SCT 3015 comp tuner review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT 3015 comp tuner review

I finally got the chance to install my new SCT competition tuner and exhaust today. I will preface my review with my driving habits. I am not one who is looking for max HP out of this truck, nor will this truck ever see a dyno. In fact, i am not even sure that I have ever had this truck at WOT before. My truck is a 2011 f250 with roughly 27000 miles on it.

With that said, i was hoping to get more reliability, more turbo sound, a little more rumble in the exhaust, and better fuel mileage.

First off, the dealer that I got the tuner and custom tunes from was very helpful and reassuring. This was my first time installing a tuner on any vehicle, and was a little nervous about doing the deletes. I would be happy recommending them to others through PM, although I am sure quite a lot of people have ordered through them.

So down to the install. The tuner came with a set of SCT instructions, as well as instructions for the custom delete tunes. They were pretty straight forward, and the prompts on the tuner screen are also pretty user friendly. I did have to download the latest software to the tuner before it would program the truck, but that was pretty hassle free. Once I managed to get the tuner plugged into the truck, it was a pretty easy process, with the added directions and tuner prompts. The only issue I had was when I first loaded the delete tune, it did not load properly. When I started the truck up, I got the shut down now, safely note as soon as the truck started. I was a little concerned, but decided to try and reload the tune. After I went through the process again and re loaded the tune, all was good and no warning messages.

First impressions were that I love the way the truck sounds now! Nice rumble from the exhaust, but not too loud. Also get nice turbo whistle on accel and when you let off the throttle.

As for the tune, I set it to the "street" tune, which is advertised as +100 HP. The truck runs and drives great, and has very little smoke. Granted I have been driving it pretty easily (normal for me). I did get some smoke when reving with no load, but I think that is pretty normal. The truck does seem to have a little more pep, but I cannot say it is night and day. But again, I have not even been looking for power so far. As for boost levels, seems like the tune produces slightly more boost than stock at my throttle applications. Just cruising around daily driving, I am seeing around 15 psi. Stock I would about 10 psi. The transmission shifts smooth, although you can tell the shift patterns are different from stock. I think the trans is still learning also, but I have no complaints on the shifting so far.

The tuner has 4 power levels ( tow, street, performance and extreme) but also shows an added option of street-firm(guessing different trans tune). I plan on trying the tow tune in the next couple of days.

So in summary, this tuner has worked as promised for deleting, and the street tune drives very well. I cannot say how this tuner compares to others, but have been told by the dealer that it is very similar. I have been 100% satisfied, and feel that this tuner is a great affordable option to the delete tuning market. I have been wanting to delete for a little while, but could not bring myself to pay the crazy prices for H&S these days. So far, I am happy with the wait, as the SCT fits my needs so far, and the price is right in my comfort range. I plan on updating with a fuel mileage report in a week or so, but looks good so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mcd For This Useful Post:
webslinger1977 (04-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Would you mind send me that PM. I've been really thinking about deleting as well for the same reasons.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the update!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:03 PM

thanks x2 glad to hear its working out for you. looking forward to the mpg report!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 PM

Plan on running the hottest tune?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Please send me a pm as well

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great review! I can't wait to hear your follow up after some seat time. I'm itching to pull the trigger on 1 of these.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Ok, got a few more miles on it and am still happy. Seems like the turbo spools up quicker, and provides great power right off idle. Did manage to see 20-22 psi of boost yesterday when merging onto the freeway, but not WOT. Seems like the boost backed down pretty quickly, and didnt seem to want to get too wild. Dont have enough miles for a MPG report, but the instant lie o meter is showing around 2 MPG increase. We will see at the end of the week. This is all on street tune.

Also spoke with the shop, and they are good with open advertisement. So for those interested, I purchased the tuner and pipe from Rudy's diesel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcd For This Useful Post:
Cheap6.7 (04-28-2014), webslinger1977 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 AM

Hey mcd I know you don't care about going fast but typically if you set it on the higher tunes they will give the best mpg. Just saying. Do you have any buddy's with deleted 6.7s you can compare to?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap6.7 View Post
Hey mcd I know you don't care about going fast but typically if you set it on the higher tunes they will give the best mpg. Just saying. Do you have any buddy's with deleted 6.7s you can compare to?
I have also heard that is the case with other tunes. I will eventually test the 150 and 175 HP tunes on the SCT, just a little leary of turbo stress and want to ease into it at the moment.

Also, it was recommended by Rudys to run an aftermarket intake with the 150 and 175 HP tunes. They mentioned there was a chance of getting a CEL for air flow on the intake side with these two tunes and the stock intake. They mentioned it was not a real issue, just confuses the computer a little bit with the amount of air flow.

At some point, an S&B intake and Edge insight are in my future. At that point, we will see how the other tunes go. Right now, I am satisfied with the 100 HP tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.