Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil leak, low Power Steering fluid, Brakes pop, Vacuum pump?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  yupitsnuge 
#1 ·
Hello,
Over the past few months I've noticed that I have to completely refill my Power Steering reservoir about once a week or once every two weeks. I start loose power steering and get a loud whine front the front, and my brakes pop as if anti-lock brakes are kicking in all the time. Sometimes a stiff pedal too. I've also been getting less then the usual fuel mileage which I've assumed is from a dirty air filter. I've had some issues with fuel pumps in the past I don't know if that could relate at all. Anyone have an idea as to what's going on?

#2 ·
according to the coffee table book, the job of the vacuum pump is -
"The vacuum pump is located on the
upper portion of the front cover and is
driven by the high pressure fuel pump.
Vacuum is used for the EGR cooler
bypass system and the wastegate
control system."

I've deleted the DPF & EGR system.

I'm wondering if because my fuel filters we're completely covered in gel (so much so the truck died) that it put a ton of strain on the high pressure fuel pump and that blew out the vacuum pump gasket? or at least further loosened the vacuum pump bolts? is that even possible?

#7 ·
Is the vacuum pump gasket leaking? Super common. Bolts tend to loosen over time.
What year and model is the truck? Some later years used vacuum assist brakes.
But if you're leaking fluid near the MC, and your PS fluid is dropping, is probably leaking PS fluid from one of the 3 lines at the hydro boost, just rear of the MC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.