LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 Old 11-07-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flooded 2015 F-350

Hello gents.

I had very recently acquired a previously flooded F-350 with the 6.7 powerstroke (SRW crew cab, long bed, platinum edition) from an insurance company (salvage). Before you yell at me, I was doing this with eyes open and have purchased vehicles like this before and managed to fix them up and use them for a long time. I have a full tool/garage setup and have rebuilt different motors over the years. I bought the truck to replace my aging 99 F-350 dually with the great 7.3L motor. Mostly just looking for something more comfortable when towing longer distances. I think this part is obvious, but the main reason for buying flooded (or otherwise damaged) was the significantly lower cost (~30% of used cost). Alright, now to the problems.

The truck showed up and at first wouldn't start - batteries drained to nothing. Quick jump start and got it running enough to unload from trailer and pull into the driveway. Could tell right away that it was running rough and low on power and was pushing a bit of white smoke - that said it was also cold so I couldn't tell if the white smoke was related to that. Proceeded to shut it down right away to keep it from getting damaged. Meanwhile I pulled all the codes (I own AutoEnginuity with the latest Ford package):

P2455 Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure Sensor Circuit High
P0284 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
P1556 Injector Circuit Range / Performance - Cylinder 6
P1553 Injector Circuit Range / Performance - Cylinder 3
P1558 Injector Circuit Range / Performance - Cylinder 8
P0266 Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
P1247 Turbocharger Boost Pressure Low
P1557 Injector Circuit Range / Performance - Cylinder 7
P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0269 Cylinder 3 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
P0281 Cylinder 7 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
P0272 Cylinder 4 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

A bit of a laundry list, but nearly all of it is related to a single issue. More on this in a bit.

Instead of proceeding with more work, I cleared the codes, then I put each battery on a charger and just waited to get full charge.

Meanwhile I checked all fluids:
- oil is dark (like it could use changing) but no milky - plan to oil change asap
- coolant is orange/red. a bit darker than i was expecting, but don't see any oil floating in it
- power steering and brake fluids look fine
- trans (6R140) fluid was red but very milky. suspect water got in the transmission. ordered fluid and filter.
- have not opened the diffs yet...will get to this once the other issues are resolved

Checked on the interior - very clean luckily. Couple of minor issues: two of the driver and passenger seat motors are either burned out or have shot relays. Otherwise everything else appears to work.

Checked the exterior - also clean. One of the headlights doesn't light up and same goes for one of the tail-lights. Need to pull the bulbs and check on them closely.

Checked all fuses both in interior and under-the-hood fuseboxes. The only one blown was for the heated steering wheel - not worried about that. I did not yet check the relays since that's a bit more work.

With batteries charged, but not wanting to start the truck yet, I pulled codes again just with the key in run position. Some already came back without running the truck at all:

P2455 Diesel Particulate Filter Differential Pressure Sensor Circuit High
P1556 Injector Circuit Range / Performance - Cylinder 6
P1553 Injector Circuit Range / Performance - Cylinder 3
P1558 Injector Circuit Range / Performance - Cylinder 8

So it definitely appears that there's an electrical issue firing injectors. and something wrong with the DPF - debating disabling the DPF so a little less worried there, but still would like to fix it.

OK, now i'm down to a few questions...

Where to start debugging the injector circuit failures? Are wiring schematics available for this I could trace? Any particular connector weak points?

Should I be concerned about the low boost code? Wouldn't be surprised if low boost was caused by injectors not firing fully and thus not producing enough exhaust to properly spool the turbo.

For DPF, I found a few posts of people having removed and then reinstalled the DPF system seeing this. Which sensor is this, however?

Many thanks for any help.

2015 F-350 Platinum SRW 4x4 Long bed.
E99 F350 Lariat 4x4 Long bed dually ATX.
DYI Tymar 6637 intake, CCV mod, BB mod, harpoon mod, Casserly single shot stg1 injector, 4" exhaust and DP-tuner econ-80hp chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Garage
Here's a guy who's had his same truck sank twice. Bought it flood damaged, repaired, then it sank again, lol. Unfortunate...He could be useful for pickin his mind however.

F350 sank in Harbor, Hydrolocked. Advice needed.

Send him a PM

Diffs need to be cracked and aired out ASAP to prevent rusting but not sure how long its been sittin...they're probably full of water

Don't run the motor till you are certain all of the water is out of the charge air cooler and the ccv, ingesting some water will definitely throw a rod in any motor...

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
Too many toys for it to list

Last edited by heleonardman; 11-08-2016 at 08:44 AM.
post #3 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,267 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
congrats on the truck... sounds like a fun one for @kaya

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleonardman View Post
Here's a guy who's had his same truck sank twice. Bought it flood damaged, repaired, then it sank again, lol. Unfortunate...He could be useful for pickin his mind however.

F350 sank in Harbor, Hydrolocked. Advice needed.

Send him a PM

Diffs need to be cracked and aired out ASAP to prevent rusting but not sure how long its been sittin...they're probably full of water

Don't run the motor till you are certain all of the water is out of the charge air cooler and the ccv, ingesting some water will definitely throw a rod in any motor...
Thanks, I'll reach out to him.

I am definitely not running the truck until I can get into it a bit and clear things out.

I haven't opened the diffs yet, but definitely will very soon. Been waiting for new fluids to show up since most of this stuff is motorcraft (thank you amazon). Is the transfer case combined with the trans in this truck in that flushing the trans flushes both of them?

On an entirely side note, any idea if the power seat modules needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer when replaced? Both of the driver and passenger ones got killed by the water so was going to buy some used ones from ebay, but wasn't sure if I was going to have to take it to the dealer to get the positions reprogrammed. (part number BC3T-14C708-AK for the driver side).

DYI Tymar 6637 intake, CCV mod, BB mod, harpoon mod, Casserly single shot stg1 injector, 4" exhaust and DP-tuner econ-80hp chip.
post #5 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Garage
I *believe* the transfer case has its own fluid, could be wrong...But I recall the manual saying it was a seperate service from the tranny.

I don't think the seat modules will have to be reprogrammed, should be plug n play.

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
post #6 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, seems like the transfer case has its own fluid indeed. 2qts of XL12

Front I think all have a Dana 60 with 6qts of 80W90 - Ford Fluid XY-80W90-QL

Looks like there were 2 different diffs available (with different fluid weights). What's the easiest way to find out which one I have?
The options I see are:
10.5 inch axle - 7qts of 75W140
Dana M80 - 8.4qts of 75W90 - Ford XY-75W90-QLS

Since this is an F-350 (and not a 250) is it given that it has the M80?

post #7 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petik View Post
Yeah, seems like the transfer case has its own fluid indeed. 2qts of XL12

Front I think all have a Dana 60 with 6qts of 80W90 - Ford Fluid XY-80W90-QL

Looks like there were 2 different diffs available (with different fluid weights). What's the easiest way to find out which one I have?
The options I see are:
10.5 inch axle - 7qts of 75W140
Dana M80 - 8.4qts of 75W90 - Ford XY-75W90-QLS

Since this is an F-350 (and not a 250) is it given that it has the M80?
No because the F-350's can be fitted with the 10.5 sterling or the D80... I imagine comparing differential housings should be able to point you in the direction of which one you have.. Also given that the D80 actually takes a quart and a half more.. the housing might be slightly bigger

Swamps 300cc/400% sticks, SRP 1.1, Hypermax stage 1 cam, Comp Cams 910 units, DI chromoly pushrods, Crower billet rods, Mahle coated pistons with Spirolox pin retainers weight matched, Fully billet BTS transmission, 6.0 tranny cooler, CR racing aftermarket intercooler, Air Dog 150gph , Irate Diesel RR, Swamps IDM, H11 head studs and ARP main studs, Motor completely built by me and me only. Shes a true Cummins Killer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big Red Cheif FTW
post #8 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM

Garage
I also *think* the d80 was under duallies and the sterling was on SRW...
fordsvtparts likes this.

--HL
2012 F-250 6.7 CCSB XLT
post #9 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 02:41 PM

Thanked 1,032 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
d80 is a dually only

and yes the tcase is isolated from the tranny fluid

6 qts seems like way to much for a D60 EDIT = nope thats correct
fordsvtparts and heleonardman like this.

Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial

We Miss you Ronnie

post #10 of 84 Old 11-08-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Excellent, thanks for confirming.

FWIW, here's the photo of the diff:

Last edited by petik; 12-17-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode