Turbo Back Exhaust install time. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Back Exhaust install time.

All my stuff has arrived for my delete, I was wanting to know what is the typical install time on doing a 5" from the down pipe back? Also estimated time on a EGR delete? I work nights on a 12hr shift and only get 1 scheduled day off a month. Want to tackle it a day before work. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depends on how good of a mechanic you are. Took me and a co-worker about 6 hours to do the dpf delete on my truck and took me about 45 minutes to do egr block off plates. Took me and the same coworker about 6 hours as well to do the turbo back exhaust on his 6.4. My friend is a fairly good sled mechanic but that's about all he works on and I can do basic maintenance on my vehicles and that's about the best of my ability haha.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM

No issue with mechanical skills, just didnt to run into a snag on a weekend and have to wait for Monday for support.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 PM

The downpipe back isn't bad at all until you have to remove the last bolts supporting the DPF because that sucker is freaking heavy and almost impossible to do with one person unless you have a crawler or something that you can set it on and wheel it out from under the truck.

Things to have:
PB Blaster for the nuts/bolts that won't come off easily

Lots of socket extensions/flexi adapters mainly for the bolts on the downpipe/midpipe connection

6 pack of beer (optional but mandatory in my book)

I did it by myself in 2 hours and then a friend showed up just in time to help me pull the dpf out from under the truck and into the garage.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM

Ya should be able to do it in 2 maybe 3 hours. Spray penetrating oil onto the bolts holding the exhaust together an hour before you start to let it soak. and spray the rubber hangers with a good silicon spray. Use a small jack under the DPF and a ratchet strap to make sure it doesn't roll off. Unplug the electrical sensors? then unbolt . a ratchet strap or cum-along is helpful for separating the pieces . Work from the DP towards the rear.

As for the egr. It's simple, 30-45 minutes to remove and block it off. I did all of this by myself. So if you have help it may speed it up, or slow you down depending on the helper lol
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM

Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate the input. Do you guys recommend loading the H&S file first to make sure the PCM takes the flash? I have read where some have had problems trying to do first flash and had to take truck to dealer.

Another question is I hooked up the Mini Maxx yesterday, just ran the power and mounted everything, I didnt flash the tune yet...but my question is on the power wire... I used the white wire with the blue tracer and it is 12v Ignition hot like the manual says,, but it interrupts power during crank. It says in manual to make sure it has power during crank...anyone else have to use a different a different wire? I used a volt meter to test different wires but all where 5v or 10v or none. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 AM

removed the DPF just myslef in the driveway with a floor jack in 2.5 hours. your just interupting power to the gauges the tune will always be on your truck. its also getting low voltage from OBD port thats why you can change the switch on the power box to ign or all the time on. I havent had issues with the interuption on my 13.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Yes do the download FIRST , while everything stock is still installed to make sure it takes. Once the tuning is good to go. Start on the exhaust.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:20 PM

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but when I deleted my 12 I had to cut the exhaust down to size. It was a 5 in mbrp and it was to long, and the piece that went over the axle was to long to and it stuck way out past the side of the truck. So a buddy and I had to use a chop saw and cut it down to size. Thank goodness I was at his shop, if I was at home I wouldn't have had a chop saw. Is this normal?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
I'm not trying to derail the thread, but when I deleted my 12 I had to cut the exhaust down to size. It was a 5 in mbrp and it was to long, and the piece that went over the axle was to long to and it stuck way out past the side of the truck. So a buddy and I had to use a chop saw and cut it down to size. Thank goodness I was at his shop, if I was at home I wouldn't have had a chop saw. Is this normal?
Sounds like you had a LWB kit...mines a Flo-Pro and has a LWB adapter.

Thanks again guys...got derailed this morning, oldest totalled his car this morning. Hope to knock it out tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.