Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thank hail for the sunroof upgrade!

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fordsrbetter 
#1 ·
Well I was in Dallas and my truck saved us from the hail, its a pretty basic xlt and I am wanting to upgrade the roof skin to a sunroof but I need to find a few parts to make this work... the glass is pretty ez but the mechanical's switch headliner and running rails are proving very hard to find. I have found that I can use 08+ parts. Any help with this would be great and if I can pull the whole thing off then I'll defensively put up pics. If anyone knows of a totaled out lariat or king ranch I wanna upgrade the whole interior eventually!

#3 ·
im always leery on adding sunroofs. seems like there is always a leaking issue

#4 ·
Ok guys, sorry its been so long been workin 90+ hour weeks and catching up on bills. Other wise I got a ford parts rep to help me out and price out all the stuff on the explosion of the roof diagram. Long story short to buy everything at cost threw ford would be right at $4,000, which isn't going to happen for me. I am now thinking of hitting one of the specialty powerstroke yards near here and seeing if I can find a full roof off of any superduty 99-12 and at least seeing if for really made any changes to it (which with my experience with ford, they don't change **** that works fine). If this senario dosn't work out then I am going to see about parting all the stuff I need together from craigslist and ebay....or just put a solid roof back on :(, but I am going to give it my damnest and if all comes together I'll put the pics up! But if anyone knows of a wreaked truck in the 08+ with a sunroof in tx or near west tx plz get a hold of me #530 961 3171

#5 ·
Well I got pretty much all the info for doing the swap, but lack of funds due to a unexpected red flagging from my safety guy at right before heading back to Nor cal where the the roof and hood are being replaced

Sorry guys I'm as bummed out as anyone about this!

#6 ·
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm pretty sure this is just a case of you want what you don't have.

My last truck was a beautiful Toyota Tundra Crew Max loaded with every option except... you guessed it... the sunroof. After I sold it and got my Super Duty I just had to have a sunroof. So I waited and waited and then finally found one with a sunroof but no center console. Had the jump seat instead. Well having kids and since the shifter wasn't in the center console I compromised and decided the sunroof was the "have to have" and I could find a center console later.

Well almost a year later... I've used the sunroof... are you ready for this. ONCE. well maybe twice. However many times I used it, it was only for a brief moment and it was either too bright, too loud, too hot, too cold or raining. And I was always afraid I would leave it open because I used it so infrequently. I don't think there was a single time I used it and thought, Man I sure am glad I got the sunroof. If I were to do it over again I would save the extra $$ and by a new rifle, bow or trailer... or all three for money it would cost you to do it after the fact. Trust me you're not missing a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.