Hope this is the right section - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hope this is the right section

This past weekend I installed an sct 7015 x4 with a flo pro 5" DP back exhaust and egr block off plates and I unplugged the three plugs on top of the egr. This morning I got down on the throttle I bit and looked behind me and saw white or gray smoke behind me. It wasn't terribly thick, anyone behind me could have easily still seen ahead of them. But I read another thread about a blown turbo and it got me worried and checking. So I looked in the tail pipe and found what looks like oil. So I put my finger in it and it is very thick, almost like a heavy grease. It doesn't have an odor to it. Certainly doesn't smell like oil. I checked the oil level and it's fine. My question is, does the flo pro exhaust come with a coating or something inside of it that heats up and comes out like this and turn black?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Hope this is the right section-1406684607881.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM

Hah! I almost pooped my pants when I saw the same amount of oil in mine as well. I just posted about my smoke screen scare in another thread, so you aren't the only one. I think a lot of it has to do with a fresh motor that is not fully broken in. The inside of the exhaust will fully turn black with this oil.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM

I hope it doesn't mean something is wrong. I just checked my oil, and my coolant levels tonight and will keep an eye on them. Probably just nothing, but it's hard not to be paranoid when you're working on something so expensive haha.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM

All these recent posts about white smoke and oil have me spinning!! Just deleted over e weekend. So I gotta ask... You said you used the block plates and unplugged 3 plugs??? I'm running a H&S but they only have you unhook 2. The orange plug on top of the egr and the plug for the butterfly valve down under the intake by the fan shroud. Am I missing one.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:31 PM

I unplugged the three on top of the egr, didn't unplug anything under the intake, now I'm really confused. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in

Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck did the same thing after I put on my 5" exhaust and I have 122K miles on mine, I don't think it has to do with a motor not broken in. I thought it was my turbo seals also, so I wiped the oil out to see if it came back. After 5k miles it hasn't been back. I think it maybe the oils in the pipe metal burning out and getting coated with soot.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 PM

I'm hoping it was something in the pipe too. I did just read the sinister egr delete instructions again and realized that I missed the step where it said to unplug the butterfly valve under the intake. Anyone know what that valve does? And if it could cause the smoke?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_AM_RP3 View Post
I unplugged the three on top of the egr, didn't unplug anything under the intake, now I'm really confused. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in

Yeah on my 2012 I was told to unplug two. This was following the directions on H&S's website. Unless something has changed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 AM

If I'm correct, the butterfly valve is what alows the exhaust to flo from the EGR back into the intake inlet (someone may have a better answer) but from what was listed in the H&S install guide if you dont unplug it it can cause damage to the valve, probably jsut wearing it out???... then again so can just unplugging it, which is why I went with the block off plates as well. It's a pain to get unpluged due to the retianer clip on it, which is now sitting somewhere down in the air dam on mine... if you undo the retianer bolt on the lines right above the fan shoroud and move the hoses out of the way it's a little easier to get to. I had to come in from behind the shroud with a short flat head to push it out while using a long flat head from the top to lift the retainer clip up out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.