Gunny HUD (Heads Up Display) Mod.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Powerstroke Interior Discussion 6.7 Powerstroke Interior Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Gunny HUD (Heads Up Display) Mod....

Okay so heres how I did the HUD Mod...

I went to the junk yard and bought an old dash... (Grey)
got one of my old Android Smart Phones

cut out a hole in that dash slightly smaller than the phone's screen

then had a friend fiber glass me a pocket to hold the phone in the
position i want it in the dash......

I also ordered an Ballistic phone case (10.00 on ebay) and used that as a "shock absorber" / trim piece around the home in the dash....

ran a USB charging cord to the "pocket" and perm. attached it to the phone. then hard wired a USB charge port in the ash tray (behind it)
now the phone has constant power.

Before I shut the service down on the OLD android phone I downloaded from the Market an ap called

GPS HUD

went in to the settings in the ap and set it to be used as a reflected display.

I ordered off ebay a mirrored film screen protector for an I phone I placed that on my wind shield with the mirror side facing the phone screen... Take your time its tricky to be right on with it..

(tip::: Use a dry erase marker at night to mark where the image shows up on your dash... (the outer areas of the image) then the next day clean the area inside those lines very good... then apply the Mirrored film screen protector) when your done the dry erase marker just wipes off )

If you choose to you can also add some plexiglass over the phone display screen to help protect it but I just used the clear screen protector that was already on my old phone...

its a nice tight fit... looks fairly nice...

down side is.. doesn't work during the day to well but at night you cant beat it...

this ap on the market even has GPS on it, so as you drive it will show the street your on, and the date and time... Plus it has an ECO gauge that you can adjust... to help you extend your fuel milage by watching the rate at witch you accelerate while driving...

just be sure to adjust the settings BEFORE you install the dash... LOL

since this is the first time I have seen this done on a Powerstroke...

Do you guys think we can call it the "Gunny HUD Mod"

kinda like the Harpoon Mod, the Hutch Mod and such?

Id be willing to set this up for some one and take pics of the step by step... I just didnt do it on my intitial set up as it was trial and error...

oh yea.. if you want to leave your phone on your plan, you can use it as a turn by turn GPS on your windshield... and instead of permanently housing it in the pocket you can also make the pocket a little larger than your phone, run a charging cable in to the pocket from under the dash... with a little over, and you can use it to put your current smart phone in the pocket and charge it at night while your driving and still have the HUD Feature....

Just a little type up on the "Gunny HUD Mod" if you have any questions please feel free to ask and or PM me and I will help...

Gunny

PS: I will be offering to do these mods for people, so they are plug n play ready... just install the dash and plug in the power cable and your ready to go...

if your interested let me know...

There will be a discount for the first HUD mod I do for a member as I will be taking step by step pics for the forum...
Attached Thumbnails
Gunny HUD (Heads Up Display) Mod....-hud-image.jpg   Gunny HUD (Heads Up Display) Mod....-dash-mod.jpg   Gunny HUD (Heads Up Display) Mod....-low-dash-angle-front.jpg   Gunny HUD (Heads Up Display) Mod....-front-view.jpg  

Last edited by GunnyRappUSMC; 09-08-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.