Looking for advise-Turbo "bark" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for advise-Turbo "bark"

A little background: I have a '12 6.7 with H&S minimaxx, K&N intake, 5in. DPF back magnaflow exhaust and 4in. (aFe?) exhaust section where the DFP was. Running the DPF deleted "tune" and have the EGR unplugged, but not removed.

The Problem: As I'm sure most of you, that have installed a similar setup on your 6.7, have noticed that there is a "bark" when you press the throttle and let off rapidly. Is this bad for the turbo? Even if it isn't what can I do to get ride of it? I've done a little research and saw some people putting on blow off valves or waste gates to possibly combat this issue, but nothing seems to directly relate to getting rid of the bark.

I'm pretty new to the diesel world so any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

That's normal. I like the sound though every time I do it around a crowd of drunks they woooo back haha.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why does it do that anyway? I mean no other trucks have that distinct noise.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:02 AM

I have very little experience with these fords but when I had several cummins we didn't like the turbo barking. It was hard on them. Affects the longevity.

I did some digging on the cummins site and came back across this.

Is it normal for a turbo to bark?

No it is a normal noise that the intake system makes. It is the sound of air exiting back out of the intake system. When you have your foot buried in the throttle, you have this huge amount of air rushing into the intake system. When you take your foot off of the throttle, no more air is needed. So the turbo slows and the blades act like a door, it will not allow any more air into the engine. You have some air still trying to rush into the turbo, but it can't so it basically bounces off of the turbine blades and exits out the same way it came in. Some people have said that their truck moos like a cow and then some have claimed that the truck barks like a dog as well. This also happens with the stock intake setup. You just don't hear it as much because the stock intake system is so restrictive doesn't have the air flow like our intake system.

Brett
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 AM

I wouldn't consider it turbo bark as its not actually barking its more of a winding down noise. Plus turbo bark is the sound of the air rushing out the compressor housing back through the intake. The wheel is actually stalling for very short amounts of time. You don't really here turbo bark from the turbine wheel through the exhaust. Plus like you said you need the engine under heavy load so the turbo is pushing large amounts of air to make a real bark. The 6.7 still wines when you give it a quick jab of the throttle in park with little load and not much boost built.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 AM

If you're talking about the squeal sound it's the wastegate and is perfectly normal on a deleted truck to hear it. It's unique to the 6.7L Ford's and you won't hear the same thing on the older motors. There is no way to avoid having that sound and staying deleted, with all the emissions stuff on it quiets down the sound but thats the only way. A new blow off isn't going to fix it and would just exagerate the whoosh sound when you let off the throttle.

EDIT: Maybe we are talking about two different sounds then because there is squeal from the wastegate under throttle at part throttle conditions after target boost for that load has been reached.

I still don't see how an aftermarket BOV is going to fix the issue when the factory has a BPV that is effectively doing the same thing already. If it isn't good for the stock turbo then it must not be THAT bad considering how many deleted trucks are running around on the stock BPV which is like 99% of them. That being said, respectfully I don't think driving with sense has anything at all to do with it, it makes the squeal sound even at low throttle and lifting albeit not as much it is still doing it everytime you lift off the pedal.

Last edited by Axis2011KR; 10-02-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 AM

That doesn't make sense either, the wastegate should only be opening to relieve drive pressure when commanded boost is reached. It shouldn't be opening when your getting out of it either, the only time it should be opening is when like I said peak boost is being reached. Giving it a quick rev in park is never going to get you anywhere near peak boost, so the wastegate should never be opening as far as I am concerned. I could be wrong though
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis2011KR View Post
If you're talking about the squeal sound it's the wastegate and is perfectly normal on a deleted truck to hear it. It's unique to the 6.7L Ford's and you won't hear the same thing on the older motors. There is no way to avoid having that sound and staying deleted, with all the emissions stuff on it quiets down the sound but thats the only way. A new blow off isn't going to fix it and would just exagerate the whoosh sound when you let off the throttle. As far as I know there aren't any aftermarket wastegates for stock turbo's available and it would be redundant I'd think honestly to weld the stock one shut and use an aftermarket gate on a stocker not to mention a waste of several hundred dollars.
That isn't the wastegate opening, it has already been said it is the buildup of pressure on the intake side (boost) that once you let off is no longer being built and the turbine side gases are no longer forcing the turbine wheel to spin hard enough to keep the boost built so the boost pressure has over come what the turbo can keep maintaining and it is rushing back past the compressor wheel on the intake side.

It isn't good for the turbo shaft/bearings but I believe the reason the 6.7 has the distinct sound/whine instead of the fluttering sound like other setups is because of the dual compressor wheel setup. The only way to fix this is to add a blow off valve or drive with sense.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan572 View Post
That doesn't make sense either, the wastegate should only be opening to relieve drive pressure when commanded boost is reached. It shouldn't be opening when your getting out of it either, the only time it should be opening is when like I said peak boost is being reached. Giving it a quick rev in park is never going to get you anywhere near peak boost, so the wastegate should never be opening as far as I am concerned. I could be wrong though
Peak boost is a relative term. Target boost which is what we're really talking about varies a lot depending on engine load. Target boost at say 25% throttle might only be like 10psi, this is just a random figure I pulled out of the air whereas say target boost at full throttle might be 32psi. I updated my earlier post to hopefully provide some clarity. The wastegate will open anytime target boost has been reached though and is determined by the ECU. This makes it possible at part throttle to hear the wastegate squeal I'm talking about.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Yes peak boost is pretty irrelevant like you said, but from my understanding the waste gate is not opening unless peak commanded boost is reached. How could you possible build boost efficiently if the wastegate was constantly opening say at 10 pounds because that is the commanded boost for that given load and rpm? I mean the wastegate isnt even hardly necessary, a lot of diesels don't even have them since diesels are controlled by fueling and not air flow like a gas engine. You dump the fuel to it to make the engine build boost and supply more air to properly burn the mixture. Thats obviously why diesels smoke more on takeoff or pulling stuff, there try to build the boost to get enough air to burn the fuel, the wastegate is only there to control excess drive pressures. If you have a waste gate that is constantly opening it would be like having a cracked uppipe or leaking manifold and would result in poor performance. On top of that why would the gate open when you get out of the throttle? That is when boost is decreasing, it wouldn't stay shut the entire time your giving it then open once you get out of the throttle, thats what a bov does. I could be wrong though, the dualboost turbo is new technology.

Edit: Just read your edited post, I don't have a 6.7 yet so all i can go off of is videos I have heard lol. I didn't know that you can hear the wining noise when your in the throttle, I thought it was only when you get out of it like all the youtube videos show. You may be right then, it could be the wastegate opening to control boost even in a low rpm low load situation. Traditional diesels I always thought just cut fueling, opened the egr valve more, or opened the veins on the turbine to relieve pressure. Maybe they decided on the 6.7 that a proper wastegate was also needed.

Last edited by jordan572; 10-02-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.