Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Amp Research Steps Installation

4K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Anth 
#1 ·
I am installing Amp Research steps on a 2013 super duty crew cab and I was needing to know what wires to splice into. I have a white, yellow, green, and a green with a purple stripe, whats goes where?

#2 ·
I just did this yesterday. The instructions are pretty clear as to the location of the wires but beware. There are 5 or 6 green/purple wires, 2-3 yellows, 2-3 greens and one white in the locations described. It was hit or miss to get it right for me. You have to go through and test all the doors

#4 ·
I'm a decently experienced mechanic by hobby, I do lift kits, complicated stereos, etc. Install took me a little over 4 hours and was pretty easy and straightforward as the instructions are very clear and well written. But its probably not an easy install for a novice mechanic

#5 ·
Do u have to have all the wires hooked up or can you just try them one by one and open and close the door?

#10 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I've given up for the evening will try and see what I can get done tomorrow new day and I hope it brings me better luck.

#11 ·
What are you having problems with?

#12 ·
I am just having problems with the four wires inside the cab. First question, is can you just tap into one of the 10 or 15 green and purple stripe wires or is there only one that works or is there 5 out of the 10 or all of them same follows for the rest of the wires? I understand that there is only one white wire that is wrapped up in the mess. Second question, can you tap into one of the green and purple wires and if it is the correct one can you just walk over to the door and open it will the boards work if the rest of the wires are not hooked up? Or is it all the wires have to be correct and if you have one wire wrong then nothing works? Thanks for taking time our of you evening to try and help me figure this out.

#13 ·
Ahh, the geen and purple wires. There's only one to tap into and its hit or miss. I can't even offer advice on how to find it, you just have to keep trying. I'm pretty sure you can have individual wires hooked up and test each one separate. Just remember to have the wires hooked up to the motors and the fuse installed or else you'll never figure out which is which. One thing that helped me was unwrapping all the wires and sorting through them with a real thin screwdriver, makes it finding wires easier. Good luck!!

#14 ·
How did you make out?

#15 ·
I went out and messed with it some today but was unable to get anything to work. So I am going to take it to one of the local shops here in the KC area and see if they can help me out. I will let you know how everything turns out. I'm pretty frustrated I am not able to do this on my own but it's probably cheaper than a new wiring harness. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how everything turns out.

#16 ·
Sucks bro, wish I could help you more

#17 · (Edited)
Little update, I got the running boards all wired up just took one call to amp. The reason they were not working is because you have to have both wires on the one side hooked up for the boards to work at all. Once the guy told me that it was pretty easy. The white and yellow wires are really easy to find, the white wire is up front about a 1/2 inch up from where the three bundles of wires come together. The yellow, wire go back to where the seat belt is attached to the floor and there is a T just dig down and you will see a yellow wire give it a little tug and you can see it move up front thats the one you need and the dark green wire was on the side towards the drivers seat, and the green and purple one was in the same location just down a few wires deeper. Thanks for the help will post up so pics once I have my wheels and tires installed. Should be arriving today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.