Remove Spring Leafs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Remove Spring Leafs?

Would it be okay to remove a single leaf from rear spring assembly?

.......If so, which leaf would be best (safest) to remove?

I'm trying to lower the rear end of my truck between 0.5" <---> 1.0"
Dantron is offline  
post #2 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 
Skyd Ram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Thanks: 150
Thanked 122 Times in 115 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
Would it be okay to remove a single leaf from rear spring assembly?

.......If so, which leaf would be best (safest) to remove?

I'm trying to lower the rear end of my truck between 0.5" <---> 1.0"
Since these trucks (assuming that you have an F250) only have 2 main leafs plus a lower overload I would not suggest removing any leafs. You could however get a 1" block to replace the 2" block.



Carli Suspension | Pure Performance Suspension | Bilstein Shocks | Fox Shocks
Dynatrac | Flo Pro Exhaust| aFe Power | S&B | BMF | Fuel | Air Dog | Amp Research
Trailready Wheels | Spicer | ARP | REV-X | RIGID Industries | KD Fabworks | Baja Designs


8LUG Truck Gear
888-886-2480
Find us on Facebook
Skyd Ram is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd Ram View Post
Since these trucks (assuming that you have an F250) only have 2 main leafs plus a lower overload I would not suggest removing any leafs. You could however get a 1" block to replace the 2" block.
Good to know! I'll be leaving the leaf springs alone. I have a 6 inch lift so I would need to get a block thats an inch shorter than the current one.
Dantron is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
Good to know! I'll be leaving the leaf springs alone. I have a 6 inch lift so I would need to get a block thats an inch shorter than the current one.
Icon offers a 5" block. I have one with my mini pack

Brett

2013 F250 CCLB FX4 4" PURE PERFORMANCE
2013 F150 FX4 LEVELED 285'S
2001 F350 7.3 CCLB ZF6
rustyshakelford is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wish there was another way to slightly rake my truck upward. I'm afraid a full inch might be too much. The truck sits basically level, but at times it looks slightly downward raked. Also, when the tailgate is down, it's definitely not flat or level (that may have something to do with the platinum thing on the back of the tailgate). I need to use a leveling tool to see if it's not my imagination. It might be the way the truck is designed in regards to the overall shape of the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	237450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	237458  
Dantron is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Long Member
 
TMAG6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SE Houston
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your truck looks great to me bro. If you do go with different blocks I may take the old ones off your hands. Local pick-up!!

2014 6.7 CCSB FX4
Edge CTS
6" RCX Lift
H&S Turbo Kit
DieselSite Filters
S&B Intake - Dry
No Limit EGR Delete
4" Flo-Pro / Donaldson
H&S Tunes via XRT Pro
Bilstein 5160s Front 5125s Rear
60gal RDS Auxiliary Fuel Tank/Toolbox

Click HERE to save a childs life.

TMAG6.0 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAG6.0 View Post
Your truck looks great to me bro. If you do go with different blocks I may take the old ones off your hands. Local pick-up!!
I'm going to wait it out a bit before I do anything drastic. After I install the fender flares, put on some rear traction bars, and get a toolbox in the bed, I may look at it again and come to the conclusion that it sits fine. Meanwhile, I'm going to find my leveling tool and see if the thing is slightly raked forward.
Dantron is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think it would look bad to drop the rear down at all. It will have the look that lifted Chevys have driving down the road. Almost like they sit when they pee if you know what I mean. Have you put a tape to it? That would be the most accurate way, just measure from the ground to the middle of the wheel well. The DS should sit a hair lower if your full of fuel too.

I'll measure mine in the morning to give you something to compare against.

Brett

2013 F250 CCLB FX4 4" PURE PERFORMANCE
2013 F150 FX4 LEVELED 285'S
2001 F350 7.3 CCLB ZF6
rustyshakelford is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
POWERCHOKER
 
Dantron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 48
Thanked 111 Times in 102 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
I think it would look bad to drop the rear down at all. It will have the look that lifted Chevys have driving down the road. Almost like they sit when they pee if you know what I mean.

Brett
Haha...That's a pretty good analogy

Yeah I measured when the lift was first put on and it was definitely even. The truck looks level 90% of the time and I'm pretty sure the other 10% is due to the uneven ground that it happens to be sitting on. That's why I was interested in just removing a single leaf spring because they're only like 0.5" thick. I'm turned off easily by the factory raked look. I know once I have a load in the back I'd regret it if I did anything to the leveling of the truck. When I get a filled up toolbox in the bed the truck ought to sit just how I like it probably 100% of the time. I think this case is solved. I'm just going to leave it alone.
rustyshakelford likes this.
Dantron is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
Haha...That's a pretty good analogy

Yeah I measured when the lift was first put on and it was definitely even. The truck looks level 90% of the time and I'm pretty sure the other 10% is due to the uneven ground that it happens to be sitting on. That's why I was interested in just removing a single leaf spring because they're only like 0.5" thick. I'm turned off easily by the factory raked look. I know once I have a load in the back I'd regret it if I did anything to the leveling of the truck. When I get a filled up toolbox in the bed the truck ought to sit just how I like it probably 100% of the time. I think this case is solved. I'm just going to leave it alone.


It's the difference in fender gaps to the body line! The front fender is cut an inch higher then the rear! Look up PMF suspensions...they've blocks in all sizes in half inch increments
jayz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome