6.7 Tuner Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion 6.7 Performance Parts Discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 Tuner Advice

Hi guys i'm located in Deer Park Texas. I need advice from the more knowledgeable members. I have a 2011 F250 6.7. It has a CEL on it right now, it has shut down on me twice.It gave me the "stop safely" message both times. When I took it to the dealer it turned out to be one of my sensors on the exhaust.

The cost of the repair is about $200 plus labor and tax. My truck has 85000 miles on it.

I am thinking about getting it tuned. I got a quote for $2100 installed. This consists of a H&S mini maxx , flo pro pipes and tunes from Modern Diesel Legion. Is this a good deal? One of the things thats "iffy" is that they have a core charge of $400 if you want to keep your exhaust/dpf. So it would actually bring the costs up to $2500 if I want to keep my parts. Would you keep your parts?

The other option was to buy everything separate and install it myself with the help of my friends.

Any thoughts...Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 135
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxman View Post
Hi guys i'm located in Deer Park Texas. I need advice from the more knowledgeable members. I have a 2011 F250 6.7. It has a CEL on it right now, it has shut down on me twice.It gave me the "stop safely" message both times. When I took it to the dealer it turned out to be one of my sensors on the exhaust.

The cost of the repair is about $200 plus labor and tax. My truck has 85000 miles on it.

I am thinking about getting it tuned. I got a quote for $2100 installed. This consists of a H&S mini maxx , flo pro pipes and tunes from Modern Diesel Legion. Is this a good deal? One of the things thats "iffy" is that they have a core charge of $400 if you want to keep your exhaust/dpf. So it would actually bring the costs up to $2500 if I want to keep my parts. Would you keep your parts?

The other option was to buy everything separate and install it myself with the help of my friends.

Any thoughts...Advice?
I would do it myself in a heartbeat. I deleted the exhaust by myself in my driveway in a few hours. The tuning is as simple as plugging it in a following the prompts. I just used the stock H&S tunes that came with the tuner so I can't speak for the tuning that they are selling you. For them to charge you to keep your own parts is hilarious, and yes I would absolutely keep the DPF. But it makes since for them, they charge you $400 to keep it and then they can charge a couple thousand to you or someone else who needs to return to stock or replace theirs when it will inevitably go bad. Craziness!

So I say most definitely delete your truck, (and keep your stock parts) but save some cash and do it yourself, its pretty easy once you get under there. Your truck will be a different animal once its done and I think you will be pleasantly surprised!


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mr Powell
I wouldn't think twice and the guys at MDL are a stand up group. Jessie and I have known each other since we were 16. He will be swapping my Carli 2.5" setup's Billestien 5100s out for the King PinTop's in a week or two. Usually do all my work in house but our lifts are currently taken by car in my sig and our 280Z 2JZ project, but talked to him tonight about having them do it.

You will not regret the delete and exhaust!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 317
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I deleted my 2012 F250 and now my 2013 F250. took 2 hours to take exhaust off. Thats being carful and removing as many as possible off truck. Did it in my driveway bymyself with help of floor jack. Presoaked all bolts and bungs for a week. Installed Diamond Eye 4" downpipe back exhaust in an hour. (mini maxx with delete files $1200) (exhaust $283 shipped.) Also ordered EGR cooler delete but hasnt arrived yet. that will probably take 4 hours but EGR delete kit from Synder performance is $161. You dont need to delete cooler though just block it off atleast then you'll be able to reconnect stock EGT prob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 210a Maple Ave
Posts: 799
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
We would charge 2500 installed at the shop for that work.
So the 400 dollar core is about what they will sell the exhaust for.
Sounds like a really good way to treat a customer and get you a good price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 135
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfd_shop View Post
We would charge 2500 installed at the shop for that work.
So the 400 dollar core is about what they will sell the exhaust for.
Sounds like a really good way to treat a customer and get you a good price.
So why would they charge a customer to keep their own DPF/parts? I can see charging for labor, lift fees, consumable fees, disposal fees, etc., but I just don't understand the "core" charge. I mean that's not usually how a core fee works if I am not mistaken, hence why the OP said it seemed kind of "iffy." If this is common practice at shops please explain to us that are confused if you can because I truly want to know and it just seems a little shady. If the person who got rid of their DPF ever needed to go back to stock he is completely shafted and has to either go back to the guys that he paid to dispose of his filter, (and by his own filter back) or go to the dealer and by brand new. Does that not seem strange to anybody else?

Again if I am missing something please fill in the blanks. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 210a Maple Ave
Posts: 799
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshelton13 View Post
So why would they charge a customer to keep their own DPF/parts? I can see charging for labor, lift fees, consumable fees, disposal fees, etc., but I just don't understand the "core" charge. I mean that's not usually how a core fee works if I am not mistaken, hence why the OP said it seemed kind of "iffy." If this is common practice at shops please explain to us that are confused if you can because I truly want to know and it just seems a little shady. If the person who got rid of their DPF ever needed to go back to stock he is completely shafted and has to either go back to the guys that he paid to dispose of his filter, (and by his own filter back) or go to the dealer and by brand new. Does that not seem strange to anybody else?

Again if I am missing something please fill in the blanks. Thanks!
Ok you are thinking about it all wrong. Think of the core as them buying the parts from the customer to help discount the price. I would probably just pay 2500 and keep them in case like you said.
My point is 2500 is a very good price for the tuner and exhaust installed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mr Powell
+1 for what CFD said.

Honestly unless you have the extra space it really isn't worth a damn to keep if you don't have a warranty anymore. I have mine sitting in our storage part of the shop. Just a ~80lb 5ft waste of space that sits on the floor to get pushed around. Probably going to take mine up there because I doubt I will ever put it back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kings River Nevada
Posts: 1,074
Thanks: 33
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I say buy parts and do it yourself. Its pretty easy. Hardest part is removing stock exhaust. But way easy if you have some help.

Unplug 6 sensors , remove rubber hangers drop stock exhaust. (1-2) hours.
Install new exhaust.

Plug tuner in. Install tunes (10-15 )mins

Add egr block off plates with egt probe from stock exhaust. (10-20) mins

I can tell you I got my
Mini Max, ($1000) mbrp 5" exhaust ($400) S&B intake ($300) H&S egr block off plates ($40) and H&S MCC tuning ($199) and SPE hot X tune ($100)

I installed everything myself with a help from a buddy. Total cost $2,039 + a case of Coors light. Haha.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 210a Maple Ave
Posts: 799
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why did you pay 1000 for the tuner. We sell the for 855.
Custom tune 100
License 200
4"exhaust 429
Intake 339

Be careful with the spe tune we just had to replace a turbo on a truck that had it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors