6.7 Tuner Dilemma - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Tuner Dilemma

I have a dilemma, I cannot buy a 2011 or 2012 6.7 until the fall of next year and I am worried about not being able to find an H&S Mini Maxx Race tuner to do the DPF delete. I do not have the funds right now to buy one just to have sitting around waiting. So that leaves me with about 2 options if I cannot find a Mini Maxx Race tuner. 1. Buy an H&S Mini Maxx Street tuner and have custom tunes put on it with DPF On or option 2. By a Spartan granted that by next year they will still be selling DPF delete tuners. I am not to fond of Spartan not because of the quality of the tunes but not being able to shift on the fly, no tire calibration, no custom tunes from outside vendors & $600 to change engines if you were to sell it to someone with a different engine than yours. Also if for say Spartan happened to go out of business for some reason, I would think that you would be SOL with a $1,500 tuner that you can't do anything with at least that is what I am aware of. So I would like some opinions please, does the DPF delete from Spartan outweigh running the H&S Mini Maxx Street tuner with DPF On with custom tunes from other vendors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 PM

I went with the spartan and couldn't be happier . I like it cause I did a lot of reading and research and knowing how I am spartan was safer for me I say this because with the option to shift on the fly it can be harder on stuff because it's an instant change and doesn't give your truck a chance to react and learn the tune correctly IMHO . Once I put my spartan on and got into the truck I fell in love with it all over again it's a beast ! I researched stuff for over three months and I went with it . Couple things I don't care for but things on mini maxx I didn't care for either . I think spartan and h&s are gonna be around for a while and are not gonna go out of business anytime soon so research it and do what ya think is gonna suit u and Ur truck truck best

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a spartan on my 2008 and have an H&S on my current 2011 6.7, I was very impressed with the raw power of the spartan however the shifting was rough at best. I understand comparing a tuned 6.4 to a tuned 6.7 is comparing apples to oranges but I will say that the H&S seems to be much more refined and has much better street manners. Both of the trucks were on 40" tires with traction bars and there is definitely a huge difference in how the new truck shifts tuned vs the 6.4 tuned. That being said th OP should buy a tuner at all costs ASAP due to availability. You will not regret it and the DPF tunes all suck in comparison to the DPF off tunes. Just my .02 but I promise you will not regret tuning this truck and taking all of the DPF, urea injection off and letting the engine breathe
Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 AM

i personally would not get in a hurry buying a tuner there is always going to be a way to dpf delete. there is a huge market for dpf delete tuning and unless that changes which it wont there will be somebody getting around all the regulation to make a buck. there sure living it up right now 1,400 for a base tuner come on that's crazy. cant tell me somebodys not making a killin there.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:04 PM

I am with you 08 on the cost of the tuners. I really do not want to pay $1,700 for a Mini Maxx Race tuner when they originally sold for $850. I do see where you are coming from on waiting, the market is big and by next year someone may have another DPF delete tuner out. Chaas, I have every intention of removing the DPF as I have a short drive to work and I do not want to deal with it going into regen and all that other crap. I have a kid on the way so I cannot afford to purchase a tuner at this time otherwise I would. Skinny, I run my DP-Tuner 7 position chip and I have never had any trans issues while switching tunes on the fly, I let off the throttle when I switch but 99% of time I stay in my economy tune. I do understand that the new trannys are much more sophisticated than my 4R100 and they do have the learning feature in them so that trans may take it harder than mine would. I guess what I am trying to get at is if it came down to no other tuners were available but Spartan were DPF delete would everyone sacrifice the shift on the fly & custom tunes from outside vendors to purchase a Spartan to run their trucks without the DPF system?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:18 PM

I bought my mini max in 2010 paid 900 for it and I felt like I got ripped off at that price lol. I miss the days when u could get on ebay and pick up a decent programmer for $250 easy. as long as people continue dishin out the cash these greedy dealers and manufactures will continue uping the price. I wonder just how much they have invested in each tuner mayb $50? then slapping a $1700 price tag on it, seems to me like theres room for more competition here. on the new dodges they got a way to take the dpf off without a tuner somehow fooling the sensors and is really cheap I like that idea cause these trucks have more than enough power stock. hopefully its a matter of time til that idea spreads to ford and chevy so everyone will stop paying these ridiculous prices for a tuner
Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM
LORD OF WAR

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sooooo...I got caught up in the tuner hype about 2 months ago...figured I better get it all now before it goes away(kinda like the gun panic from last Dec)...I paid 1500 for the Spartan...ran it 2 weeks before I figured out it will not support future projects such as a fancy turbo replacement...wanting to put the intercooler pipe upgrade I figured out Spartan tuner will not allow that either because they leave the throttle body active...sooooo I figure I better correct the mistake now since I have no idea where the market will be when I need a new turbo and have to change tuners....I shell out another 1800 for an H&S...then another $285 for the MCC unlock SPE tune...I just mailed my Spartan back today to the folks I bought the H&S for 700 bucks...Ive wasted a bunch of money playing with this tuner non sense...but it sure makes driving the truck fun. gotta pay to play...but know what your options are with the different tuners and future upgrade potential before you buy...or pay through the nose like I did.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 PM

That's weird cause I was talking to spartan tonight and I'm getting a turbo upgrade soon which we be the mpd turbo and it'll support it just fine . I love my spartan and am glad I went this way and from what they have told me everything I want to do will be just fine. I don't want to go to the extreme but turbo upgrade is in my near future and I know with what I got it'll be fine. I don't plan on massive power just towing which is all I do and spartan had the best a valuable option for me 1850 for tuner , exhaust, and afe stage 2 intake I'm happy

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 PM
LORD OF WAR

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I am not familiar with MPD's turbo...I did spend some time talking with SPE about their drop in turbo...they said it will work with Spartans tuning but not as well as it would with their tune for it...which is only supported with mcc tuning...with Spartans tuning I was told I would get more smoke on the bottom end with a bit of turbo lag cuz the tune is for a VGT and I would have a single turbo...no codes would be thrown but the new tune would eliminate the extra fuel build up since the turbo would spool properly. There are enough Spartan vs h&s threads and I have nothing bad to say about either...but I figured to offer my story up to help those deciding...bottom line is know what you want to do with your truck or may want to do with it in the future as the farther you want to go can only be supported with one tuner. I wasted money cuz I did my homework after buying the tuner and it wasn't the one for me as I intend to go full tilt with my truck over the years. in the mean time I just wanted the peace of mind of upgrading the intercooler pipe...that's what lead me to figure out I needed to make the change. different strokes for different folks
Old 11-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Ah gotcha yeah and I wasn't calling ya a liar either sorry if I came across that way and yeah they did tell me about the lag and pretty much exactly how ya said it. Either way I'm glad I'm deleted should have done it sooner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.