Anyone running a 4.5 or 6" lift with only factory steering stabilizer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Anyone running a 4.5 or 6" lift with only factory steering stabilizer?

Anyone running a 4.5 or 6" lift with only factory steering stabilizer?

I am just wondering if you have any pull when braking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As long as your caster correction is good ( drop brackets ) you should have no problem at all I ran a 4.5 inch Icon lift with 20s w/35s for a long time with just the factory stabilizer and an adjustable trac arm and it was fine for the 6k I had it on . Most steering stabilzers with not correct any kind of pull when braking but a charged stabilizer such as a Carli or Fox and some of the better bilstiens will correct the right hand pull while driving that most toyo tires give you .
Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would be more concerned with tire size than lift height. I'm at 80K in my 06 with both 35" and 37" tires still on the factory stabilizer... It hasn't failed and I'm only still running it because we don't make a stabilizer for the 05-07
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unless the alignment shop put a ton of cross caster into your truck I would guess that you already have a right pull due to the Toyo's. If it only pulls to one side under braking (not diving on one side) I would guess that it could be a brake issue.

A stabilizer is mostly to turn out steering oscillation that you would feel as a shake in the wheel and to absorb some of the shock to the steering system when you hit bumps.

Although Dan has had good luck with the 80K mile factory stabilizer on his 07 I have seen the factory stabilizer on the 08+ trucks completely wore out with less than 30k on them when you run wider than factory tires.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM

I've heard time and again, with the proper set up, you do not even need a stabilizer! I ran my 4dr Rubicon on 37's for awhile without a steering stabilizer just to prove the point that one is not needed to someone.
Might be a different story on these heavy trucks tho.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
Unless the alignment shop put a ton of cross caster into your truck I would guess that you already have a right pull due to the Toyo's. If it only pulls to one side under braking (not diving on one side) I would guess that it could be a brake issue.

A stabilizer is mostly to turn out steering oscillation that you would feel as a shake in the wheel and to absorb some of the shock to the steering system when you hit bumps.

Although Dan has had good luck with the 80K mile factory stabilizer on his 07 I have seen the factory stabilizer on the 08+ trucks completely wore out with less than 30k on them when you run wider than factory tires.
I have no pull when driving, but my truck dives to the left when I brake.

Any ideas? I am taking it to the shop soon.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:26 AM

Still have this issue even have brakes have been serviced I am thinking it is a alignment problem or bad parts. Any ideas?

Truck pulls to left when braking
Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreedPS View Post
Still have this issue even have brakes have been serviced I am thinking it is a alignment problem or bad parts. Any ideas?

Truck pulls to left when braking
I had the same problem with my 2011 f350. I had a Carli 4.5 on it with 35in toyo M/t's. It would only pull under braking. I just so happens i own a brake and alignment shop and we went through the truck 10 times over and couldnt ever find anything to fix it. I have a 2013 now with the exact same kit but with 37in toyo m/ts and the trucks drives perfect. Im starting to think it was a tire issue on my 2011. If its a alignment issue its going to pull at all times not just under braking. I would also check if your alignment shop used castor bushings in it. I had a shop put way to big of castor bushing in it. I pulled it and put a smaller one in and it helped some.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM

the more and more I drive it, I believe it is a alignment issue and the hard braking just exaggerates it more.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not sure if you have checked the track bar or not. Make sure everything is right with that. Did your alignment shop give you a print out of what your castor settings were?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.