Spartan tuner questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan tuner questions

Hey guys I just recently purchased a Spartan tuner with 40-200 hp tunes for my 2011. This is my first diesel so I am new to this and also the forum. I plan on doing straight exhaust. My question is, should I go with a delete pipe only and run the stock 4" piping with a 6" tip? OR spend the extra money and do full 5" exhaust with a 6" tip? I don't do any really heaving towing so egt shouldn't be a problem. I know the 5" sounds a little better, but what's better for the truck, 4" or 5"?

Also, I've had people tell me the Egr delete isn't necessary if the tuner disables it, then some people told me to delete it. What's y'all opinion? And if so, should I do full delete or blocking plates?

One more, is a cold air intake worth the $300 performance wise? What about just a k&n filter in stock location?

All opinions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7pumper View Post
Hey guys I just recently purchased a Spartan tuner with 40-200 hp tunes for my 2011. This is my first diesel so I am new to this and also the forum. I plan on doing straight exhaust. My question is, should I go with a delete pipe only and run the stock 4" piping with a 6" tip? OR spend the extra money and do full 5" exhaust with a 6" tip? I don't do any really heaving towing so egt shouldn't be a problem. I know the 5" sounds a little better, but what's better for the truck, 4" or 5"?
its totally up to you, the difference between 4 and5" is minimal, it's the DPF and cat that are the restrictions, the factory muffler is a straight through design and doesn't really do anything sound wise any way so it just depends what you want to spend. A full 5" is just a little deeper tone
Also, I've had people tell me the Egr delete isn't necessary if the tuner disables it, then some people told me to delete it. What's y'all opinion? And if so, should I do full delete or blocking plates?
I did the full delete years ago and it's awesome. Just turning it off will get a lot of carbon build up if it's not used. So it's not necessary but better to delete. And it's easy .

One more, is a cold air intake worth the $300 performance wise? What about just a k&n filter in stock location? technically on flow charts and on paper and such an after market flows better but the stock is fine for just a tuner and deleted exhaust power levels. Just make sure you get a dry filter either way you go. Oiled filters can mess with the maf sensor. Aftermarket kits have a little louder intake sound also. There are guys ford and gm guys making 550-650HP on stock air box and stock filter which has way better filtration than the aftermarket filters.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!
Hope any of this helps
Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great info thanks man! Actually I just got off the phone with my local exhaust shop and he told me not to order a kit because he will do me a full 4" straight downpipe back for $200! Then about $75 for a tip..So that's definitely what I'm gonna do. It's a no brainer for that price.

As for the egr delete, that makes sense I do believe I'll do the delete. However, I've never even turned a wrench on a diesel truck.. All I know is it looks crammed! However I pump oil wells and rebuilt and maintain the engines everyday so I have a lot of mechanical knowledge and a shop to work in, does the Sinister diesel kit come with good intructions? Or what kit do you recommend? I'm confident I could do it with a little guidance

With that being said on the intake, I'll definitely keep my stock in there, not to mention better filtration like you said.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Great info thanks man! Actually I just got off the phone with my local exhaust shop and he told me not to order a kit because he will do me a full 4" straight downpipe back for $200! Then about $75 for a tip..So that's definitely what I'm gonna do. It's a no brainer for that price.

As for the egr delete, that makes sense I do believe I'll do the delete. However, I've never even turned a wrench on a diesel truck.. All I know is it looks crammed! However I pump oil wells and rebuilt and maintain the engines everyday so I have a lot of mechanical knowledge and a shop to work in, does the Sinister diesel kit come with good intructions? Or what kit do you recommend? I'm confident I could do it with a little guidance

With that being said on the intake, I'll definitely keep my stock in there, not to mention better filtration like you said.
I would order this kit. It is the best kit for the money in my opinion and you are buying from a great seller.
6.7 EGR Delete
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
that's a great deal can't go wrong there!
I suggest the sinister kit.found here: COMPLETE LEAK-PROOF EGR DELETE KIT
Installation instructions are also on that page, click the link right above the warning race use only graphic . It doesn't take long to do. I did the H&S kit to mine years ago I think it took me 3 hours and I'm no mechanic.

Good idea, you are really going to love your truck after it's all put together! And your protecting it from the dealer at the same time. Have fun
Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank y'all so much great info. My truck has 118,000 miles, but they are all highway miles and no heavy towing. Should I be worried about anything putting the tuner on? I'm not gonna run it wide open and I don't drive too hard. I believe the dpf and egr delete will actually help it.. Any precautions or things I should check/service before tuning?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Thank y'all so much great info. My truck has 118,000 miles, but they are all highway miles and no heavy towing. Should I be worried about anything putting the tuner on? I'm not gonna run it wide open and I don't drive too hard. I believe the dpf and egr delete will actually help it.. Any precautions or things I should check/service before tuning?
Nope. If you have been servicing it properly over those 118k it should be in great shape still. One thing you might want to check is the amount of tread on your rear tires, just to make sure there's enough for when you get the tuner installed
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok good deal. I was wondering because I've seen where some people had engine problems at very low miles like under 75K and seen where some had engine failure at 150K +. That kinda worries me because honestly I don't see why a Diesel engine shouldn't run at least 250K, really it should run way more than that. Me and my boss run our work trucks hard over 200K, drove everyday up and down rugged, dusty roads, pull loads, lots of idle time, might get an oil change every 8-10K.. These are gas burners. And we have never had an engine failure so I'm hoping the 6.7 will impress me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.