SCT X4 - 7015 Review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT X4 - 7015 Review

First off I would like to thank all the posters on here, for a guy that is extremely new to the diesel world it's been great reading over the past few months.

I have a 2013 F250 Lariat 6.7 Crew Cab Short Box. Its completely stock, well thats a lie, I changed the roof clearance lights from orange to black, lol. I have also installed a Samsung Note 1 with the Torque App as my display unit.

Anyways, I'm not mechanically inclined nor do I have a lot of time on my hands to complete the MODS that I would like to do, however I would like to learn one day in the meantime I need to find myself a good truck guy in Ontario to do my work.

So I decided to try the X4, I wanted to try a tuner prior to me doing a delete on my truck, more for sh!ts and giggles then anything. So after the above verbal diarrhea here is the review:

Pros:
1) Simple installation after figuring out the computer connection issue
2) Simple and easy display on unit
3) Wifi is handy
4) Purchased 3 custom tunes, Street, Xtreme Street and Xtreme Race
5) Purchased from a Vendor on Powerstroke, quick and easy purchase however the custom tunes were slow, according to the Vendor it was due to SCT updating the software for the 2013+ F250s.
6) Truck had 70,000km on it and I was averaging 14.2L/100km fuel economy. After installing it and running the Xtreme Street tune, I'm currently running 12.9L/100km, HOWEVER this is only after approximately 1,000 km. I need to put on a lot more kms for a proper comparison, but so far not too bad.
7) The best I could do on complete stock 0-60mph was 9.2 secs, on the same road, with the Xtreme Street I have clocked a 7.9 sec which is really surprising to me.
8) I was having trans issues prior to the tuner, it seemed when I was at a stop light or sitting idle in drive, the truck sometimes would start to change gears violently, a few times it would feel like the tranny was about to drop. I want to bring it in to see but I thought, lets put the tuner on first and see what happens.....SO FAR, no gear shifting issues.
9) When making passes on the highway, the truck seems to have more response in that 120km to 140km range.

so now I will summarize a few issues or concerns that I have so far.
Cons:

1) The transmission temp seems to be running anywhere from 1-3 degrees hotter (92.0 to 93 as oppose to 89-90), not sure if this is normal. Besides the few 0-60 test I've been trying to keep my driving pattern the same so that I can see the real world fuel results.
2) It appears my oil temperature is running about 2 degrees hotter as well currently around 93 but prior it was around 90ish. Again not sure if this is normal
3) There has been a few times when I have hammered the pedal and the response was great but it would then seem to hit a wall almost like it couldn't get enough fuel and it would just bog right down. It has only happen 3 times.
4) I had difficulties getting the X4 to connect with my computer, I consider myself pretty computer savvy and had tried several types of computers as well. Anyways after many attempts I was able to get the SCT Device Updater to connect with my Tuner.
5) Slow to get my tunes however the Vendor was very good at keeping me updated
6) I didn't think the no shift on the fly would be an issue, after actually tuning the truck it would be nice to be able to change on the fly however this might just be because its a new toy and I want to see how all of the tunes are working.
7) Only custom tunes will work on the F250 2013+ models, the factory tunes won't work. I didn't know this when I bought.

Overall for Three hundred and change i've been pleasantly surprised at how responsive the truck has been. I need a bit more driving to see where the average fuel consumption shakes out, but if its anywhere near where it is today, I will be extremely happy.

Hope this helps someone in their tuner buying decision.

Cheers

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow, I just ordered my tuner. I had no idea that the canned tunes didn't work on 13 models. That blows. I'm going to have to call tomorrow and possibly cancel my order. Thanks for the review.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A quick update now that I have put over 1,000 additional kms with the tuner.

When I set my tuner to XtremeStreet, I have no issues, in fact my gas mileage is impressive (imho), its currently 13L/100Km which is not to bad given I’ve been hammering it a bit more than usual.

I start to have issues when I set my tuner to ExtremeRacer. The power and quickness is very impressive for a stock truck, GREAT for highway passing, however I always trip the fuel rail code (P0088) and Reduced Power warning comes on, then I lose power.

I always change my fuel filter and oil changes when required so I know its not that, I’m guessing it has something to do with my fuel pump, because as soon as I change the tune back to either stock or ExtremeStreet I have no issues or warnings.

Not sure if this update helps anyone but I thought I would share

Cheers,

F
Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM

What is 13L/100Km?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finabolin View Post
A quick update now that I have put over 1,000 additional kms with the tuner.

When I set my tuner to XtremeStreet, I have no issues, in fact my gas mileage is impressive (imho), its currently 13L/100Km which is not to bad given Iíve been hammering it a bit more than usual.

I start to have issues when I set my tuner to ExtremeRacer. The power and quickness is very impressive for a stock truck, GREAT for highway passing, however I always trip the fuel rail code (P0088) and Reduced Power warning comes on, then I lose power.

I always change my fuel filter and oil changes when required so I know its not that, Iím guessing it has something to do with my fuel pump, because as soon as I change the tune back to either stock or ExtremeStreet I have no issues or warnings.

Not sure if this update helps anyone but I thought I would share

Cheers,

F
then whoever wrote the tune is calling for too much pw in the tune. causing rail to drop below 26000 or so. that sets the code. just don't use that tune, as its asking for more fuel than your pump can provide.
Cheap6.7 likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 PM

13L/100km is for us canadians in the great white north lol. Works out to be roughly 18 mpg
Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 PM

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskpowerstroke View Post
13L/100km is for us canadians in the great white north lol. Works out to be roughly 18 mpg
Thanks. Id be happy with 18mpg
Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Ya im only seeing 15mpg deleted but 8" lift spinnin 37's
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM

I'd love to see 18 mpg but I'm aiming low and hoping to hit high.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 AM
Premium Member

I get 17.9 daily with OEM tires and equipment. I drive 60 miles 1 way to work; 50 of it on the Interstate at 74mph with cruise control. If I go any faster, the mpg falls like a stone to 16.4.
With the 5015 or x4 I have narrowed my choices to, I was hoping to get the mythical 22-23mpg whispered about in dark corners of this blog....
The Following User Says Thank You to Tidestroke6.7 For This Useful Post:
Hfd137 (09-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.