airdog or fass? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
airdog or fass?

after tuning my truck i have had a few times that i feel like it needs a little more fuel. i was considering an airdog both for more fuel and for the other benefits it offers. has anyone done this to a 6.7 yet that is on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just a FYI. I've had an airdog 165 from my 6.4 that I wanted to install on my 6.7 and the only reason I have not is that I heard you lose the auto start feature. GL!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

What makes you feel like your running out of delivery fuel?

Wont run into issues with a lack of fuel until you start putting down some serious numbers, alot more then a tuner can produce. Usually a good time to add the duel fueler kit along with new lift pump. I have always like fass but I think they are both pretty much equal in the quality department.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:14 AM

there have been times...and passengers have noticed it too...that the truck chokes itself a little under heavy throttle. I just assumed it was lack of fuel.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FASS is the way to go. Feeds 125 gallons per hour or somewhere around there and no truck is gonna use that much. It's affordable and easy to install.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakerugg View Post
there have been times...and passengers have noticed it too...that the truck chokes itself a little under heavy throttle. I just assumed it was lack of fuel.
Get a cts and monitor. I know exactly what your talking about and nine time outta ten its the tires breaking lose momentarily and the truck defuels if traction control is on. I also get the odd tranny issue when the trucks cold that could be mistaken as fueling issues but thats just weird shift patterns. Theres no way your trucks being starved fuel with tuning only unless you got some seriously broke parts.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 2013 will run the fuel rail dry on just a tune. Have 5" exhaust, S&B CAI, Mini with SPE Hotx tunes. Getting on it pulling a hill or at WOT it will run out of fuel. I've heard this is more of an issue with the 2013 trucks than the 11 or 12s'. hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Now this problem brings us to the question is it the rail running dry with a) lack of hp pump output or b) delivery pump pressure. Id lean more to it being the hp pump because chances are if it was losing delivery supply then your gonna blow up that hp pump pretty fast. They dont like being starved. If this is the case then a fass isnt going to help, your gonna need a second hp pump.

Curious how your monitoring to know the rail is running dry? Id like to watch my rail pressure but I believe only thing on my cts is gpm and I think that's calculated in the ecm using a few sensors.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not 100% positive about the rail running dry. The reason I suspect this is that I get a reduced engine indication from the truck. I spoke with the people at SPE and TS performance about this problem. They both "suspected" that it was fuel rail running dry. Friend of mine who is a Ford diesel mech also gave me the same answer. I do not have proof but have good reasons to believe that this is what's happening. Thought about running Mp-8 stacked with my Mini.............TS suggested FASS/Airdog....etc to help prevent this problem. As I said before, I am to understand that this is not such a problem on the '11 or '12 model years.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

Hmm, I just dont see how it can only be a problem on the 13s since nothing changed on the engine for that model year. H&S sells a pretty nice duel fuel kit and I think they say fueling issues won't begin til around 700rwhp. There's no way to hit anywhere near that with a tune/delete. If I were you I would start monitoring rail pressure somehow and see what happens before you start coming on here scaring the guys with 13s. I can see tranny issues definitely being miss diagnosed as fueling problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.