CAT-Back Straight Pipe Duel Exit Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 06:26 PM
-POWERJOKER-

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
CAT-Back Straight Pipe Duel Exit Exhaust

Anybody seen a straight pipe from the catalytic converter to dual opposite-side exit (one exit each side) exhaust system or at least something similar? I'm thinking about this exhaust set-up, but I don't know much about exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
Anybody seen a straight pipe from the catalytic converter to dual opposite-side exit (one exit each side) exhaust system or at least something similar? I'm thinking about this exhaust set-up, but I don't know much about exhaust.
First off, it will be considered a "DPF-Back" exhaust on our trucks, as the DPF is in place of standard "Cats" found on gas powered vehicles.

I have this kit on my truck, which I am thinking is what your looking for:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mb...250-super-duty

Just an FYI, you really won't gain any performance or sound with this kit, unless you delete the DPF. It will be more for looks than anything else if you leave the DPF in place.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 AM
-POWERJOKER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
First off, it will be considered a "DPF-Back" exhaust on our trucks, as the DPF is in place of standard "Cats" found on gas powered vehicles.

I have this kit on my truck, which I am thinking is what your looking for:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mb...250-super-duty

Just an FYI, you really won't gain any performance or sound with this kit, unless you delete the DPF. It will be more for looks than anything else if you leave the DPF in place.
So are you saying that there isn't a catalytic converter on our diesel trucks?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Our trucks have a selective catalytic reduction system and diesel particulate filter. That massive refinery of an exhaust is what you see under our trucks. Yes, the DPF is like a cat in some respects. It catches the particulate. Truck goes into regen to burn off the particulate. The SCR doses the exhaust with urea to cause a chemical reaction with NOx emissions. This reduces NOx to nitrogen and water.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:17 PM
-POWERJOKER-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was to my understanding that the order of emission control systems located under the truck went in the order of catalytic converter, selective catalyst reduction system (DEF fluid injection into pipe before DPF), Diesel Particulate Filter, then exit exhaust piping. When I used the reference, CAT-Back Straight-Pipe, I was implying that the DPF would be deleted.

Does anyone know if it is possible, or reasonable, to install a DPF-back Dual Exit Exhaust now, and after 36k miles, go back and delete the DPF and EGR systems just for the sake of warranty. Do you have to replace the DPF with straight piping or can you take out all of the filter and it can act as sort of a muffler?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantron View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was to my understanding that the order of emission control systems located under the truck went in the order of catalytic converter, selective catalyst reduction system (DEF fluid injection into pipe before DPF), Diesel Particulate Filter, then exit exhaust piping. When I used the reference, CAT-Back Straight-Pipe, I was implying that the DPF would be deleted.

Does anyone know if it is possible, or reasonable, to install a DPF-back Dual Exit Exhaust now, and after 36k miles, go back and delete the DPF and EGR systems just for the sake of warranty. Do you have to replace the DPF with straight piping or can you take out all of the filter and it can act as sort of a muffler?
The entire restrictive emissions nonsense is all in one piece so it's an all or nothing sort of thing. You either fully Delete or go DPF-Back. Sounds like you're wanting to go full delete which requires a tuner that is delete capable in order to run that setup at all. MBRP makes a dual exit like you're talking about in a 4" for DPF back or for full delete.

It's easy to install a DPF back but other than aesthetics it won't do anything really. You'd be better off replacing the DPF with a straight pipe then hacking it up to be a "muffler" because then you're screwed if you're trying to get warranty work and don't have a functioning DPF to put back on and it would have terrible flow going from a 4" to an 8" then back down to a 4" exiting the DPF chamber. If you want you can get muffled downpipe back systems. The 4" downpipe back systems are quieter than the 5" for reference.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 AM
-POWERJOKER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis2011KR View Post
The entire restrictive emissions nonsense is all in one piece so it's an all or nothing sort of thing. You either fully Delete or go DPF-Back. Sounds like you're wanting to go full delete which requires a tuner that is delete capable in order to run that setup at all. MBRP makes a dual exit like you're talking about in a 4" for DPF back or for full delete.

It's easy to install a DPF back but other than aesthetics it won't do anything really. You'd be better off replacing the DPF with a straight pipe then hacking it up to be a "muffler" because then you're screwed if you're trying to get warranty work and don't have a functioning DPF to put back on and it would have terrible flow going from a 4" to an 8" then back down to a 4" exiting the DPF chamber. If you want you can get muffled downpipe back systems. The 4" downpipe back systems are quieter than the 5" for reference.
Ah I see. I didn't think about the ability to put the functioning DPF back on for warranty issues. The only reason I was considering hacking up the inner DPF and leaving the DPF piping was if law enforcement wanted to visually inspect my exhaust system during a pull-over. I have no desire for a muffler. Thanks for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.