Tuner questions. BD, H&S or Edge CT/CTS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrshelton13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner questions. BD, H&S or Edge CT/CTS

OK, so I've got a 2011 F350 (SRW) 4WD longbed that I use to tow either a 20' rollback car trailer, a 26' enclosed car hauler or a 35' gooseneck 2 car wedge hauler. 60% of my usage is towing, 40% just daily driving. I'm currently at 70k miles and don't want to do anything that will void the Ford 100k engine warranty. Once that's finished, I'm looking at a DPF/EGT delete (hate the DPF fills every 2500 miles).
My choice of tuners is between the BullyDog GT diesel, the H&S BlackMaxx and the Edge CT or CTS.
My questions are,
#1, it looks like the H&S is simply a modified BullyDog GT diesel. Same looking package, but I'm guessing there is a difference in the programming, right? Seems to be a large difference in price, with the BD costing about $2-300 less. So, what the difference between these 2?
#2. Edge CT/CTS. These look to do pretty much the same with the only difference being touchscreen (CTS) vs buttons (CT). Is that it? And is the touchscreen worth the extra dough?
#3. What's the best choice of these 3, or should I be looking at something else entirely?
I've already installed the radio gizmo where I can do on the fly navigation changes, and have 3 cameras installed (front bumper, rear tailgate and rear bed view). Love love love that, but thinking of installing a rear camera on the back of the enclosed trailer so I can see what's behind me when towing it. I'd switch that into the current rear bed cam.
Last question.
Filters. I've been using only Ford Motorcraft filers for oil and fuel. I change my own and don't want to give Ford an easy out should I somehow manage to puke the engine during the 100k warranty. I've heard they look for any reason not to do expensive repairs past the 50k mile point. but once I hit 100k, are there any other filters to look at? I run Shell Rotella synthetic oil and change every 7500 miles, mostly due to the towing useage. Friends have told me it's better to just wait until the engine computer says to change. What do you guys do?
I have gone to a dry washable air filter, but keep a clean spare Ford paper filter in the truck, just in case. Not sure yet if I want to add a cold air intake kit.
I do want to thank everyone on this forum. Learning a LOT by reading the various threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by topless86 View Post
OK, so I've got a 2011 F350 (SRW) 4WD longbed that I use to tow either a 20' rollback car trailer, a 26' enclosed car hauler or a 35' gooseneck 2 car wedge hauler. 60% of my usage is towing, 40% just daily driving. I'm currently at 70k miles and don't want to do anything that will void the Ford 100k engine warranty. Once that's finished, I'm looking at a DPF/EGT delete (hate the DPF fills every 2500 miles).
My choice of tuners is between the BullyDog GT diesel, the H&S BlackMaxx and the Edge CT or CTS.
My questions are,
#1, it looks like the H&S is simply a modified BullyDog GT diesel. Same looking package, but I'm guessing there is a difference in the programming, right? Seems to be a large difference in price, with the BD costing about $2-300 less. So, what the difference between these 2? Just guessing, but I'm not sure that the Bully Dog does DPF off tuning, and maybe it does. H&S has done their R&D and it shows. They are probably the most common and if you can source one, the mini is about $2,000 and the XRT is about $1,500. Most people that own one will say that they are the best.
#2. Edge CT/CTS. These look to do pretty much the same with the only difference being touchscreen (CTS) vs buttons (CT). Is that it? And is the touchscreen worth the extra dough? Yes, they are the same other than the touchscreen and yes, it's worth it.
#3. What's the best choice of these 3, or should I be looking at something else entirely? H&S, Spartan, SCT seem to be the top choices.
I've already installed the radio gizmo where I can do on the fly navigation changes, and have 3 cameras installed (front bumper, rear tailgate and rear bed view). Love love love that, but thinking of installing a rear camera on the back of the enclosed trailer so I can see what's behind me when towing it. I'd switch that into the current rear bed cam.
Last question.
Filters. I've been using only Ford Motorcraft filers for oil and fuel. I change my own and don't want to give Ford an easy out should I somehow manage to puke the engine during the 100k warranty. I've heard they look for any reason not to do expensive repairs past the 50k mile point. but once I hit 100k, are there any other filters to look at? I run Shell Rotella synthetic oil and change every 7500 miles, mostly due to the towing useage. Friends have told me it's better to just wait until the engine computer says to change. What do you guys do?
I have gone to a dry washable air filter, but keep a clean spare Ford paper filter in the truck, just in case. Not sure yet if I want to add a cold air intake kit.
I do want to thank everyone on this forum. Learning a LOT by reading the various threads.
Most folks run the motorcraft filters and the stock air box can provide enough air for most canned tunes. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sterling6.7; 06-28-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:05 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by topless86 View Post
My questions are,
#1, it looks like the H&S is simply a modified BullyDog GT diesel. Same looking package, but I'm guessing there is a difference in the programming, right? Seems to be a large difference in price, with the BD costing about $2-300 less. So, what the difference between these 2?
#2. Edge CT/CTS. These look to do pretty much the same with the only difference being touchscreen (CTS) vs buttons (CT). Is that it? And is the touchscreen worth the extra dough?
#3. What's the best choice of these 3, or should I be looking at something else entirely?
Last question.
I would buy the H&S tuner. I don't think BullyDog tuners are delete capable. A tuner with a screen allows you to monitor activity and have more adjustability. I'm also using Shell Rotella T6 5w-40, but changing every 5000 miles.

Which radio gizmo do you speak of allows you to have 3 camera inputs and navigate on the fly?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I stock h&s xrt and mini maxx , or the sct's .. let me know if I can help !
Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My vote is for the H&S as well. Personal preference was to run the XRT for tunes and the Edge Insight CTS for gauges. A lot of guys like the minimax, I just like the piece of mind knowing that in the off chance I get broke into and they steal my dash mount, my truck will still run... Not so much if the mini gets jacked. Again, just personal preference and I know a lot of guys here will speak highly of either option.

I used to let my oil go until told to change ( on the first change only) after that I just realized it's not as smart as they make it sound. Just a mileage counter. With all the extra cr*p from running DPF going into the oil, I get piece of mind changing about every 4k.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If the mini maxx gets jacked the truck will still run, it just reverts to the stock power setting. My vote is for H&S too. Great products and services to match.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
bigrpowr likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshelton13 View Post
If the mini maxx gets jacked the truck will still run, it just reverts to the stock power setting. My vote is for H&S too. Great products and services to match.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
yep! ive been selling a decent amount of XRT with the edge insight , its a really good combo. my egr delete kit offers the versatility of using the factory egt probe for the mini maxx or the edge probe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
def, egt, filters, tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.