Help on Which Tuner & Delete Kits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Please Visit our Site Sponsors
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help on Which Tuner & Delete Kits

I know this is a common topic, so I did my homework and searched some forums a ton to come up with a list of upgrades I want to do to my truck. What I'd like to know is if I'm missing anything and if you would change anything on my list.

Truck Specs and uses:
- 2012 F350 4x4 DRW Crew Cab w/ 8' Bed
- 6.7 Powerstroke
- 3.73 gears

This truck is dedicated to two very different, but abusive uses:
1) It gets my wife back and forth to work each morning. She only drives about 4 miles each way, so I know this is extremely hard on the truck since it never has time to warm up fully.
2) It's used as a dedicated tow rig for pulling a 5,000 lb gooseneck trailer, a 4,500 lb race jeep, a 1,200 RZR XP side by side, and a 7,000 lb heavily built JK 4 door.... plus camping gear and people..... so we're talking over 9 tons of towing about twice a month for distances ranging from 2-4 hours.

Three Important Notes:
1) I am in Tennessee, so we do have quite a few mountains around us that I have to travel through.
2) I don't care about voiding the warranty, so please leave that talk at the door. My money, my decision.
3) Money is not necessarily an issue. I spent a lot on the truck, so I don't want to skimp on a couple hundred bucks.

Here is the list of items I'm planning on getting:

Cold Air Intake
- I'm tossed up between H&S and S&B... H&S claims a lot more air flow which makes me want to go with them.
- I've heard great things about Volant, however, everyone seems to having initial fitment issues they gotta tweak. I'd rather not mess with that.

Tuner
- Looks like everyone is running Mini Maxx Race or a Black Maxx tuner. I no longer see the Black Maxx on their site, so I'm guessing I'll go with a Mini Maxx.
- I want a race tune (obviously), not a street tune. Looks like they're harder to get now-a-days, but mainly for the 2013+ models... so I think I might have lucked out on this.
- One thing I'm worried about is the Transmission tune issues, especially since I have mountains around me.... but it looks like those might be finally getting worked out.
- I've also been told to get the pyrometer kit to go with it so I can monitor exhaust temps.

DPF Delete
- Flo~Pro Stainless 4" Cat & Delete Pipe with No Bungs
- Any difference between the 4" and 5" exhaust pipe? Guessing the 5" is just a little louder and no performance difference, right?

EGR Delete
- Looks like everyone is going with either H&S or Sinister Diesel. I think I would go with Sinister Diesel here so that I'm not using plugs which could leak eventually. Plus, Sinister has some badass looking block off plates.

Is the EGT Kit good to have?

Also, a lot of people rave about traction bars… how much of a difference does it really make?

That's it. Am I missing anything to do this right? Would you change anything on the list? Thanks!

Last edited by Allgood_73; 12-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Allgood_73 For This Useful Post:
HCFR34 (12-20-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No one? I know my topic is long…. but at least you don't need more info.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post
No one? I know my topic is long…. but at least you don't need more info.
Hey! i'll just copy and paste my response JK
Old 12-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOFLYER View Post
Hey! i'll just copy and paste my response JK
Haha, yeah, I added the EGT kit to this list ^^^^ Thanks!
Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood_73 View Post
Haha, yeah, I added the EGT kit to this list ^^^^ Thanks!
No problem!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Go with the mini max tuner. There is company's out there that will make it work for the newer years. And yes do the pyrometer sensor.
Do the h&s egr delete because sinister blue doesn't match anything but there the best.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I tell the same thing to everyone,
H&S XRT street tuner - $550
MCC unlock and SPE tune-$300
Intake-$250
Exhaust-$400
Sinister EGR kit $250
Edge insight and EGT probe-$400
And you will be super hooked up !! When you MCC your tune select NO NO NO for trans tuning just use your stock tuning and use the SH** out of your +/- buttons there is a few other fellas on here that use there trucks as trucks and they will tell ya the same thing the few guys who have used H&S and SPE trans tuning to tow have gotten new clutches in their tranny within 10k , not worth it unless you have a delete friendly dealer. The good thing about this set up is its bullet proof you flash it once to the power level you desire and forget about it the wifey cant push anything weird on the Mini and mess anything up you don't have to deal with the Mini "quirks " all your gauges are on the insight and it tows like a beast. I frequently have 8-10k behind my truck and I don't hesitate to excel at 3/4 throttle to mess with duramax and cummins boys while towing and I have never seen my EGTs get over 1200 running SPE's " safe tune ".
The Following User Says Thank You to Carli'd6.7 For This Useful Post:
jsaund22 (02-15-2014)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:00 PM

a cold air kit is the WORST thing you can do to your truck. the stock filters flow WAY more than enough to support any HP a tuner is gonna add (especially to a 6.7). Those oiled aftermarket filters basically end up letting your engine suck straight dust after a few thousand miles.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefmalone View Post
a cold air kit is the WORST thing you can do to your truck. the stock filters flow WAY more than enough to support any HP a tuner is gonna add (especially to a 6.7). Those oiled aftermarket filters basically end up letting your engine suck straight dust after a few thousand miles.
I'd like to see some hard facts/charts to substantiate such a bold statement...This is news to me so if you can back up your claim then please do, otherwise I would suggest your post be ignored.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 PM

This is.a great post and id like to hear how everything came.out with your planning n what you found

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
State/Province
What state or province do you live in?
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others. Enter the last two characters of the word "Powerstroke"
Security Question #2
*Required, this field is not shown to others. "While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State the animal mentioned in the sentence above."
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.