Scared to modify!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 04:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scared to modify!!

Hey guys. I have wanted to put a exhaust on my truck for a while. I know I will have to do deletes and that is fine. I read a lot of post and threads about all the problems and now I'm a little concerned. Straight up what are the real issues and is it worth it.

Steele

2012 F-250 lariat SB CC completely stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was scared to void my warranty too. If you take your time and use quality parts and tunes your truck will be 10x more reliable than stock. No more stupid exhaust sensors to shut you down. No more soot going back into your intake gumming things up. No more cooking the pistons and valves during regens. Deleted mine runs so much better. Lower boost numbers to make the same power.

2013 F250 6.7 PSD
Crewcab FX4 6.5 ft bed
Factory 18" Michellins 3.55 gears
DPF and EGR delete 51" muffler
Punch it Performance tunes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd be scared not to.........
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Give me more details. I read all the horror stories and think it's a bad idea. What did you guys do and where did you get your parts and who did the programming and all???

Old 08-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroking Smoke View Post
Give me more details. I read all the horror stories and think it's a bad idea. What did you guys do and where did you get your parts and who did the programming and all???

Not sure what horror stories you are referring to. I think the vast majority of those who deleted are happy and not having as many issues as those that stay stock.

As for parts you'll need:
1. A tuner. There are a few to choose from. H&S and SCT are the most common. Many custom tuners out there will work with these.

2. Exhaust. Many options for this. A delete pipe being the most simple but loudest. I cut a muffler into my delete pipe and it's almost as quiet as stock.

3. EGR. You'll have to do something with this. You can just unplug the factory wiring harness points for no added cost. You can use blocker plates to stop the exhaust flow, pretty cheap. Or you can do the full delete.

There are many options for where to buy. I suggest talking to bigrpowr. Pm him.

Good luck.

2013 F250 6.7 PSD
Crewcab FX4 6.5 ft bed
Factory 18" Michellins 3.55 gears
DPF and EGR delete 51" muffler
Punch it Performance tunes
Old 08-10-2014, 01:15 PM

I hear stories about turbos, rods, ad the fuel system. Are the turbos really junk or will they last? Is 28,354 miles to soon to delete?

I know about the H&S and Spartan. I have the Xcal 3 on the 2006 from IDP and like it. It would be nice to be able to change on the fly. I want to keep the stock exhaust look so a delete pipe is what I will do. I just want to keep everything safe and reliable

2006 F-250 Lariat SB CC some mods some stock. My wife's daily driver
Old 08-10-2014, 01:41 PM
RLTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroking Smoke View Post
I hear stories about turbos, rods, ad the fuel system. Are the turbos really junk or will they last? Is 28,354 miles to soon to delete?

I know about the H&S and Spartan. I have the Xcal 3 on the 2006 from IDP and like it. It would be nice to be able to change on the fly. I want to keep the stock exhaust look so a delete pipe is what I will do. I just want to keep everything safe and reliable

I deleted at 8000 miles. Truck definitely runs cleaner and sounds great. I went with the SCT X4. You can't shift on the fly but it accomplished my needs. (Exhaust, EGR).

I looked into the H&S and if I had $$ I would have absolutely went with that. The SCT has proven reliable. I roll with the street tune and drive it like I'm an old lady. No problems at all.

I put it to the test once when some moron was driving slower than me. (Don't know how that's possible). Had to pass him. I was thoroughly impressed with the power. Boost peaked at 24psi in that instance. Felt great. Good luck!

Last edited by GridLine; 08-10-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Where did you get the SCT from and it is custom tune I guess

Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM

Your current mileage is just fine and nothing to worry about. I spent almost a year reading about the process on here before I pulled the trigger and I am happy that I did. Keep your maximum boost low (around the low 20s) and this will help preserve your turbo.

H&S and Spartan seem to have been tuning these the longest with SCT coming in more recently. Spartan isn't really common and H&S has gotten really expensive, even harder to get but seems to be the most common and trusted on this forum. If I had to do it again, I would research the SCT but probably wait a while longer for them to be proven as safe and reliable as H&S.

The exhaust is mostly personal preference.

If you drive it like it is stolen a high percentage of time, things will break regardless of whether or not you are deleted. You will just break more things faster once you are. Shift on the fly is a personal preference as well, but I sure enjoy the amount of things the CTS can monitor in lieu of the ability to change tuning at the press of a button. I would highly recommend going down this path as well as doing some researching on this site before you do.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM

I bought my truck new in April of 2013. Its a 2013. I deleted at 1000 miles. I put on the H&S Mini Maxx, 5" Flo Pro, S&B CAI. I now have 40,000 miles on the truck and I couldn't be happier. I love it!!! I want to do more to it actually!!! Its addicting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.