Another radiator with another hole in it..... is there a real fix yet? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Problems Forum (2011-2016) 6.7 Problems Forum

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another radiator with another hole in it..... is there a real fix yet?

All,
I've got a '12 F250 4wd ccsb and with 89k miles on the clock, and I'm about to tear the 2nd radiator out of the truck.

At ~55k, the OE radiator developed a leak in the normal spot (bottom driver's corner). I talked to FOMOCO, said how insane it is that a radiator would fail on a modern vehicle, and at the end of the day they told me to pound sand. So in a huff i went to mishimoto, thinking that a solid rad would fix the problem. A year and ~30k miles later I walk out to the truck this weekend to find yet another suspicious orange puddle under the drivers-side corner. Looks to be leaking in between the core and the endtank about half way up. I called ford again today. Same lovely treatment, with a $1600 parts/labor bill for another OEM rad, and no word on whether or not it's been improved on at all.

I'm at a loss y'all, I'm not going to pay $1600 per year on radiators. That's insane. When I originally researched it, I found a lot of theories about the crimping or the sealing compound between the tanks and the core being the culprit for the OE rad. I also read theories about the frame flex causing it, but I never heard a consensus.

So what I'm asking is, have there been any developments on this? Has a better solution been found other than throwing radiators at it or just living with the leaks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Mishimoto have been notorious for leaking, almost immediately.

More folks have had better luck with an OEM replacement. I had to replace mine at around 100k miles, did so with an OEM. 25k miles later, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I just replaced my radiator at 182,000. I've owned the truck since 100,000, I'm pretty sure that it was replaced just before I bought it. I had mine replaced for $753, including labor.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstanle View Post
All,
I've got a '12 F250 4wd ccsb and with 89k miles on the clock, and I'm about to tear the 2nd radiator out of the truck.

At ~55k, the OE radiator developed a leak in the normal spot (bottom driver's corner). I talked to FOMOCO, said how insane it is that a radiator would fail on a modern vehicle, and at the end of the day they told me to pound sand. So in a huff i went to mishimoto, thinking that a solid rad would fix the problem. A year and ~30k miles later I walk out to the truck this weekend to find yet another suspicious orange puddle under the drivers-side corner. Looks to be leaking in between the core and the endtank about half way up. I called ford again today. Same lovely treatment, with a $1600 parts/labor bill for another OEM rad, and no word on whether or not it's been improved on at all.

I'm at a loss y'all, I'm not going to pay $1600 per year on radiators. That's insane. When I originally researched it, I found a lot of theories about the crimping or the sealing compound between the tanks and the core being the culprit for the OE rad. I also read theories about the frame flex causing it, but I never heard a consensus.

So what I'm asking is, have there been any developments on this? Has a better solution been found other than throwing radiators at it or just living with the leaks?
Hi brstanle,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with our radiator. Shooting you a PM now to see if we can get this resolved for you. We've found with these trucks that it's very important to check wear items attached to the radiator or its mounting such as thermostats, hoses, seals and cab bushings. Since you're saying you have a leak at the core and end-tank, I would say the first thing to check would be your cab bushings. Either way, I'd be happy to get you in touch with our customer service to get this resolved.

Thanks,

-Steve
Heavy_GD and BridgerMT like this.
post #5 of 23 Old 03-16-2017, 08:04 AM
U.S. Army 68 - 71

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Garage
[QUOTE=Mishimoto;14733337]Hi brstanle,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with our radiator. Shooting you a PM now to see if we can get this resolved for you. We've found with these trucks that it's very important to check wear items attached to the radiator or its mounting such as thermostats, hoses, seals and cab bushings. Since you're saying you have a leak at the core and end-tank, I would say the first thing to check would be your cab bushings. Either way, I'd be happy to get you in touch with our customer service to get this resolved.

Thanks,
Steve's advice on checking auxiliary items in connection to the radiator is very good advice. It may save you from spending another 2 grand in the future. This is a chronic problem with the Ford cooling systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Good Old Days
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 F 350 work trucks 7.3
5 speed 2 wd dually
post #6 of 23 Old 04-02-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry for the delay but thanks for the input guys.

Unfortunately from what y'all are saying, it sounds like there hasn't been any real development.

I'm going to go with an OEM Rad this time and get the parts/labor warrantee with the knowledge that when this next one goes I'll have it fixed on ford's dime and punt the truck.

And bam_bam1111, congrats on getting yours replaced for ~$800 but after the hell I raised during the first go-round, I'm pretty sure ford has my number

-Brian
bam_bam1111 likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Garage
Mishimoto will replace your rad for free you just pay shipping and install labor.

Better than nothing I guess.

I'm torn between a mishi and an OEM when I replace mine when the leak gets bigger. Been leaking 5 months now.
post #8 of 23 Old 04-14-2017, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstanle View Post
Sorry for the delay but thanks for the input guys.

Unfortunately from what y'all are saying, it sounds like there hasn't been any real development.

I'm going to go with an OEM Rad this time and get the parts/labor warrantee with the knowledge that when this next one goes I'll have it fixed on ford's dime and punt the truck.

And bam_bam1111, congrats on getting yours replaced for ~$800 but after the hell I raised during the first go-round, I'm pretty sure ford has my number

-Brian
I have a good reputable mechanic I take my vehicles to up here. Unfortunately the local Ford garage doesn't have a stellar track record with me.
I do a lot of my own repairs, but when I am short on time I take it to a mechanic (I work construction, and sometimes I only get a day and a half at home in two weeks). The last time I went to the Ford garage I wanted to get tire pressure sensors installed in my '14 f350, since it hasn't had any since I bought the truck (it came with aftermarket rims, no sensors). They told me to just put a piece of electrical tape over the light if it bothers me. I'm not kidding. They offered to sell me sensor at $150/tire, but they didn't know when they would have time to install them(and that $150 didn't include installation). So, when I noticed the leak in my radiator I priced one out online, and just for fun I called the Ford garage and got a price for them to remove and replace. It was just shy of $2,000, a grand in labor​, and around $800 for the radiator, plus shop supplies. My guy charged me $250 to install it, I got it online for $500 including shipping, and he wanted me to swing by in a couple weeks so he could just take a look and make sure there were no leaks after it got some miles on it. Hard to be loyal to Ford service when they gouge so hard.
post #9 of 23 Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam_bam1111 View Post
I have a good reputable mechanic I take my vehicles to up here. Unfortunately the local Ford garage doesn't have a stellar track record with me.
I do a lot of my own repairs, but when I am short on time I take it to a mechanic (I work construction, and sometimes I only get a day and a half at home in two weeks). The last time I went to the Ford garage I wanted to get tire pressure sensors installed in my '14 f350, since it hasn't had any since I bought the truck (it came with aftermarket rims, no sensors). They told me to just put a piece of electrical tape over the light if it bothers me. I'm not kidding. They offered to sell me sensor at $150/tire, but they didn't know when they would have time to install them(and that $150 didn't include installation). So, when I noticed the leak in my radiator I priced one out online, and just for fun I called the Ford garage and got a price for them to remove and replace. It was just shy of $2,000, a grand in labor​, and around $800 for the radiator, plus shop supplies. My guy charged me $250 to install it, I got it online for $500 including shipping, and he wanted me to swing by in a couple weeks so he could just take a look and make sure there were no leaks after it got some miles on it. Hard to be loyal to Ford service when they gouge so hard.
I'm sorta in the same boat. If it's a job I just don't wanna deal with and the cost vs headache ratio is correct, I take it to my local guy, whom I trust completely. As with most auto manufacturers, Ford has realized the 6.4 and 6.7 primary radiators are problematic, so, naturally they want your first born for parts and labor cuz they know the volume is out there.
I went OEM for replacement when, at 120k miles, the leak was enough to make me uneasy. I decided OEM because it lasted me 120k miles, I have to believe this one will last me another. Mishimoto, on the other hand, have been known to leak almost immediately and it's a constant expense until you're lucky enough to get a unit that won't leak.
...oh, and OEM replacement doesn't require the added expense/time of "checking ancillary" stuff like cab bushings, etc. to ensure a problem free replacement.
It's been almost 10k miles and no issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
bam_bam1111 likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-14-2017, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty sure I can replace a Rad with my eyes close..... WTHell guys

06 F350 King Ranch 6.0L 132,132 miles 6-23-17

KC S2R Ball Bearing Turbo Super Polished
Promaxx Heads, ARP Studs,Deleted
8"Procomp 2.75 XX75 Dual Coil-overs
MKW 22x11 M26 -24 Offset,Toyo MT 37x13.5x22
MBRP Straight 4 Inch Exhaust,MBRP Up-Pipe
Fabtech Dual Sterring Stabilizer
Pro Comp Traction Bars
SCT Live Wire & Probe
Cat Coolant W/T EZ Drains & Sinister Coolant Filter System
BPD Water Pump,Mishimoto Rad
Polished Intercooler Pipe Kit & Elbow
Sinister Blue Cap Kit
Rudy's Diesel Blue CAI 150.00 Cheaper than Sinister's
7.3L Fan, 6.4L Banjo Bolts Blue Springs
HornBlasters Conductor's Special Model 240 Train Horns
Rotella T6 Synthetic with Hotshot Additive
Alpine W960 Touchscreen W/T Backup Camera
JL Audio Stealthbox Center Console W/T Rockford Fosgate AMP
2012 Can-am Outlander 800R Camo
2005 Excursion 6.0L
"I'm out old man. I'm just a pecker-wood who lives in the woods with too many guns. Ya happy?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode