egr plugged in? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr plugged in?

OK guys...long story short

Very reputable shop in my area installed mini maxx street tuner with their custom tunes, 5" tbe, S&B, and was gonna delete egr but a bolt in the back of the unit was cross threaded from factory and I was advised by the tech that it was in danger of breaking so better to leave the unit in place unless I wanted to take a chance of having to pay for cab off and alot of other BS due to bolt breaking...I say Ok, how is this gonna affect the truck, he says just leave the unit plugged in and their tunes shut it down completely, assured me it was safe.

So I'm running the above equipment with the egr plugged in and not blocked off and have no pyro because I have no block off plates...getting conflicting information on the web as to what I should do about the egr? I'm not really that concerned about the pyro but need knowledgable input about the egr.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
LORD OF WAR

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
h&s tuner instructions say to un plug the orange connector on the egr...seen some threads that if going back to stock some have had egr codes...something to do with a stuck valve...so I assume that is why they say un plug that orange plug. even though its disabled it does weird things as it still has coolant and exhaust flowing through it. as far as a bolt being stuck...are you talking about the 10mm nut on the very back side? if so that only needs to be loosend a bit to take the harness that has a hook off. I made a write up about the egr delete I did and took a pic of the backside so you can see what your working on. I had zero issue getting any bolts out, they were not that tight....and if one was cross threaded I would still yank it out as it has no effect on the delete...other than you wouldn't be able to put it back on...even so once you broke a bolt you could get a tap and die or whatever you needed to fix the situation as you will have a ton of room once its out. I didn't see anything that could've went wrong on the delete that would've required a cab off... I am not a diesel expert by any means...I have done all of the work to my truck in the last 2 months listed in my sig by myself but had an extra set of hands in my father in law and a buddy. I hate to say it but I think your reputable shop is either being lazy or chicken **** cuz if I can do it...anybody can. if you look in your pipes and manifold the **** in their will make you want to yank as much of that stuff off as soon as possible.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM

I'm not sure what bolt it was but it couldn't have been the one on the back as they didn't get that far. I'm at a loss as what to do because the main reason I started all this was to keep **** from exhaust getting back into my engine...I'm tempted to get the kit from them and try it myself...everything else is done but the egr and truck runs good. So even though the tuner turns the egr off exhaust is still flowing through it just at a slower rate or what?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'd recommend contacting H&S to see what they have to say about it. Just my $.02
Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 PM

Will be my first call in the morning...

Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM

The EGR is supposed to be unplugged when deleted according to their instructions IIRC
Old 11-14-2013, 03:36 AM

thanks for the replies guys...the more i think about this and the more research i've done the more inclined I am to having a long conversation with the owner of the shop this morning.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Again thanks for the replies guys and have talked to the shop owner, very positive conversation...will be taken care of
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 AM
LORD OF WAR

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpilot View Post
Again thanks for the replies guys and have talked to the shop owner, very positive conversation...will be taken care of
Curious to hear what they had to say...I assume they are going to move forward with the work?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson1each View Post
Curious to hear what they had to say...I assume they are going to move forward with the work?

Yes they are but with the understanding that if the manifold bolt breaks that is cross threaded it's gonna cost me a little more...hopefully it won't break and I'll be good but either way it's coming out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.