Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Door rattle fix?

85K views 92 replies 44 participants last post by  travsav 
#1 ·
Anyone have any tips to fix the driver side door rattling while driving over bumps? I can't stand it and I'm not exactly sure how to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

#41 ·
Just reviving this fix because I imagine a lot of people just live with this problem not knowing how to fix it and not wanting to be silly about fussing over little noises.

My door was driving me nuts. First my cup holder was and I fixed this by removing the faux chrome trim and sanding down the parts of it that touch but are not seen. Totally quiet now when I put it back in place.

Then, I noticed how noisy my door was acting. This video fixed me up. Plus while I had the rubber off I noticed that I was able to put some felt in some other things that were tapping in there.

Several days now and I seem to be all good. What a difference. Happy to drive again now that it's quiet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Thanks! Have you done this yourself?

#4 ·
I have a 50ft rool of tubing ordered on its way to my house this very moment :p

#5 ·
I'll let you be the test dummy then, let me know how it goes :thumb:

#7 ·
http://www.latex-tubing.com/d014116-050.html

Pretty straight forward :D it looks like sort of a cheap site but I ordered at like 4pm and it still shipped that same day real easy people to work with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#10 ·
Yes it is!

#11 ·
I just tackled my '12 F250SC today- important note- it seems like Ford watches these mods, because I found 2, 6" long sections of solid 1/4 tubing inside the door seal, kind of in the middle. Had to cut the access hole nearest to get it out before we could pull the latex through it with the fish tape. Use a ton of silicone spray, it's amazing how much of it the tubing will suck up.
Doors are great, still a little wind noise that's driving me nuts, but I'm close to fixing it.

#16 ·
How did you do it without fish tape?!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#22 ·
I have some vinyl tubing with the exact dimensions as the surgical. As anyone tried anything the same size just stiffer like the vinyl? I figure i can always do one door and see if i like it. It's something we stock.

#23 ·
The vinyl works but its less tolerant to temperature changes when compared to the surgical. If you are in a cold climate it "could" crack. I believe its -15*F to 140*F. So, you're good unless you live in North Dakota or Nevada. I like that my surgical tubing is firm, but not too firm like vinyl.

#24 ·
did you guys have the noise in the drivers door that sounded like a rattle, but it was wind noise because i would fold my mirrors in and it would go away....I also have a rattle under the dash I belive on the passengers side, any ideas on that one?

#25 ·
The noise I was referring to is actually a door rattle, you can tell very easily. And I'm not sure about a dash noise I haven't heard one, I'll be sure to listen for it now lol. Collected all my supplies for the mod, just need to order the tubing sometime next week!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
yea, the noise in the dash is very noticable especially when the humidity is high...it starts going away but not completly the further you drive. its not the glove box, it sounds like it may be up by the windshield.

#27 ·
I've just now got 1,000 miles on mine and have heard it since I had 100 miles

#28 ·
Take it to the dealer for that, they should fix under bumper to bumper warranty

#29 ·
Okay so I finally did this on just my drivers door, holy crap you need electrical tape or it ain't going through lol. Anyone else reinstall the weatherstripping and have a small 3/4" gap between the two ends?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#31 ·
Hmm I'll investigate when I get home tonight, I'll see if I have the same issues with the other doors and post a pic

#32 ·
Put my passenger side in, same issue. Here's a pic, I don't know what I did wrong lol it's the same exact size as it was when I pulled it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.