Gear head trans tune quirks ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gear head trans tune quirks ??

So I know a lot of you purchased the gear head tunes because of the loads of positive feedback from Jcain and myself and I'm curious if anyone has found any weird quirks they don't like about it cuz I have a few. I've never experienced reverse or drive delays until i started using this tune ,sometimes as long as 7-8 seconds when changing direction . Also the cold engine harshness is worse than stock although the trans does hold gears longer I have experienced many parking lot speed shift flares . Am I the only one ? I'm going back to stock and just play with my +/- minus buttons for the time being because I have a few really heavy tows coming up .

Last edited by Carli'd6.7; 05-26-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 05:25 PM
POWERCHOKER

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I haven't experience any yet. I'll pay closer attention to the reverse/drive delay and see if I notice anything.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
None so far. A few harsh downshifts with tow haul on though.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Ill probably give em a call tomorrow and see if there is anything they can do or maybe add some trans PSI at idle or something
Old 05-27-2014, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Theres a TSB out on the delayed trans. engagement. You might look that up and see if it fits your problem.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:17 AM

I talked to Matt last night and he said its probably because the SPE and his trans tune aren't jiving rite because of engine load percentages which control shift speed and pressure so he re wrote my engine file email it to me last night I put 300 miles on it this morning with 5k on the bumper so far so good and ive so far seen a 1.2 MPG gain with this engine as opposed to my SPE tow file
Old 06-05-2014, 04:56 PM
POWERCHOKER

I know what you're talking about with the reverse delay now. I've noticed it several times since you started this thread. Before I kept thinking the truck was accidentally in neutral. Another thing I've noticed is when I need to quickly accelerate to miss a red light or pull out in front of traffic there will be a 3-4 second delay prior to acceleration followed by a huge pile of smoke. I remember the H&S performance tune being a bit more responsive in those situations.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli'd6.7 View Post
I talked to Matt last night and he said its probably because the SPE and his trans tune aren't jiving rite because of engine load percentages which control shift speed and pressure so he re wrote my engine file email it to me last night I put 300 miles on it this morning with 5k on the bumper so far so good and ive so far seen a 1.2 MPG gain with this engine as opposed to my SPE tow file
Carli'd-
Are things still working better with the Gearhead engine/trans combo? If so, did running the combo solve all your complaints with the setup?

Dantron-
Are you running both the Gearhead engine and trans tunes or trans only? Just trying to research my options.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 PM

No I'm not really fan I went back to SPE and stock trans tune and just use my buttons to literally tell the truck what to do . I also noticed the Gearhead tune has TONs of low end NO mid and Tons of top end . it was fun while it lasted haha I care more about my typewriter finally being gone then the money spent on that tune haha
Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 PM
POWERCHOKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling6.7 View Post
Dantron-
Are you running both the Gearhead engine and trans tunes or trans only? Just trying to research my options.
I'm running both Gearhead tunes. The trans is definitely more responsive than stock when you get on it and it's pretty smooth and consistent when you drive normal. I like it overall. The only weird part is the mentioned shift delay to reverse. The performance tune is definitely more intense than the H&S performance tune. My only complaint is that sometimes it will pause and then unleash a ton of smoke when it does accelerate. I think the boost settings max out at 30 while my H&S tunes were set to 25. I haven't tried the Gearhead trans tune together with the H&S engine tunes yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.