Headlight Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlight Help

Well I to have been suckered by Recon. Ordered their CCFL projector headlights with HID's. To say that the light out put sucks would be a understatement! I have done a little research (only had my truck 1 week). Looks like a lot of guys are going with the Morimoto Projector. Where would you guys buy these and what would they cost. Also is it easy to just take out my Recon projector and replace it with the Morimoto? If I am on the wrong track PLEASE tell me. I just want as bright a headlight as possible with WHITE LIGHT. Not blue or purple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to InMotionJosh
The biggest problem with the Recon headlights is that the projector is not made for an HID. Believe it or not there are halogen projectors which is what the recons are, and there are HID projectors like the Morimoto or OEM Factory style projectors.

I am sure its possible to replace the projector in the recon, but i would just use them on the truck, take your stock headlights and send them off to a retrofit company and you can have them painted, add projectors, add LEDs, add Halos etc.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it would be easy to just replace the Recon projector. I personally like the way the lights look. It's just the light out put. What is the cost of retrofitting the stock headlights?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have my OEM headlights being retrofitted with Morimoto's by Jeremy at The Retro Shop as we speak. I know a few people that have had work done by him and he's been great to work with on my project. Anxious to get the finished product.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that it would be easy to just replace the Recon projector. I personally like the way the lights look. It's just the light out put. What is the cost of retrofitting the stock headlights?
Check out The Retro Shop online. The pricing and options for our trucks are on there.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 AM

I will check it out. I just spoke to the retro fit source. Basically $200 for Morimoto mini H1 with bulbs and wiring relay. Wish someone with the Recon's would chime in. I don't want to buy them if they won't fit.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
I will check it out. I just spoke to the retro fit source. Basically $200 for Morimoto mini H1 with bulbs and wiring relay. Wish someone with the Recon's would chime in. I don't want to buy them if they won't fit.
Email Jeremy at the retro shop. He installs the Morimoto H1 kits in the Super duty retrofits. I'm sure he would know if they can be installed in the Recon's
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Thank you for steering me to their site. I actually just did email him to ask what would be involved; to retro fit the morimoto into the RECON. Sure wish I would of heard about these guys a few weeks sooner. Oh well live and learn I guess.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

It might just be recons hid's that are the problem I have hid's in my recon headlights and they are really bright.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-16-2013, 03:13 PM

Well that is good to hear. What type of HID bulb are you running? I'm running there 6000 Kelvin bulb. If I am in town with the street lights on; you can't even tell that my headlights are on! In some blowing drifting snow I could not see the road. They told me I was getting a white light. These are blue to purple. Hate the color and can not see much more than 25-30 feet in front of the truck. I need to do something; this is so bad that it is not safe. Also my high beams, which I believe is just a regular halogen are WAY brighter than my HID'S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.