Itching to Delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Itching to Delete

My truck is paid for and I am about to hit 20k miles on my 2013 and I can't make up my mind whether to delete or not. I bought an extended (6 yr/120k mile) bumper to bumper warranty a year ago when I got the truck new. I'm thinking if I decide to delete I might as well go ask for a pro-rated refund (I think Ford would do this?) and use that cash to pay for the delete components. I really want to keep this truck for 10 years and 200k miles and I'm afraid every regen is shortening the reliable life of my truck. I figure if I'm at 20k problem free miles then I got a good truck and I shouldn't need that extended warranty. I'm torn!!! This is by far the best truck I have ever owned, but I cringe every time the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message pops up on the screen (not to mention all the wasted fuel).

My main concern (besides the warranty) is getting the annual inspection here in Texas. I have no idea how the shops in my area are treating these things. I see tons of deleted 6.4s running around, but I would hate to have to put everything back on just for a 10 minute inspection.

Not sure what the point of this post is, but I guess I just needed to type out my thoughts. Maybe one of you guys will have some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

unfortunately , deleting it will make it more reliable than your warranty
Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I vote for delete. I'm happy with my decision. I cancelled my 100k maintenance service prior to my delete and I received the full refund because it was before my first check-up. I would think it's the same deal with the extended warranty, pro-rated of course. It shouldn't be an issue, especially since your truck's paid off. Go for it...

I think most places require a visual inspection, which could mean you'll have to reinstall the DPF/CAT. I'm not sure if they'll know the difference between straight-piped or not though. I purposely installed the biggest muffler I could find, 51" length and 10" diameter, in order to help out with those visual inspection situations. My annual inspection is actually due this month, but I'm not worried because I made friends with a local shop that performs state inspections. I'm almost positive they'll pass me without a problem..
Old 07-09-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
I vote for delete. I'm happy with my decision. I cancelled my 100k maintenance service prior to my delete and I received the full refund because it was before my first check-up. I would think it's the same deal with the extended warranty, pro-rated of course. It shouldn't be an issue, especially since your truck's paid off. Go for it...

I think most places require a visual inspection, which could mean you'll have to reinstall the DPF/CAT. I'm not sure if they'll know the difference between straight-piped or not though. I purposely installed the biggest muffler I could find, 51" length and 10" diameter, in order to help out with those visual inspection situations. My annual inspection is actually due this month, but I'm not worried because I made friends with a local shop that performs state inspections. I'm almost positive they'll pass me without a problem..

I am thinking of going with that muffler as well. I'm guessing it's not a direct replacement for the DPF but how much fab work is needed to make it fit? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-09-2014, 06:03 AM

I vote delete also, even if you keep your warranty and something goes wrong Ford will do there best to blame you or somehow try to not cover what went wrong.

Deleting will do this:

1 make your truck way more reliable
2 take cost of ownership a lot cheaper
3 give you more power ( and if your a true American more power is always better )
4 help out with ground clearance ( well in my case it did. From one hunter to another you know we always could use that. )
5 ... Did I mention making your truck ALOT more reliable?.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheap6.7 For This Useful Post:
Deerhunter4 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap6.7 View Post
I vote delete also, even if you keep your warranty and something goes wrong Ford will do there best to blame you or somehow try to not cover what went wrong.

Deleting will do this:

1 make your truck way more reliable
2 take cost of ownership a lot cheaper
3 give you more power ( and if your a true American more power is always better )
4 help out with ground clearance ( well in my case it did. From one hunter to another you know we always could use that. )
5 ... Did I mention making your truck ALOT more reliable?.

I agree. I guess I was just needing some replies like this to reinforce my thinking. I like power but I'm mainly looking for longevity and reliability. I just don't want to be hassled by the Feds.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter4 View Post
I agree. I guess I was just needing some replies like this to reinforce my thinking. I like power but I'm mainly looking for longevity and reliability. I just don't want to be hassled by the Feds.

Glad I can help.

Well as for the Feds, only you know how they are where you are so it's your call to make. Good luck
Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM
POWERCHOKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter4 View Post
I am thinking of going with that muffler as well. I'm guessing it's not a direct replacement for the DPF but how much fab work is needed to make it fit? Thanks.

You'll connect the muffler straight to the down-pipe and basically discard most of the delete-pipe, except for the end piece that connects to the tail-pipe. Measure the muffler against the delete-pipe and determine where you'll need to cut. The only other fab-work involves a way to support the muffler, using hangar, clamp or other method.

Here is the muffler I used, 4" inlet and 4" outlet. They also make mufflers for 5" pipe and even shorter 40" lengths, if that suits better. You can browse through the selection on Ryder Fleet and choose a muffler to read it's specifications in the product details.

Muffler, M090544, Donaldson - Ryder Fleet Products
Attached Thumbnails
Itching to Delete-img_1418.jpg   Itching to Delete-img_1419.jpg   Itching to Delete-img_1420.jpg   Itching to Delete-img_1421.jpg   Itching to Delete-img_0907.jpg  

Tidestroke6.7 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dantron For This Useful Post:
Deerhunter4 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Delete and dont worry about the inspection. Honestly there are more then enough places in texas to find someone that wont care to do a visual emission check for a 15 dollar inspection.

Id be more worried about window tint making me fail then the deletes but again its not a money making inspection for the shops which make maybe 5-6 bucks off it and no reason to spend more then 10 minutes on it.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM
POWERCHOKER

The muffler gets rid of the wastegate screech, if you happen to not be a fan of it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.