Mini maxx confusion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mini maxx confusion

My truck is a 2014. Im not deleting yet but i want to get my hands on a tuner before its possibly too late. I can only find mini maxx tuners for 2013 models. Will a 2013 model work on a 2014 or do i have to find a 2014. Ive been looking for one all over online for a 2014 but have had no luck. maybe im just looking in the wrong places. If someone could PM me with some info id appreciate it.

Also im a little confused with the whole buying an unlock code after you purchase the tuner? i know it has something to do with the emmisons and where you live. But it just boggles my mind that you dish out more money before you can use a product that you already dished out money for in the first place haha. How much do these codes usually cost?

EDIT-Also i was wondering what the difference was between the international and the street tuner? which one would i be wanting to look into and purchase

Last edited by Ryistheguy; 02-13-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

H&s I'm guessing is what you're referring to. You'll need tuner 209006 (xrt) or 209007 (mini max) to work on a 2013 and up. The unlock code is 100$ and it is to access the 6.7 tuning.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think Ryistheguy is interested in getting his hands on a tuner with delete capabilities. From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the $100 unlock code, which jayz refers to, simply grants you access to tune the 6.7L Powerstroke. I'm not sure if that allows you to delete, unless that allows you to acquire tunes from other companies which have the delete codes programmed into their tunes. That makes sense to me, if that's how it's suppose to work.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

The $100 unlock code used to be to help cover the R&D cost for figuring out the code to get into the new ECM. Without the unlock code....no performance tunes would be downloaded into the ECM. I'm sure it's similar today.....sounds as though H&S is not giving delete programming or tunes to folks in the U.S. per some action by the EPA.

Good Luck.....We all pay to play...just the way it is.

Wayne
Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 AM

the $100 unlock code only applies to race tuners and race tuners only support up to 2012

if you find a tuner that works on a 13, it will work on a 14 and you will not have to purchase a 6.7 unlock code
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Great...should have used the term "Race Tunes" instead of performance tunes. Was trying to say "Delete Tunes"...but had a brain fart. Guess you can get "Green" tunes without the unlock code. Differences between us old tuner users and the new generation. Regardless...have enjoyed my H&S for nearly three years now.

Sign of getting old is increased frequency of brain farts !

Last edited by Senderofan; 02-14-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

International tuners are delete capable. I suggest digging into your local regs and see what you can come up with regarding emissions testing, if you can find anything saying your area doesnt require emissions equipment then apply for the high sulphur tuning. I spent a couple hours one night doing that, found the the province Im in doesnt require emissions testing and the vehicle wont fail a safety inspection with missing emissions equipment and thats all I needed, sent that info to H&S and they got back to me within a couple days saying I was approved for a high sulphur unlocked tuner.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok so im getting a little confused here. Am i going to need the unlock code or am i not going to need it. There are no EPA laws where i live.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:29 PM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah I'm confused now...

How much does the High Sulfur Unlock cost?

Is the High Sulfur Unlock sold as an unlocked tuner or just an unlock code? Or both?

Will the High Sulfur Unlock allow you to delete the emission's systems like a Race Tuner?

Does a Race Tuner already have the High Sulfur Unlock built in? Or is this a new feature?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryistheguy View Post
Ok so im getting a little confused here. Am i going to need the unlock code or am i not going to need it. There are no EPA laws where i live.
The only US Model H&S tuners that work on the 2013-2014 powerstrokes are the H&S #209006 (xrt) or the #209007 (mini max). These are the STREET TUNERS and only allow you to run DPF "Present" tunes.

If you want to run DPF "Removed" tunes, you will need to:

.....Buy an MCC license for the tuner (expensive and can be intimidating to someone who hasn't previously used tuning software)

.....Apply for an EPA "High Sulfur" license for your tuner so that you can purchase a "High Sulfur Unlock Code" (ain't gonna happen)

.....Buy an International Model Street Tuner from a Canadian vendor (shipping & insurance is expensive)

.....Buy a Street Tuner that has already been "modified" by the selling vendor. The "modification" can be via MCC, a High Sulfur Unlock Code or it may be an International Model that is an illegal immigrant.

The easiest way is the last option and they are readily available. I'll send you a PM letting you know when I got the one I'm running on my 2013, which will also work on a 2014.

I hope this information makes it less confusing for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.