Join Date: Dec 2013
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help on Which Tuner & Delete Kits
I know this is a common topic, so I did my homework and searched some forums a ton to come up with a list of upgrades I want to do to my truck. What I'd like to know is if I'm missing anything and if you would change anything on my list.
Truck Specs and uses:
- 2012 F350 4x4 DRW Crew Cab w/ 8' Bed
- 6.7 Powerstroke
- 3.73 gears
This truck is dedicated to two very different, but abusive uses:
1) It gets my wife back and forth to work each morning. She only drives about 4 miles each way, so I know this is extremely hard on the truck since it never has time to warm up fully.
2) It's used as a dedicated tow rig for pulling a 5,000 lb gooseneck trailer, a 4,500 lb race jeep, a 1,200 RZR XP side by side, and a 7,000 lb heavily built JK 4 door.... plus camping gear and people..... so we're talking over 9 tons of towing about twice a month for distances ranging from 2-4 hours.
Three Important Notes:
1) I am in Tennessee, so we do have quite a few mountains around us that I have to travel through.
2) I don't care about voiding the warranty, so please leave that talk at the door. My money, my decision.
3) Money is not necessarily an issue. I spent a lot on the truck, so I don't want to skimp on a couple hundred bucks.
Here is the list of items I'm planning on getting:
Cold Air Intake
- I'm tossed up between H&S and S&B... H&S claims a lot more air flow which makes me want to go with them.
- I've heard great things about Volant, however, everyone seems to having initial fitment issues they gotta tweak. I'd rather not mess with that.
- Looks like everyone is running Mini Maxx Race or a Black Maxx tuner. I no longer see the Black Maxx on their site, so I'm guessing I'll go with a Mini Maxx.
- I want a race tune (obviously), not a street tune. Looks like they're harder to get now-a-days, but mainly for the 2013+ models... so I think I might have lucked out on this.
- One thing I'm worried about is the Transmission tune issues, especially since I have mountains around me.... but it looks like those might be finally getting worked out.
- I've also been told to get the pyrometer kit to go with it so I can monitor exhaust temps.
- Flo~Pro Stainless 4" Cat & Delete Pipe with No Bungs
- Any difference between the 4" and 5" exhaust pipe? Guessing the 5" is just a little louder and no performance difference, right?
- Looks like everyone is going with either H&S or Sinister Diesel. I think I would go with Sinister Diesel here so that I'm not using plugs which could leak eventually. Plus, Sinister has some badass looking block off plates.
Is the EGT Kit good to have?
Also, a lot of people rave about traction bars… how much of a difference does it really make?
That's it. Am I missing anything to do this right? Would you change anything on the list? Thanks!
Last edited by Allgood_73; 12-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.