Tuner question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner question?

Originally I thought my mind was made up. I was going to run a deleted spartan 165 tune on my truck. I am a set it and forget it kinda guy. I want to drop the truck off at a reputable diesel shop out here in ny, and pick it back up and it's tuned and deleted. I was told from my research that the Spartan using the data dash software programming was the most undetectable as far as if I ever wished to return the truck to stock. I was told however the truck does log minimums and maximums and with the spartan tuner my speed limiter is disabled. So if I ever ran my truck over the factory 95mph speed limiter they would be able to tell. However as long as I don't run the truck over that speed they can never tell because the spartan puts the trucks stock file back on when it is removed. From my understanding the h&s does not. However all the talk of hard shifting and lack of costumer support from spartan has me a little worried. Everyone with h&s seems to be very happy. I was also told if you want to remove the h&s you let the battery drain done and then it removes the code that is left by the tuner? Is that at all true? I am perfectly fine with accepting the responsibility for cranking the boost and replacing a turbo on my own dime. I have replaced many. They die when you boost em hard no way around it. Just encase major catastrophe I would like to be able to return to stock. For peace of mind. Anyone have some insight? My truck is a 12.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was in the same boat you were. I cant talk for spartan, although i have heard there tuners are outta this world and the power is insane. Although I have heard the same about there customer service and hard shifts.... I made my mind up and went with an H&S. The tuner is fantastic and yes so is their customer service. The tuner pretty much went into my truck and hasnt moved since, unless i need to update. I highly doubt that about the whole battery drain thing. Just because you drain the battery doesnt mean that it will just erase the files randomly off the computer lol. I wish it worked that way but it doesnt. Now with the new update i havnt seen my boost go over 27psi, it was hitting like 34 psi sometimes before the previous update. i have an 2011
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just traded of my Spartan tuned 2010. my new 6.7 will not be getting tuned!! I blew a head gasket on my 6.4. anyway here is what I was told, by no means do I know for sure but from the many performance shops I talked too this what the told me. all tuner leave a foot print,the Spartan is harder to find. ford engineers have figured out to not look for thr tuner but rather how many starts were on the truck.with dumping the stock tune back the day to day data log gets effected. and one guy told me you can run a 300 h&s no prob but the Spartan has too much timing. how that effects things I don't know. i'm sure the guys will rip me a new one but that was my experience with tuners and it was not a good one.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Very interesting. Like I said I am not looking to go crazy with the high hp tunes. Just want to run something conservative like a spartan 125 or 165 or just h&s wild tune. I just want to delete it to clean it up a little. My truck doesn't behave as bad I guess as some of the others through regeneration. I can hardly tell. Just would like to lower egts and not have to fill urea.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Banned

The latest h and s update does a good job of limiting boost. I would stick with that, and not go any hotter. Like you said the turbo is already over the rated speed it was designed for. Pushing it further is just a bad idea.

but the spartan or h and s would be great just keep them on the lower settings
Old 05-31-2013, 03:39 AM

Any more info on this topic would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.