Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 batteries boiling over?

10K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Joshb101 
#1 ·
Anyone run into batteries overcharging and boiling over in these yet? A search didn't come up with many results, and none I read seamed applicable to my year.

It's a loaded lariat, with 34,300 miles on it. Nothing other then an RV has been hooked up to the electrical system until this weekend, and I never use the RV system to charge the truck, I always unplug from the truck before connecting shore power. When I opened up the hood to finally run a siren wire, I noticed the driver side battery had a fair amount of corrosion that is starting to eat the battery clamp. The connections are fine, and the truck is working fine. The passenger battery is a little wet as well, but no corrosion there yet.

I guess my biggest question right now is, can it wait another week or two for my regular service, or should I make a special trip for this? Will checking battery voltage while running tell me much? I haven't messed with anything this modern. Last time under the hood with a meter was with a 1986 6.9...

#3 ·
I have dual alternators. I have not experienced any problem yet other then the corrosion, but my truck never sits outside for more then the 8 hour workday, and the garage almost never freezes. I think it is crazy that putting batteries in at 3 years is so common, but to not even make it 2 is just absurd. No vehicle should ever cook a battery like that.

#4 ·
Have you guys tried the dealer yet?? Seems like warranty work to me...

Reactions: ridintolive
#5 ·
I know it's warranty work, I was just curious if it happened to anyone else. You all know how dealers are... They will test the batteries, wipe them off, and tell me it's fine, that is if they actually test the batteries. I trust peoples experience far more than the dealer. Mine will go in a week or two for regular service, and the more I can tell them to get it fixed quickly and correctly, the better.

I ask in places like this, because twice with my F-150 I got problems diagnosed and repaired in one trip because people on the F-150 forum knew things like service bulletins that I was able to hand the service writer.... Here, my truck is doing this...

#6 ·
I gotcha, just sounded like you were gonna tackle and pay for everything yourself which is not right in my eyes. Kudos to you for doing research first tho! Not many people do that anymore...

Good luck with it though, I hope they don't give a run-around like that..

#7 ·
This isn't going to be warranty work for me. I'm just under 40,000 miles and I yanked all the emissions stuff out quite a while ago...

At this point I am pretty sure the 1 battery is bad and is draining the other over a day or so when it sits. I will know either Sunday or Monday morning depending on my laziness.

My tuner has a voltage meter - and I know at this point the system is not going over voltage and over charging the batteries. I have to imagine these trucks are smart enough to throw a code for that anyways.

But ya, I am annoyed by this, I bought my truck new less than 18 months ago.

#8 ·
I'd agree you might be out on warranty but only because you're above the bumper to bumper 3yr/36000 miles. It would be a pretty far stretch for them to deny you warranty for a battery because of a tune...Contrary to popular belief they can't blame everything on tuning/deletes.

Worth a try tho, the battery may fall under a different warranty group that covers you above 36000 miles. Worst they can say is no.

#10 ·
Mine went in for regular service and the battery issue this morning. They replaced both batteries(warranty) and claim that the charging system is working correctly. I asked about overcharging, and he said no, the batteries were just leaky.... We will see. I will have to start popping the hood now and then to look around. I have 125,000 miles premium care and maintenance, so the only thing I have touched until now is the water drain, which has never had any water in it.

#15 ·
I have a 2015 that corrodes around the batteries (both). I have not had a dead battery yet. I have been doing some digging, but I gather that there was a large batch of bad batteries. I have also seen pictures that explained the corrosion as battery gasses reacting with the metal brackets. I am going to soak mine in water/baking soda, sand, and paint. Also looking at another brand of battery.

Cale

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.