SCT X4 , Race Pipe & CAI install review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 PM
RLTW!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT X4 , Race Pipe & CAI install review

Here is my experience with a few products to help people out in the future. My goal with this was to have my truck run better and not have to worry about that ridiculous stock exhaust we have all come to love :/ I wasn't really concerned with horse power and torque.

Products Installed:
SCT X4 7015 Tuner
AFE Atlas 4" down pipe back with Muffler
S&B CAI
No Limit Fab Black exhaust tip

Not Installed:
No Limit Fab EGR Kit

SCT X4: With the 2014's you need to down load the "Load First File". In order to get this you need to plug the tuner into your OBII port and take pictures of the first 2 screens and email them to your distributor so they can write the tunes for your vin.

Before you do this you can wirelesslly update the tuner from the main screen. Once this is complete you need to download the SCT tuner application and drivers onto your computer. I have a Mac computer. SCT is not compatible with Macs. The best OS to use is Windows 7. Windows 8 will not recognize the drivers but can be remotely accessed by SCT and will work but, you will need to make a phone call to SCT.

Once the app and drivers are installed on your computer hook up the tuner and down load the tunes emailed to you from your distributor. This is very easy to do. Just follow the directions.

AFE EXHAUST:
Super easy to install and fit perfectly. I used a saws-all to cut off about 10" to fit the tip.
Removing the stock exhaust was some what of a PITA. In another thread some good advice was given to unbolt the haters first to remove the pipe. I didn't do this but, it would've saved a bunch of time.
I zip tied all the sensors away from the exhaust after. too easy.

S&B CAI:
I literally watched the YouTube video of the install and followed it step by step until complete. Straight forward installation. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff but made it happen no problem. Anyone can do it.

EGR:
I didn't touch this because it seems like a lot. I'll probably end up paying someone to do it. So, if anyone wants free beer and a meal, let me know if you can do the install.

Before I started any work I hooked up the X4 to the OBII port load the "LOAD FIRST" file and the tunes for the 2014. Than I did the delete and intake. After everything was installed I went back to the tuner and loaded the street tune. It took roughly 12 minutes to load. I had to turn the key on and off 1 time each. I read on here it took over 20 minutes to load but that wasn't the case for me.

The exhaust is somewhat louder than stock with the muffler and the turbo whistle sounds great. With the street tune I averaged about 1 MPG more on my 40 minute drive home from my buddies garage.

I'm going to run the street tune for about a week than change to performance to see the differences. I can already tell that it runs cleaner and more efficiently.

I hope this helps. I will post some videos of how it sounds if I can figure it out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good Info Dave!
GridLine likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Glad you're happy buddy ! Egr isn't terrible , but it is about 4 hours of work in the driveway and maybe a few sore knuckles. Thanks for the business!!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go with the same setup minus the CAI. I too am a little nervous about doing the EGR delete in my driveway. Don't want to break one of the bolts everyone is talking about and then be stuck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 AM
RLTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
Glad you're happy buddy ! Egr isn't terrible , but it is about 4 hours of work in the driveway and maybe a few sore knuckles. Thanks for the business!!

Thanks Mike. I was impressed at how easily the AFE exhaust went on. Thanks for suggesting it.

A turbo kit maybe in my near future.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:44 AM
RLTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter4 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm going to go with the same setup minus the CAI. I too am a little nervous about doing the EGR delete in my driveway. Don't want to break one of the bolts everyone is talking about and then be stuck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I feel the same way about the EGR. Maybe I'm being weak and pathetic but, id rather that than break something expensive.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 PM

Any updates? Or issues
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM
RLTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiller2013_2005 View Post
Any updates? Or issues
So far no issues on the street tune. It rides and sounds great. I opted for the muffler so it's not super loud. Since Friday I've averaged about 1.5 mpg more.

Today I switched to the performance tune. Took about 15 minutes to download. I only drove about 15 city miles so, I can't really comment to much about it.

I also unplugged the EGR. I'll most likely do the full delete in the next 2 weeks.

All in all it's done everything I've wanted. The truck is begging me to to let loose. The throttle response is excellent. Picks up great even with the 37" tires. I'll update again at the end of the week on the performance tune.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

[QUOTE=GridLine;9618122]So far no issues on the street tune. It rides and sounds great. I opted for the muffler so it's not super loud. Since Friday I've averaged about 1.5 mpg more.

Today I switched to the performance tune. Took about 15 minutes to download. I only drove about 15 city miles so, I can't really comment to much about it.

I also unplugged the EGR. I'll most likely do the full delete in the next 2 weeks.

All in all it's done everything I've wanted. The truck is begging me to to let loose. The throttle response is excellent. Picks up great even with the 37" tires. I'll update again at the end of the week on the performance tune.[/QUOTE

So why did you unplug the egr?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridLine View Post

A turbo kit maybe in my near future.
they get sooo much more fun with a turbo dave !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.