ARM $12,354.07. I have calculated the labor cost to be $2,880.54. Curious what others have paid? For a thousand dollars difference between new vs. remanufactured is it worth it? Both have fords 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Dealer told me the remanufactured units have all the upgrades to components if any were changed? I assume the new unit has been sitting in a warehouse as the engines changed in 2015. Leaning towards the remanufactured unit for this reason alone. Thanks!

#11 ·
#13 ·
Wanted to give an update. Ford customer care contacted me today and they are assisting with $3k on the cost of this repair. I think I am lucky that Ford and my dealer both are contributing $3k each saving me $6k. Complete 6.7 running assembly is going in next week for $12,000 out the door. Thank you to Ford and Mall of Georgia for assisting me with the cost of these repairs as I did purchase this truck used As-is with 131,000 miles on it. Thank you!

#14 ·
That's awesome that they helped you on a truck as-is and way out of warranty. That rarely happens.

Also a bummer it took a dive on you just after purchase. That isn't the norm but it isn't unheard of for people to unload "problem children" before they get worse.

Good luck buddy...I hope it works out. Once you get the assembly in there it ought to be good to go for many years.

Reactions: kaya
#15 ·
I am a full time technician and followed Kaya's reset procedure for for 3 main engine resets and you wouldn't believe the difference. If I blipted the throttle with p02d... codes set it would sound like a 7.3. It also passed cylinder contribution and new age buzz tests. I wish I had the TSB # on hand but it works guys. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.