Pros and cons of 6.7 tuners. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pros and cons of 6.7 tuners.

Seems like there's no specific thread that compares all the different tuners out there. We are in a different world anymore with this. It's not likeit was 3 years ago. Before we'd all just buy hs. We can't easily or cheaply buy one. When tuners jump 1000 bucks in price it makes us all take a step back and think more. With that being said let's try and compare some of the pricing and pros and cons.

SCT live wire 5015(899.99) from punch it performance- seems to have a great interface and they will do some custom tuning. Unsure of their rep but seems pretty good!!! I've seen some issues with erasing ECMs but very few

Spartan dash daq(1529.99)- I have not much experience with spartan on 6.7s. I will say they are very good on the 6.4 and I think they have the best interface for gauges ect. Haven't heard of many issues. Unsure if customer support.

Torque technologies(1250.00)- new to the game seems a lot similar to hs. Haven't heard much but seems good. Emailed them about tuning for 2014 trucks and they where very responsive. So that's a feather in the hat for starters. The gauge interface seem kinda lame but still works.

H&S minimaxx(1899.99)-leader of the pack in my opinion. Interface is great and customer support has always been fantastic. I've used h&s for everything in the past. Alotmon options for custom tuning no one else offer for turbos ect. I just feel like at this price it's worth looking at others.

I've left some out like the xrt,s4 sct, bullydog, ect. The reason for that is i believe most of us want the gauges ect or they aren't dpf delete capable. Maybe we can get some real reviews from some guys. I don't own a tuner yet. Still in heavy debate and torn on exhaust selections. I think everyone offers good product here just which one matchs our needs and budget. Please eveyone add your opinions and add anything I may be incorrect on or missed!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

IMO the SCT x4 with a Edge Insight CTS is the best combo as opposed to the H&S which is great, just expensive, but the MCC option is what makes them the most valuable . Those are the 2 best in the business at the moment.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

H&S XRT (799.99) & Edge CTS ($408.98) - This is the setup I run and I prefer it over the Mini Maxx because the CTS seems more robust and has a nicer display. Only cons to this is the XRT doesn't offer defuel settings. I also lost all my EGT readings on my CTS now that my DPF is deleted. Ill update my findings in a couple weeks when I install my EGR delete and find out if the CTS can pick up the sensor on top of the engine like the Mini Maxx can. If not Edge offers an EGT for the CTS so it isn't the end of the world, just an inconvenience.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHP View Post
H&S XRT (799.99) & Edge CTS ($408.98) - This is the setup I run and I prefer it over the Mini Maxx because the CTS seems more robust and has a nicer display. Only cons to this is the XRT doesn't offer defuel settings. I also lost all my EGT readings on my CTS now that my DPF is deleted. Ill update my findings in a couple weeks when I install my EGR delete and find out if the CTS can pick up the sensor on top of the engine like the Mini Maxx can. If not Edge offers an EGT for the CTS so it isn't the end of the world, just an inconvenience.

You mind me asking where you got a XRT for such a good price that offers dpf delete capabilitys? Cheapest one I've found was 1499. Yes edge does offer a nice display too. I like hs mount on the left side. I had the over rear view mount on my 2010 dodge that was really cool.

automoto likes this.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think you can buy the street versions of either the Mini Maxx or the XRT Pro and buy an MCC unlock in order to obtain delete tunes. You can save several hundred dollars this way..
The Following User Says Thank You to Dantron For This Useful Post:
powerstroke8994 (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
I think you can buy the street versions of either the Mini Maxx or the XRT Pro and buy an MCC unlock in order to obtain delete tunes. You can save several hundred dollars this way..
I had mentioned this before in a previous thread and was told it didn't work like that. I mean it make sense. I also wasn't aware XRT can do the MCC with now. Used to be minimaxx only. At 1050.00 dollars with the mcc unlock that's a steal. PLus either custom tuning or someone whos willing to share tunes makes it a lot cheaper. This seems like a good option. I would think making dpf delete would be really easy. Just turn off any codes that are related to aftertreatment. Its been almost 2 years since I have messed around with anything performance related. I was watching some of my old videos tonight and really makes me miss all the fun I had with that truck.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke8994 View Post
Seems like there's no specific thread that compares all the different tuners out there. We are in a different world anymore with this. It's not likeit was 3 years ago. Before we'd all just buy hs. We can't easily or cheaply buy one. When tuners jump 1000 bucks in price it makes us all take a step back and think more. With that being said let's try and compare some of the pricing and pros and cons.

SCT live wire 5015(899.99) from punch it performance- seems to have a great interface and they will do some custom tuning. Unsure of their rep but seems pretty good!!! I've seen some issues with erasing ECMs but very few

Spartan dash daq(1529.99)- I have not much experience with spartan on 6.7s. I will say they are very good on the 6.4 and I think they have the best interface for gauges ect. Haven't heard of many issues. Unsure if customer support.

Torque technologies(1250.00)- new to the game seems a lot similar to hs. Haven't heard much but seems good. Emailed them about tuning for 2014 trucks and they where very responsive. So that's a feather in the hat for starters. The gauge interface seem kinda lame but still works.

H&S minimaxx(1899.99)-leader of the pack in my opinion. Interface is great and customer support has always been fantastic. I've used h&s for everything in the past. Alotmon options for custom tuning no one else offer for turbos ect. I just feel like at this price it's worth looking at others.

I've left some out like the xrt,s4 sct, bullydog, ect. The reason for that is i believe most of us want the gauges ect or they aren't dpf delete capable. Maybe we can get some real reviews from some guys. I don't own a tuner yet. Still in heavy debate and torn on exhaust selections. I think everyone offers good product here just which one matchs our needs and budget. Please eveyone add your opinions and add anything I may be incorrect on or missed!!

Of course you're leaving out the other side of the coin. With a new 2014 and especially 2015, with all the upgrades, if there's an issue...no warranty. If you spent the additional $2,000+ for extended coverage that's money in the trash. If something goes wrong we've seen the posts where a new motor is $20K. Is it worth it with a vehicle this expensive with so few miles on it to take the chance. While there may be some delete tolerant dealers out there, if it's something wrong with the motor where a warranty claim is called for it would appear "Corporate" want's all of the dirt before it authorizes coverage. You can be the dealer isn't going to get stuck with the bill...
Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

I think the majority of us understand that point of the matter. I mean my last 2010 ram I belw 2 head gaskets,turbos, trans, clutchs, ect. Had a lot of money in that truck. I had a lot of fun in the pat over that. Some say I flushed money down the toilet? Yes maybe I did but I have no regrets because ive learned since I lost my mom last year do what makes you happy because things can change in a heartbeat.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To powerstroke8994 - sorry to hear about your mom.

To Dougstdig - the warranty is a valid point that some don't consider. I chose to not buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase. After much consideration, I did end up purchasing a non-Ford warranty and probably cost about the same as a Ford version with good coverage. I have enjoyed having it and I feel that it will help keep my truck running for a long time with hopefully nothing but regular maintenance. My warranty is through a partnership between H&S/Edge/Flo-Pro and it works really well.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling6.7 View Post
To powerstroke8994 - sorry to hear about your mom.

To Dougstdig - the warranty is a valid point that some don't consider. I chose to not buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase. After much consideration, I did end up purchasing a non-Ford warranty and probably cost about the same as a Ford version with good coverage. I have enjoyed having it and I feel that it will help keep my truck running for a long time with hopefully nothing but regular maintenance. My warranty is through a partnership between H&S/Edge/Flo-Pro and it works really well.

You know a lot of the issues we all see is emissions related. Not saying you won't have the occasional other issue injector ect. My biggest fear is the Trans. Any auto scares me. I'm a handshaker fan all day long. It's not unheard of to see a rod blow out the side, cam shaft fail ect. But this day in age hard parts are built rather well. Point of the whole thread is to explain options in one place. Cause it's just not as easy anymore...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.