My Mileage Stinks! Going to Delete! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Mileage Stinks! Going to Delete!

I can't seem to get more than 10.5 mpg (city driving) in my 2013 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 3.55 axle and factory 20"wheels/tires. This is the same or less than I got with any of the five 6.4 trucks that I've owned. Several of my friends have the trucks configured the same as mine (2011 & 2012's) and consistently get 13 to 14 mpg, under the same driving conditions.

Yesterday, I took my truck to the Dealer (the Service Manager is a good friend) and he confirmed that my mileage was POOR, compared to other customers and his personal experience. He ran a diagnostic, which was on-the-money, updated my ECM with the latest software, adjusted a few parameters, then ran another diagnostic, which once again showed that everything was fine.

When I left the dealership, I filled-up, reset the trip computer (which by the way has always been within one-tenth of a mpg of hand-calculated mileage) and started driving. Everything looked GOOD for the first 50 or 60 miles (13.5 to 14 mpg), but then the mileage started dropping and as of this Post, is back down to 10.4 mpg.

I wish the Cleaning Exhaust Filter message required you to have to acknowledge it, but it doesn't, only staying ON for 1 to 2 seconds. I'm guessing that I'm regenerating a lot, which is killing my mileage.

I've checked for dragging brake pads, adjusted the air pressure in all the tires to Maximum and have really been careful with my driving habits, but nothing seems to help.

Anyway, I've ordered an H&S Mini-Maxx and an AFE Atlas 4" delete pipe, in hopes of increasing my MPG's with the delete. I drive 18,000 to 20,000 miles per year, so if I can average a 3 mpg increase, it will take me about 13 to 15 months to pay for the delete equipment.

Did any of you who were getting poor fuel economy like mine (with the DPF ON) see a 3 mpg or more increase in fuel economy after you did a delete?

I'm talking about HAND CALCULATED fuel mileage, not the increases that are seen when you Tune and the trip computer starts exaggerating things.

I should have everything in by the end of the week and will report back once everything is installed and I've racked up some miles with the delete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM

watching because we're looking at getting one for our exhavation bus.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannanw View Post

watching because we're looking at getting one for our exhavation bus.
Have to ask: What is an exhavation bus?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM

excavation business haha thats funny didn't catch that (was on my phone)
Old 01-15-2014, 11:19 AM

Dpf on with 35's I got just under 13. After deleting it went to 17 after a few tanks. When I'm super light on the skinny I'll see 18 and change. Most of the time I'm driving pretty fast and in stock setting and see 14 to 15.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mines getting deleted Friday. Tired of reading all the problems with the emissions if u don't delete. So good bye to mine
Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Wow sorry to hear about your poor mileage. As with most things, especially vehicles, things like gas mileage and reliability can vary greatly in the exact same vehicle. It's almost like the old adage, was it built on a Monday or Friday?

I would be pretty angry as well, and it just looks bad for Ford in general. It's like those some guys that every envy that claim to get 20mpg at 70, while others typically get around 17-18, and then the really unlucky ones get 14.. With gas mileage like yours, something sounds really wrong.

From what I've researched a lot, 3 mpg would be VERY hopeful.. Most get a pretty solid 2 mpg increase at best. However, maybe your mileage issue is caused by something in the DPF, EGR, or Exhaust that will give you much better mileage? You won't know till you find out.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrix View Post
From what I've researched a lot, 3 mpg would be VERY hopeful.. Most get a pretty solid 2 mpg increase at best. However, maybe your mileage issue is caused by something in the DPF, EGR, or Exhaust that will give you much better mileage? You won't know till you find out.
thank you! Humm keep the paid off truck that gets 9-12 empty or get a new one that should get 12-14 (dually 450/550 ect) Thanks and good luck with it! I'm wishing they got rid of emisions here
Old 01-16-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbhtrd06 View Post
Mines getting deleted Friday. Tired of reading all the problems with the emissions if u don't delete. So good bye to mine
This is the best reason to delete imo cause the mpg's going up from deleting is over rated, just search on here and read the threads.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:50 PM

I gained a SOLID 3 mpg when I deleted. Many people claim 19-20 with stock trucks, but I never saw that until I deleted. Now this is the most fuel efficient truck I've ever had out of 4 dodges and 1 7.3.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtBikePilot For This Useful Post:
t korkle (02-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.