EGR Delete? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EGR Delete?

I have the EGR block-off plates installed right now, but I'm debating whether I should do the full delete. I went with the block-off plates so that I could return to stock easier if I needed to get warranty work done. I'm beginning to realize that a catastrophic failure will likely result in a denied warranty claim if an investigation is conducted.

What are the benefits of the full delete vs. the block-off plates?

What kind of delete kits are available and what are the differences between them?

What type of warranty repairs would require me to reinstall the EGR, the DPF, and return to stock tune for nearly guaranteed coverage?
Dantron is offline  
post #2 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 AM
Premium Member
 
99powerstroke62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: IA
Posts: 1,449
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got the sinister kit.
I was back and forth between full delete and block off plates.
I mostly did it because it cleans up the engine bay.

Plus, you can see the turbo hidden in the valley

"Stroker 8" and J_Alvarenga like this.

Tyler
2015 F250 CCSB Lariat- tuned/deleted
2011 Wilma F350 ECSB Lariat-
2006 Black Magic RCLB XL- In pieces
99powerstroke62 is offline  
post #3 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
john111987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If anyone is debating on whether or not to do block off plates or a full egr delete, I would highly recommend doing the full delete. This past weekend I installed the full delete on my 2011 with 56k miles. Before the delete I just had the block off plates which I installed at roughly 15k miles, along with h&s race tuner and a 5" downpipe back exhaust. So I ran the block off plates for roughly 40k mi. While doing the full delete this weekend I noticed a large amount of black debris/soot(looked like black paint chips) in the hard coolant line that comes up between the egr cooler and intake manifold. I believe that at some point when running just the block off plates that the egr cooler got too hot and blew causing soot to get into the coolant. I will be installing a coolant filter ASAP.
john111987 is offline  
post #4 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
"Stroker 8"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Full-Time Camper in Ca.
Posts: 5,720
Thanks: 139
Thanked 95 Times in 93 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99powerstroke62 View Post
I've got the sinister kit.
I was back and forth between full delete and block off plates.
I mostly did it because it cleans up the engine bay.

Plus, you can see the turbo hidden in the valley

On a side note, does leaving the cover on your air box equal better throttle response? I have seen mixed reviews on this the Lid on, Lid off debate?

Larry
2015 F-350 CCLB DRW, Lariat Ultimate,
2nd Gen. 6.7L "Scorpion" Turbo Diesel,
440HP/860TQ, Torque Shift 6-speed,
Tuxedo Black W/Charcoal Black Int.,
14,000 LB GVWR,
3:73 Gears W/Limited Slip,
17" Polished Forge Alum. Wheels,
BFG All-Terrain Tires,
Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Pkg.,
Spray In Bed-Liner,
Supplemental Cab Heater,
Camper Pkg.,
Chrome Pkg.,
FX4-Off Road Pkg.,
Upfitter Switches,
Engine Block Heater,
9025 Lbs. on the CAT Scales.

"Mack Daddy Scorpion!"
"Stroker 8" is offline  
post #5 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99powerstroke62 View Post
I've got the sinister kit.
I was back and forth between full delete and block off plates.
I mostly did it because it cleans up the engine bay.

Plus, you can see the turbo hidden in the valley

Do you ever worry about having to return to stock? I appreciate the input.
Dantron is offline  
post #6 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by john111987 View Post
If anyone is debating on whether or not to do block off plates or a full egr delete, I would highly recommend doing the full delete. This past weekend I installed the full delete on my 2011 with 56k miles. Before the delete I just had the block off plates which I installed at roughly 15k miles, along with h&s race tuner and a 5" downpipe back exhaust. So I ran the block off plates for roughly 40k mi. While doing the full delete this weekend I noticed a large amount of black debris/soot(looked like black paint chips) in the hard coolant line that comes up between the egr cooler and intake manifold. I believe that at some point when running just the block off plates that the egr cooler got too hot and blew causing soot to get into the coolant. I will be installing a coolant filter ASAP.
That's good advice. Thanks!
Dantron is offline  
post #7 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Stroker 8" View Post
On a side note, does leaving the cover on your air box equal better throttle response? I have seen mixed reviews on this the Lid on, Lid off debate?
Good question. I'm interested in this as well.
Dantron is offline  
post #8 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
1stnlast59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 364
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U would think that the egr cooler would actually stay cooler since there's no exhaust going through it. Stay same temp as engine.


Sent from somewhere in BFE

1stnlast59 is offline  
post #9 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
john111987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnlast59 View Post
U would think that the egr cooler would actually stay cooler since there's no exhaust going through it. Stay same temp as engine.


Sent from somewhere in BFE
Ya I would think so too, just not sure what else could have caused me to have that debris build-up in the hard coolant line. Does anyone have any theories as to what would cause this? Maybe debis from the casting of the block?
john111987 is offline  
post #10 of 51 Old 05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Premium Member
 
99powerstroke62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: IA
Posts: 1,449
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
Do you ever worry about having to return to stock? I appreciate the input.
Never, I'm at 146k. All work done is by me.

Tyler
2015 F250 CCSB Lariat- tuned/deleted
2011 Wilma F350 ECSB Lariat-
2006 Black Magic RCLB XL- In pieces
99powerstroke62 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome