Delete advice. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Delete advice.

Well I am looking at deleting my truck. I am a pretty conservative driver and am not interested in any hot tunes at all. This truck is not a race car to me. I am only interested in not dealing with DEF, getting better MPG, taking a little back pressure off the turbo and getting a little sound from the truck. That being said I would like to know if there is anyone on here that has had a deleted truck for years with no problems. I am concerned about deleting and then blowing my turbo and having to come out of pocket to fix it. My truck currently only has 2,600 miles on it. It would be a shame to ruin a brand new truck.

Thank you guys for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i haven't been deleted for years, but i have been deleted now for about 7 months driving conservatively with zero problems.

anything can happen, but as long as you're being responsible and not going nuts at every green light then chances are everything will be fine.

it took me a while to get over the warranty hurdle, but deleting is worth it.

good luck.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I thought it was a tough choice to delete and get rid of the warranty too. But after getting that stupid exhaust fluid system fault message a handful of times and the thought of being stranded or something made the decision a little easier. I have been deleted for about 5 months and a little over 4k miles. I have said it multiple times before, I wish I would have deleted sooner and not waited until 10k miles. Its pretty evident that the truck is much happier without all of engine clogging emissions crap, (like most all vehicles). I have had no issues with the truck before or after so i can't say either way. It does seem the weak link on these trucks is the turbo. If it does go they sell stock replacement for around $1200-1800 and you can find aftermarket complete kits for a little over $3k. I know its not pocket change but it gives you an idea. Personally I might just be preemptive and buy an aftermarket anyway!

I don't think you will regret it. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck was having issues with the def system as well so that's why I deleted. Living in the northern part of Manitoba, Canada the temperature can drop to a bone chilling -50 to -60C (-58 to -76F) and my def fluid was constantly freezing so the thought of being out in the middle of no where and having my truck not working wasn't an option. Been deleted for about 4 months and 10,000 miles with no problems. I gained about 2-3mpg and went from driving my truck like a grandpa to driving like the 21 year old I am lol. With your truck being a 2013 it should have the turbo problem fixed. The biggest thing is no matter how you drive it let it cool off BEFORE you shut it off. Its a pain in the butt but after every ride I let my egt's drop down to about 112C (234F), which is where it seems to stay when the truck is idling at temperature, and let it idle for a good 3-5 minutes depending on the drive I just made.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you guys for the info. I think I am going to do it when I can talk the wife into letting me withdraw a few grand to buy the stuff. Haha.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMKeith View Post
Thank you guys for the info. I think I am going to do it when I can talk the wife into letting me withdraw a few grand to buy the stuff. Haha.
You won't regret it and your truck will thank you. Remember to tell your wife that it will pay itself off in fuel savings, might help to get her to say yes haha. That was the point that got my girlfriend to give me the ok lol. Also if you do the work yourself it'll save you a couple hundred bucks, I did all the work on my truck and I am NO mechanic by any means
Old 06-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah.... Better hope you have a good turbo! Lol. I'm deleted an the whole Shabang. I don't regret it at all, powers there an the trucks badass. Just the first month my turbo blowing up def lingered in my head.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Ive been deleted for close to 60000 miles now, and 2 years. Zero issues! I have a job 1 2011, which is where most of the turbo issues came from, the early production trucks. I dont always baby it, but I def dont just get in it and pound it either. I have my defuels set, and pay close attention to timing, boost, coolant temp and EGTs. If you decide to delete, you will love it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.