DEF Tank/Fluid after deleting. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 11:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEF Tank/Fluid after deleting.

Tried searching for this answer but could not find a much out. What are you guys out there doing with the left over DEF fluid in the tanks after doing a delete? The reason I ask is at some point, 1-3 yrs down the road when I want a new truck I would like to put this one back to it's stock form and for it to run properly again without too much fuss and money. When the DEF fluid drys out in a used container it forms some kind of crystal. I am thinking that will happen to the sensors, pump, line and bottom of my DEF tank if I pump it dry. On the other hand DEF fluid I was told has a shelf life of 4 months up to 1.5yrs depending on temp. Any input would be helpful.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I wondered the very same thing for the first few months after the delete. That was about a year and a half ago and it still has probably 3/4 tank of DEF. I had thought about the trade in aspect too when it comes time for a new truck but from what I have read if the dealer finds out it was deleted they aren't supposed to accept it in on trade. So I guess it will be sold to another individual for me! I have been burned a few too many times at the dealer for trade-in anyway.

But I guess you could always drain it. I have read somewhere on here that people were draining the tank and using it for something else or just removing it altogether. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshelton13 View Post
I wondered the very same thing for the first few months after the delete. That was about a year and a half ago and it still has probably 3/4 tank of DEF. I had thought about the trade in aspect too when it comes time for a new truck but from what I have read if the dealer finds out it was deleted they aren't supposed to accept it in on trade. So I guess it will be sold to another individual for me! I have been burned a few too many times at the dealer for trade-in anyway.

But I guess you could always drain it. I have read somewhere on here that people were draining the tank and using it for something else or just removing it altogether. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Maybe there are different laws in different states, but I don't see any reason why a dealer could or would refuse to trade a vehicle IF all emission's equipment was set back to OEM standards and functional.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do not disagree with you at all, I just know if they can find anyway to save some money at the person trading in the vehicles expense they probably will! Everyone says something different about if the truck's computer shows history of being tampered with/tuned and I guess depending on the dealer that might be enough to refuse trade or they may not care as long as it is returned to stock. Either way do what you need to when the time comes and roll with it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.