turbo advise needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo advise needed

Well I found out today that my turbo will not be warrantied cause my air filter was plugged. Only 10k miles on this turbo. dont wana another junk factory turbo. I'm not looking to make a lot of power just reliability and a nice sound. Anybody have any idea what my options are. Id like a vgt I think to get the sound I want. I live in Okla and id also like to find a shop to do the work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

What part of Oklahoma? Diesel power plus on tulsa seems to be a good shop also Thompson diesel.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live by Woodward but the trucks at enid
Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08powerstroke6.4 View Post
Well I found out today that my turbo will not be warrantied cause my air filter was plugged. Only 10k miles on this turbo. dont wana another junk factory turbo. I'm not looking to make a lot of power just reliability and a nice sound. Anybody have any idea what my options are. Id like a vgt I think to get the sound I want. I live in Okla and id also like to find a shop to do the work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have any advice, but reading your post prompted a question in my head, so hopefully u don't mind. The dealership denied your warranty due to a clogged air filter, but didn't give u a hard time for being deleted?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exactly. I thought they changed the air filter when they replaced the last turbo. I haven't seen the filter myself I'm out out state for awhile. They said the filter was horrible but before I took it in I looked at the air filter gauge and it was sucked in halfway maybe a little more but not in the red or anything like that. Idk what to do
Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 PM

You could contact SPE and ask about their drop in turbo upgrade. Keeps the factory intake and everything see: Pre-order Spe 6 7 Powerstroke Drop-in Turbo System - Spe67pdst - Turbocharger Kits & Accessories
Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutymatrix View Post
You could contact SPE and ask about their drop in turbo upgrade. Keeps the factory intake and everything see: Pre-order Spe 6 7 Powerstroke Drop-in Turbo System - Spe67pdst - Turbocharger Kits & Accessories
That's a preorder right? Like its not even out yet? And is that turbo a vgt? Seems like u could never get the whistle and jet like sounds out if a fixed vane. I only run mild tuning and honestly that more power than I need. I just want it to be reliable like my 6.4 was. I drove that 6.4 from 80k miles to 140k tuned pretty high and gave it he$% and it never had one single engine problem. My 6.7 gets babied around compared to it
Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08powerstroke6.4 View Post
That's a preorder right? Like its not even out yet? And is that turbo a vgt? Seems like u could never get the whistle and jet like sounds out if a fixed vane. I only run mild tuning and honestly that more power than I need. I just want it to be reliable like my 6.4 was. I drove that 6.4 from 80k miles to 140k tuned pretty high and gave it he$% and it never had one single engine problem. My 6.7 gets babied around compared to it

Is that what people base their turbo decision on? Plus, a VGT turbo can sound just like any fixed vane turbo you want it to sound like since you can tune the vanes to the position of your liking if that's what you would rather do over drivability
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM

Getting an aftermarket VGT is probably a long ways out. The VGT turbos have their advantages, but you have to remember that the VGT mechanism is another part to have problems with that a fixed turbo won't have.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Elite is supposed to have a few vv turbos Idk if they are out yet tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.