Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Intermittent wind chime noise?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Durapig Eater 
#1 ·
So I'm normally pretty savvy but this is a mystery to me. Getting an intermittent wind chime exhaust dragging tinkling sound at low speeds, <5mph. Comes and goes, getting more frequent. It's loud enough to get the neighbor off the porch and look under the truck to see what I'm dragging. Sounds as if it's mid ship.

I have shaken the exhaust like a red headed step child, given the front end a good look over, found a torn boot on the drag link, other than that seems good. Next thought was carrier bearing/drive shaft.

No vibrations, no clunks, chirps, pops, no loose heat shields or dangling things. Tires wearing evenly.

Last year put new rear axles seals and diff service. DANA 80 3.73 lsd looked great. Did it before this.

12 350 cclb drw 4x4 100k factory fifth prep

#2 ·
carrier bearing?

#3 ·
I'm not insane!!! I get the wind chime sounding noise around 40 mph, I swear it has to do with the wind or something...

#5 ·
Yea it is like towing a ghost chain every now and then, totally weird. Mine only happens in 1st gear so far, while moving, intermittently, so?

The neighbor coming down off his porch and looking under my truck was the kicker! Misery loves company I guess...

It does sound like a heat shield hitting the drive shaft but I couldn't see anything. Exhaust and fuel tank are coming off in the not to distant future so I'll see what I can see at that point.

Waiting on my check, and sick kids with it coming out both barrels so this has moved down the list again atm.

#4 ·
Loose heat shield??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.