Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Any louder after delete?

13K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Dantron 
#1 ·
Just was wondering if anyone has experienced interior drone noise inside the cab after deleting everything.
I'm looking at doing the H&S mini Maxx with the delete pipe and egr delete.
I already have a S&B CAI kit on.

I'm wondering if I should find a kit that has a muffler or not.

Thank y'all

#5 ·
This all comes down to personal preference. A straight pipe on the 6.7 is a little quieter than a straight piped 7.3. If you put a delete pipe on without a muffler, you can always cut a muffler in later. Some guys use a 51" muffler and are happy. I mistakenly ordered a 40" and I decided to give it a try. I'm pleased with the amount of noise and it is approximately 50% of the straight pipe noise level. I would recommend a stainless down-pipe back 4" with a muffler and no chrome tip to keep clean.

#7 ·
My 5" is definitely louder in the cab compared to stock (obviously). The drone is really not annoying at all and is only really noticeable while accelerating under a load. It's not not nearly as obnoxious as a straight piped cummins, or even Flow Masters on a gas.

#13 ·
anyone have pics of their setup underneath? with the muffler. im looking to keep the stock tail section on as I like the twin pipe design that Ford used.
Thank again for your replies

#14 ·
It's a straight piece of pipe with a muffler, use your imagination

#16 ·
#18 ·
yes, gearhead. oh do share, what do you think is right or wrong with it, judging by this short clip?

#19 ·
Guess you aren't going to expound on your coy statement...

#21 ·
How are you guys liking the gearhead trans tunes? Ive just switched to the h&s canned delete tunes with trans and Im seeing some quirks I dont particularily like. Truck under full throttle from 1-2 shift the other day bounced off the limiter and jumped to neutral. I think the TC had something to do with that though. Havent had any issues since then but I havent pushed any 0-60 runs either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#22 ·
Just curious but without having to do a delete, if I just take off the muffler will this thing sound like a diesel should again? My 2015 will be here eventually but as hard as it will be for me, I'm gonna keep it stock minus the lift and wheels/tires. Having warranty and piece of mind on a 65k truck is nice. I would like it to sound good though.

#23 ·
Unfortunately, there is no muffler to take off. All of the emissions/sound control equipment is one self contained unit and there's no way to separate any of it. The only way to get any noise out of these is to delete.

#24 ·
Yes there is, at the rear axle. Though the dpf is the big noise suppressor.

#26 ·
There's a small resonator on the tailpipe section of the stock exhaust. I think it says in the owner's manual that any modification to the intake, exhaust, or programming can result in a voided warranty. I modified the DPF-back exhaust with MBRP dual tips before I deleted and figured they could technically void my warranty right there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.