A big thanks to GearHead Performance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A big thanks to GearHead Performance

Ever since switching to Ford about 8 months ago i have not been able to find a trans tune that worked for me what so ever infact ive told multiple people on here to always select no when uploading your MCC files and just run the stock trans file .

When driving Dodge you have multiple options such as ATS CoPilot and H&S Overdrive just to name the best.

Tonight i had the pleasure of trying out GearHeads trans tune ( Engine file not ready yet ) and let me tell you it is spot on . People on here that know me know that i am one of the most OCD people out there and it shows in my typewriter conquests haha. In the 13,500 miles my truck has been deleted ive never been able to just put my truck in drive and just go i always lock out gears based on my speed so i dont get early shifts and have to cruise around at 1100 RPM in 5th gear at 45 MPH haha and as far as the trucks parking lot manners i have to lock it in 2nd or it becomes a frenzy of shift flares and shift delays and i end up in 3rd gear going 10 MPH

With the GearHead tune it is everything the stock trans should be , second comes on nice and smooth not to quick and doesnt hold out to long so you have to worry about high RPMs while warming the truck up. 3rd 4th and 5th engagements have about i'd say 10-15 percent more shift pressure than stock so its "Crisp" in no way would i say its firm unless your over 50% load the way is should be. It holds 4th nicely when your in slower residential areas and holds 2nd nicely in parking lots . In the 30 mile test drove i took with it tonight i did not get one shift delay when doing a rolling decelerating corner it knew exactly what gear to be in without hesitation. Also when accelerating to a higher cruising speed moderately such has getting onto a parkway with a 50+ MPH speed limit it moves thru the gears nicely to get to 6th. Its almost like it knows

I encourage everyone to try it because currently im running my SPE Tow tune with the GearHead trans tune. I know alot of people have complaints about the SPE trans tune and I agree it is most def alittle harsh for daily driving so much so that i only ran it for one day haha I love Amy and Dan but the trans tune not so much haha. I cant wait to try the GearHead engine file .

Last edited by Carli'd6.7; 04-22-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carli'd6.7 View Post
Ever since switching to Ford about 8 months ago i have not been able to find a trans tune that worked for me what so ever infact ive told multiple people on here to always select no when uploading your MCC files and just run the stock trans file .

When driving Dodge you have multiple options such as ATS CoPilot and H&S Overdrive just to name the best.

Tonight i had the pleasure of trying out GearHeads trans tune ( Engine file not ready yet ) and let me tell you it is spot on . People on here that know me know that i am one of the most OCD people out there and it shows in my typewriter conquests haha. In the 13,500 miles my truck has been deleted ive never been able to just put my truck in drive and just go i always lock out gears based on my speed so i dont get early shifts and have to cruise around at 1100 RPM in 5th gear at 45 MPH haha and as far as the trucks parking lot manners i have to lock it in 2nd or it becomes a frenzy of shift flares and shift delays and i end up in 3rd gear going 10 MPH

With the GearHead tune it is everything the stock trans should be , second comes on nice and smooth not to quick and doesnt hold out to long so you have to worry about high RPMs while warming the truck up. 3rd 4th and 5th engagements have about i'd say 10-15 percent more shift pressure than stock so its "Crisp" in no way would i say its firm unless your over 50% load the way is should be. It holds 4th nicely when your in slower residential areas and holds 2nd nicely in parking lots . In the 30 mile test drove i took with it tonight i did not get one shift delay when doing a rolling decelerating corner it knew exactly what gear to be in without hesitation. Also when accelerating to a higher cruising speed moderately such has getting onto a parkway with a 50+ MPH speed limit it moves thru the gears nicely to get to 6th. Its almost like it knows

I encourage everyone to try it because currently im running my SPE Tow tune with the GearHead trans tune. I know alot of people have complaints about the SPE trans tune and I agree it is most def alittle harsh for daily driving so much so that i only ran it for one day haha I love Amy and Dan but the trans tune not so much haha. I cant wait to try the GearHead engine file .
How did you get a hold of gearhead? I submitted the email us link on their website and never hear back. I want the trans tuning for my 6.4. I can't stand these set speed shift points
Old 04-23-2014, 05:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
How did you get a hold of gearhead? I submitted the email us link on their website and never hear back. I want the trans tuning for my 6.4. I can't stand these set speed shift points
I just called em up, they didnt pick up the first time i called so i left a message i got a call back a couple hours later and discussed options and said i would call back after i got my baseline MCC files out of my truck.

Called back the next day it was the same process leave a message, got a call back shortly after, emailed my base files to the sales guy i forgot his name, he was pretty chill tho, super knowledgeable and calm and later that night i was putting my kids to sleep and my phone went off saying i had an email and it was my files from Matt himself.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you probably spoke with Larz. he's the man!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

**UPDATE**
So after driving it on my normal day to day there are a couple more things i like about this trans tune 1st being all the cold weather / warm up erracticness and super sensitive throttle is eliminated i always thought that was an engine file problem but with this trans file i dont get any of the super sensitive pedal and dumping the clutch feel. 2nd i dont know if i was too tired to realize it last night or if i was just waiting for something bad to happen haha but with this tune TC lock up is in 3rd instead of 4th kind of like having the truck in tow/haul all the time without the super harsh downshifts of keeping it in tow/haul with less than 15k out back haha
Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 AM

Matt is a wizard at trans tuning IMO
Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
you probably spoke with Larz. he's the man!
Yep that might have been him i know it was an off beat name
Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 AM

How well does it hold 6th gear? Like if your running say between 55 and 65.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

I havent had any issues with it yet nor have i had to tow with it yet to see how it holds but cruising around 60 and wanting to accelerate the tip in down shift is spot on, most tunes try and hold on way to long or they just down shift to 4th and throw a bunch of smoke. It downshifts nicely and conservative. Honestly their trans tune is like a refined cleaned up and crisper stock tune its all about drive-ability over aggression. Buuuut thats just my opinion and thats why i like it its a good tune for someone who likes to drive their truck not so much HotRod it .
Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Gearhead is prolly going to be my next purchase to
The Following User Says Thank You to 01redcrew For This Useful Post:
Hfd137 (04-23-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.